What's new

No Sound when using USB Memory stick & Onkyo TX-SR605 (1 Viewer)

Jacton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
My system is set up to receive my sat signal (connected to my TV via HDMI) with the sound connected to my amp also via HDMI, however when I just try to use a USB stick to play a movie direct from my TV and Onkyo for the surround sound, i Get nothing.

I can get the sound via the TV itself but cannot get the sound to come out of the Onkyo receiver.

Can anybody help please

Jacton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
My TV is connect to my Sat box via HDMI and Sat box to Onkyo via HDMI.

TV to Onkyo via HDMI in socket

I have tried to connect my TV to the Onkyo amp via Red,Yellow, white cable.

So yes i think i have the sat box and the TV connected to each other via HDMI and both to the Amp at the same time, but that is how it is in the AV Component Hookup Instructions, is this wrong?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Are you sure the format is supported by the receiver. I know I have run across situations where certain older versions of supported software don't work and also where there are settings that need to be changed. I'd try the "TV back to the Onkyo" connection" first.

Jacton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Sorry schan1269 My sat box has only one HDMI which is connected to the TV, the TV is connected to both the Sat box and the Amp.

PhilA it always used to work until I moved to a new home and I must have set it up all wrong as since then I have had this problem.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your sat box goes to Onkyo. Onkyo goes to the TV(both via HDMI).

Your TV, I hope, has an audio output. That goes to the Onkyo, just like a CD player, cassette deck, record player, your phone, iPod, computer or anything else for that matter.

Jacton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Schan1269 correct I have checked both owner manuals and I have connected a red/white cable to where it should be on both the TV and the Onkyo but no sound, so there must be something wrong in the Audio setting on the Onkyo amp, but not sure what

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Are there audio settings on the TV? How about audio outputs (e.g. do you have one that says fixed and another variable)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That TV doesn't have an analog audio output. Are you not reading what inputs(many) and outputs(only one) it has?

Toslink. Buy one.

(how are you even getting "sat sound" when nothing is connected correctly?)

Jacton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Sorry not sure what you mean. As i have said I get my surround sound via my Sat box, or DVD player. Basically I use the TV as a monitor only, but obviously when i put a USB stick in I am having to use the TV sound to be able to hear the movies playing on the stick.

I guess I will have to continue to use it this way.

Thanks for all your help

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Reading between the lines, you are plugging the USB stick into a USB port on the TV, correct? I note from looking at the manual that HDMI input 2 supports ARC. This is the input you should be using for the HDMI out from your Onkyo, and should pass ALL audio played on the TV to your receiver. If not, you may wish to confirm that your firmware on the Panny is up to date.

Jacton

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Thank for that Stephen_J_H. That is my set up but not sure i understand what ARC is.

As a novice to all this I understand that as my TV is connected to my Sat box via HDMI all my sound is sent from the sat box to my Onkyo amp also by HDMI.

But when using the TV USB port with a USB stick, even though the TV is also connected to the Onkyo amp via HDMI and White/Red cable I cannot get any sound from the amp, so I use the TV's own sound system.

The TV's software is upto date with the latest version loaded.

If I disconnect the Sat box i still cannot get any sound to come from the amp when just watching TV so i can only assume that the Amp settings are where I am going wrong but don't know what I have actually set up wrong.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
ARC is audio return channel, which should send anything input to the TV audio-wise to the receiver, so long as the receiver is on and the input set to Game/TV (as it is labeled on your receiver). In your case, though, it looks ARC only appears to work for HDMI sources (as you indicated your sat box is plugged into the TV; I run my cable box into my Onkyo, and it is then output to the TV. I can turn off the receiver and HDMI pass-thru allows the cable box to output audio through the TV speakers, though I never use that function), and Sam has already identified one other issue, which is that while your TV has white/red audio outs, they appear to be lumped in with your component inputs, which further suggests that they may only output audio from those inputs on the TV. The solution in your case would be one of two things:

(1) Do you use both the optical inputs on your receiver? If you're not using the one marked CD, consider running the optical out from your plasma to that one, and switch your receiver to CD to get the audio from items stored on the USB stick

(2) if both optical inputs on your receiver are occupied, all is not lost. Get one of these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_15?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=digital+optical+to+rca&sprefix=digital+optical%2Caps%2C696 and run an optical cable from your TV into it, then run the red and whites to the Game/TV input on your receiver.

Let me know how it works out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks