What's new

From 245 to 208 and losing (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I'm curious to hear from others who have lost weight as well. Here's my story:

At one point I became a soda junkie. I would grab a one liter before work and drink on it all day; it was an everyday occurrence for me sadly. Making matters worse, I became a fast foodaholic, eating McDonald's for breakfast and Sonic for lunch. I quickly ballooned to almost 245 and was diabetic on Metformin. I was wearing a size 2x shirt and a 42 waist pant. I might lose a pound or two here and there, but nothing major.

I finally got back down to around 230ish last year after being away from a very stressful job and starting back to school. I got earnest about it this past winter; I became really good friends with a childhood friend and her hubby and she started showing me ways to eat healthy that were tasty. I no longer eat fried foods except for the rarest occasion and I only eat very healthy cuts of meat. Sodas are pretty much gone, replaced by glasses of ice water.

I'm down to 208 now and still losing. Gone are the 40 and 42 waist pants as are the XXL shirts. I'm down to a sure 38 waist with some 36 waist pants fitting. I've beat the diabetes, officially going off my medication about two weeks ago!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ron:

Major congratulations!

Lifestyle changes are the way to go. Diets don't work in the long term. It's all about making the changes in our daily life that allow us to eat right and get the exercise we need.

While it's all good...getting off the medications must be at the top of your list of accomplishments! :thumbsup:

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mike Frezon said:
Ron:

Major congratulations!

Lifestyle changes are the way to go. Diets don't work in the long term. It's all about making the changes in our daily life that allow us to eat right and get the exercise we need.

While it's all good...getting off the medications must be at the top of your list of accomplishments! :thumbsup:
That's certainly the top thing, Mike. The Metformin that I was on for the diabetes was literally leaving my stomach in knots. I understand not everyone can "beat" diabetes, but in my case I brought it on with the wrong food/beverage choices and I felt I could reverse it with the appropriate lifestyle changes. I try to walk frequently; I logged 7.8 miles this evening, so that is certainly a help!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron,

On 10-28-14, my A1C shot up to 8.1 after a Halloween candy binge. My doctor immediately put me on Metformin. However, after some deep reflection on my part which took several weeks, I decided to not take one single pill of that medication. I heard horror stories as to what that medication does to your stomach. My choice was to instead undergo not a diet, but a life style change. The day after the Super Bowl, I cut out all red meat, pork, just about all carbohydrates, no junk food or foods and drinks with processed sugar in them. I started eating nuts, fruits, Greek non-fat yogurt, dark, green leafy vegetables like Kale and Spinach along with some other vegetables. I have servings of mushrooms, red/orange peppers and sweet onions every day because I absolutely some them. Most of my protein comes from salmon, extra lean ground turkey and skinless chicken breasts. In short, I eat a lot of fiber. I drink at least 100 ounces of water per day as well as some skim milk. Except for six weeks of downtime due to some leg surgeries this summer I work out in the gym, two hours every day. The last day I missed was Labor Day because my gym was closed. I do plenty of weight training and cardio during my times at the gym. I get up 3:00 a.m. most mornings to work out at my 24 hour gym as I want my workout to be the first thing I accomplish every single day. Being retired now, this schedule works out even better for me. :)

On 09-04-15, my A1C was down to 5.6. My previous two A1C test results were 6.0. My blood pressure has dropped from 152/86 to 126/76. I've lost 60 lbs. and would have lost another 12 lbs if it wasn't for me not being able to work out for those six weeks this past summer.

Needless to say, my doctor for almost 20 years can't believe the transformation. I went from being a patient she threaten to drop because I refuse to heed her advice on getting healthy to being someone obsessed with their health. I think part of my motivation besides wanting to get healthy and wanting to feel better about myself was to prove to her, as well as myself that medication is not always the answer to health problems. With the weight loss, my joints feel better and it helped with my recovery from those leg surgeries. I want to lose another 75 lbs which would drop me to my college football playing weight. I will not alter my eating habits for another 14-15 months. After that time, I will allow some red meat and more carbs into my diet, but with extreme moderation. My daily workout routine will stay intact.

To be honest, I'm even surprising myself. For me to give up steak, pizza, pasta, potato chips and etc. is rather shocking to me. I used to eat out 5 times a week and now, since February, I've been to a sit down restaurant three times with no visits to any fast food place. I'm in my ninth month of transformation and I haven't felt this good for at least 20 years.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Crawford said:
Ron,

On 10-28-14, my A1C shot up to 8.1 after a Halloween candy binge. My doctor immediately put me on Metformin. However, after some deep reflection on my part which took several weeks, I decided to not take one single pill of that medication. I heard horror stories as to what that medication does to your stomach. My choice was to instead undergo not a diet, but a life style change. The day after the Super Bowl, I cut out all red meat, pork, just about all carbohydrates, no junk food or foods and drinks with processed sugar in them. I started eating nuts, fruits, Greek non-fat yogurt, dark, green leafy vegetables like Kale and Spinach along with some other vegetables. I have servings of mushrooms, red/orange peppers and sweet onions every day because I absolutely some them. Most of my protein comes from salmon, extra lean ground turkey and skinless chicken breasts. In short, I eat a lot of fiber. I drink at least 100 ounces of water per day as well as some skim milk. Except for six weeks of downtime due to some leg surgeries this summer I work out in the gym, two hours every day. The last day I missed was Labor Day because my gym was closed. I do plenty of weight training and cardio during my times at the gym. I get up 3:00 a.m. most mornings to work out at my 24 hour gym as I want my workout to be the first thing I accomplish every single day. Being retired now, this schedule works out even better for me. :)

On 09-04-15, my A1C was down to 5.6. My previous two A1C test results were 6.0. My blood pressure has dropped from 152/86 to 126/76. I've lost 60 lbs. and would have lost another 12 lbs if it wasn't for me not being able to work out for those six weeks this past summer.

Needless to say, my doctor for almost 20 years can't believe the transformation. I went from being a patient she threaten to drop because I refuse to heed her advice on getting healthy to being someone obsessed with their health. I think part of my motivation besides wanting to get healthy and wanting to feel better about myself was to prove to her, as well as myself that medication is not always the answer to health problems. With the weight loss, my joints feel better and it helped with my recovery from those leg surgeries. I want to lose another 75 lbs which would drop me to my college football playing weight. I will not alter my eating habits for another 14-15 months. After that time, I will allow some red meat and more carbs into my diet, but with extreme moderation. My daily workout routine will stay intact.

To be honest, I'm even surprising myself. For me to give up steak, pizza, pasta, potato chips and etc. is rather shocking to me. I used to eat out 5 times a week and now, since February, I've been to a sit down restaurant three times with no visits to any fast food place. I'm in my ninth month of transformation and I haven't felt this good for at least 20 years.
Robert, good job! I've always struggled with a sweet tooth, so that's been my downfall. I joined a gym in February with my friend, but we didn't stick to it. She stays busy doing hair plus housewife duties and I have college and am a single dad, so it was just a bit hard on us to carve out time for the gym. I stay active, drink lots of water, and love walking. I no longer fry my meat, but I broil or bake it. I eat a lot of chicken, but I opt for a natural brand that Kroger carries; it is boneless and skinless and tastes darn good with the right spices! It is a nice feeling to be losing weight, something I wasn't sure I would ever do. I had a friend who gave me some 36 waist jeans as an incentive, and I can now fit into those comfortably! Not all 36's fit yet, but I'm getting there.

The thing that has pushed me, other than wanting to stay healthy for my kids, is my mother. She's 65 and essentially unable to control her blood sugar even with insulin. She refuses to go to the doctor and I'm not blaming her; the doctors around here don't seem to be about getting you healthy, but about how much medicine they can shove you on. One doctor wanted me on not only Metformin, but blood pressure medication (my BP isn't even high), cholesterol medication (my numbers are good actually), blood thinner and heart medication. No way! So, yeah, I can understand her hesitation. Her sister died about 4 years ago and she was on insulin and Metformin together; my mother felt like it was the Metformin that killed her. I want to do my best to stay away from it as possible.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not that I've ever been "heavy"(heaviest I've ever been is 220), but I've recently made it close to my HS/college weight of 185.

Gotten back to 192 and holding. My impetus...

I had bone spurs on both knees growing up. Got the last of them removed during college. The biggest one I had...all the tendons and ligaments that ran across it are crystallized. I don't wish to get surgery any time soon. Although...knee replacement itself is on the horizon, which I was told that back in my 20s. The spurs caused bone loss...which creates future issues.

Luckily I found a doctor that is "drugs as a last resort". No signs of diabetes(having never been heavier than 220 is a major reason) and my cholesterol(first time to ever have it checked) was slightly elevated. Essentially told 3 servings of high fiber oatmeal is my dietary need to change. I haven't eaten "breakfast" in 4 years(doesn't help when you work 2-10:30pm).

Everybody could eat/live healthier.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ron1973 said:
Robert, good job! I've always struggled with a sweet tooth, so that's been my downfall. I joined a gym in February with my friend, but we didn't stick to it. She stays busy doing hair plus housewife duties and I have college and am a single dad, so it was just a bit hard on us to carve out time for the gym. I stay active, drink lots of water, and love walking. I no longer fry my meat, but I broil or bake it. I eat a lot of chicken, but I opt for a natural brand that Kroger carries; it is boneless and skinless and tastes darn good with the right spices! It is a nice feeling to be losing weight, something I wasn't sure I would ever do. I had a friend who gave me some 36 waist jeans as an incentive, and I can now fit into those comfortably! Not all 36's fit yet, but I'm getting there.

The thing that has pushed me, other than wanting to stay healthy for my kids, is my mother. She's 65 and essentially unable to control her blood sugar even with insulin. She refuses to go to the doctor and I'm not blaming her; the doctors around here don't seem to be about getting you healthy, but about how much medicine they can shove you on. One doctor wanted me on not only Metformin, but blood pressure medication (my BP isn't even high), cholesterol medication (my numbers are good actually), blood thinner and heart medication. No way! So, yeah, I can understand her hesitation. Her sister died about 4 years ago and she was on insulin and Metformin together; my mother felt like it was the Metformin that killed her. I want to do my best to stay away from it as possible.
Ron,

Same here, I eat the natural brand of chicken that Meijer's carry here in Michigan. I love me some spices on my chicken.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
schan1269 said:
Not that I've ever been "heavy"(heaviest I've ever been is 220), but I've recently made it close to my HS/college weight of 185.

Gotten back to 192 and holding. My impetus...

I had bone spurs on both knees growing up. Got the last of them removed during college. The biggest one I had...all the tendons and ligaments that ran across it are crystallized. I don't wish to get surgery any time soon. Although...knee replacement itself is on the horizon, which I was told that back in my 20s. The spurs caused bone loss...which creates future issues.

Luckily I found a doctor that is "drugs as a last resort". No signs of diabetes(having never been heavier than 220 is a major reason) and my cholesterol(first time to ever have it checked) was slightly elevated. Essentially told 3 servings of high fiber oatmeal is my dietary need to change. I haven't eaten "breakfast" in 4 years(doesn't help when you work 2-10:30pm).

Everybody could eat/live healthier.
That's another thing I'm looking at. Not just the blood glucose levels, but the health of my joints. I took after my mother's side of the family when it comes to health issues. My poor dad will be 70 next year and he's as healthy as a horse! My uncle on my mother's side had knee replacement before middle age. He died of a heart attack somewhere a little over 10 years ago, so there's yet another reason to get healthy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks