What's new

My Oppo BDP93 is Kaput - Need New Player (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It won't recognize any disc. I suppose repair is possible, but it doesn't seem like it lasted that long, but maybe 4 years (I think) is supposed to be good enough.

So since I need a new player, why not make it an all region player? It would need to handle 3D. It would be nice if it also handled those foreign discs that have some sort of different frequency on them? I don't remember exactly what that refers to but I know some foreign discs (TV shows I think) have a different frequency the player has to handle.

It doesn't have to be Oppo. I'm not that fond of their prices. Just needs to quality with at least two HDMI outs.

I'd sure appreciate recommendations.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It would also be nice if the player had apps for Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services. Amazon and Netflix would be the two most important.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
The OPPOs are well built with quality parts and pretty bulletproof. It may be a simple fix like cleaning the laser - if that doesn't get results I'd at least send it back to OPPO for a diagnosis.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I powered it off and it started playing the discs but no sound. Powered it off again and sound came back. It has done the sound thing before. Sure, I can have it repaired, but I'll have no player while that's happening. So I'm still interested in recommendations. Once I have a replacement, I'll send the Oppo in and then I'll have a spare for the bedroom.

I also wouldn't mind if it was UHD capable, but it it's cheap enough it doesn't have to be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Johnny Angell said:
It would also be nice if the player had apps for Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services. Amazon and Netflix would be the two most important.
I bought my LG-530 from this retailer. The link below has all of their region free players listed so you can investigate which player fits your needs and price range.

http://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My receiver doesn't support 3D. One HDMI gores directly to the TV for video and the other to my receiver fir audio.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Johnny Angell said:
My receiver doesn't support 3D. One HDMI gores directly to the TV for video and the other to my receiver fir audio.
It may be less expensive for a 2-fer here...

Basic multi-region around $150 and a newer AVR. Not new...just newer.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
schan1269 said:
It may be less expensive for a 2-fer here...
Basic multi-region around $150 and a newer AVR. Not new...just newer.
Care to make a recommendation? I have a 7.1 speaker setup. Current avR is Denon 2809CI.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Johnny Angell said:
Care to make a recommendation? I have a 7.1 speaker setup. Current avR is Denon 2809CI.
There is a 3311 on Fleabay, the seller(using it with NHT) doesn't mention the remote. I'd ask if it does. Several remotes otherwise on there as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just noticed, foul on the play on that 3311.

Dufus seller has a 3805. Not a 3311.

But...

Anything ending in 11/12 or if 3 digits...91, will work. That generation was the beginning of 1.4.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Johnny Angell said:
How are these players region free? Have they been modded by 220 Electronics? Does this void any manufacturers warranty?

Yes to both questions, but I believe they supply their own warranty.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I haven't had the problem for several days now but I think this is a simmering problem waiting to become a total failure. I'm now leaning towards sending it back for repair and doing a region mod. Are mods still available for the 93?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I've told my wife that the only item on my Christmas list this year is an Oppo BDP-103. I haven't decided whether to mod it but I probably will not since I don't own any BDs or DVDs other than region 1 or region free.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I've read that Oppo can get a player back to you in less than a week, I've even read of a couple days (shipping time is the limiting factor, I think).

A dirty laser lens can cause all sorts of intermittent problems. Oppo doesn't mind if you clean it yourself, that's the first thing they'll recommend if you contact them, for your own convenience/downtime minimization, they don't "mind" you sending the unit in.

I have a 93, and an 83 that's still chugging along just fine. So it's not like your 93 is "used up". Yes you can still get all-region kits for the 93, you can do it for free for DVDs but need the kit for BDs.

Edit: Some UK (e.g.) TV BDs are in 1080i/50 format. As long as they are "region free", the 93 will play them without any HW mod kit. Note that UK amazon doesn't call BDs that are technically all-region/region-free "region free" if they have 50Hz content like that on them, because most North American players won't play them, but Oppos will.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Oppo often will fix stuff at a flat rate and get it back to you. I have 5 of them. Two 103Ds (one in the main AV system just for video and one in a secondary system for both Audio and Video), a 93 in the bedroom system, a modded 83 in another back-up system and I have a DV980H (DVD universal) which is not connected but it was easy to make it region free (a 4 digit code with the remote) and while I just have one non-region disc, I leave it there just in case I buy something.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'm going to call Oppo tomorrow and find out what it takes to get this fixed. Not sure how I'd clean the laser myself. Maybe they can tell me. It still has not repeated the problem. I can see where a dirty laser might cause the player not to recognize a disc, but would it cause no audio to be output when it does play a disc? That was an intermittent problem too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks