What's new

Hands Up! Sorting Out The Crime Dramas Of The Past 15 Years (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
After vast wasteland of TV entertainment from the late 80's through the late 90's, I think we can agree that TV experienced a marked improvement IMO. What I wanted to look at today is an analysis of the evolution of the crima drama during that time and see how they stack up. Let's begin with a little historical perspective.

Going into 2000, there were no longer many good quality crima dramas airing. NYPD Blue, Sopranos, and Law and Order were about it at that time (and personally I'm no huge fan of the original L&O, although I recognize it's historical significance. Starting though in 2000 (with the original CSI) a new brand of crima solvers hit the airwaves. The new brand was an extrememly graphic, realistic take on law enforcement and crime.Gone were the lone wolf detectives and mixed race/gender partners and now everthing was done in teams by an ensemble cast. Shows during this period fell primarily in one of two camps:

1) Standard Crime/Cop/Fed - CSI and it's spinoffs, NCIS and it's spinoffs, L&O SVU and Criminal Intent, Cold Case, Without A Trace, Criminal Minds, 24, Hawaii Five O

2) The Hook Shows - You know the drill, "Fill In the blank civilian character" with some odd ability/power/connection helps proper law enforcement solve crimes - Bones, Castle, Mentalist, Lie To Me, Blacklist, Numbers, Person Of Interest, Dexter, Blindspot, Limitless

So my question is which ones were the best and which fell flat in your opinion. Now I'm not talking about rating winners, as I think we all know isn't necessarily indicative of quality programming (Full House anyone?). I'm talking about which shows were actually good entertainment as far as you are concerned. As an example, I personally can't stand NCIS. Yeah, I know, it's the most popular crima drama out there, but I can't stand the thing. Outside of David McCallum and Harmon, I can't stand the characters on the show. I find them extremely annoying. Anyway, curious what you guys think. Here's my own top 5

1) Cold Case - Unlike most of the other shows of this period and ilk, they downpayed the glamour and sex in this one. Not a ton of T&A like many of the others. Just a gritty crime drama. Writing was great and the characters were not only believable but seemed more real to me. Plus the period music make a music collector like me put this one right up at the top.

2) 24 - This show was one of a kind. The scructure of show may it almost imposssible to copy, unlike many other hits of the time. A show done in real time? A season based on one day? Genius. truly original. And Sutherland did one hell of a job playing Jack Bauer.

3) CSI - The Original - Groundbreaking. Pushed the envelope on showing crime scenes at their most real. Super graphic but super fun. Now everyone does it and tries to outdo each other in shock value, but at the time it was truly innovative. And William Peterson was perfectly cast as Gil.

4) Without A Trace - I think as far as ensembles go, this group really had some terrific chemistry. The missing persons angle was a little bit of a more interesting different twist to all the other CSI clones going on at the time to.

5) Person Of Interest - This one really gets overlooked by many people and seen as another clone of ones that came before it but it is quite different and the plot is so compelling ( and unfortunately more true to life than we probably know). When every other show out there was trying to one-up each other on graphic violence, along came Reese and Finch who try to avoid killing if they are able. Emerson and Cavezial have great chemistry too.

Lastly.... Taraji is there for the first 2+ seasons. Frankly, they could cast her in an insurance infomercial and I'd be watching. LOL

Your turn...

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I still love Law & Order: SVU to this day. I caught an episode the other day, and I have to say it hasn't suffered in the least. Many shows go downhill when they start getting in the Bonanza/Gunsmoke longevity range; I don't think SVU suffers at all. Mariska Hargitay still looks mighty fine to these eyes, though Ice-T is looking worse for wear.

NCIS still catches my attention when I see it on sometimes. Maybe it's the fact Gibbs has Jethro in his name or the fact I think Abby is as cute as a button! Dang, I'd date her!

I thought 24 was good; my ex-boss got me hooked on it for a while, and like you said, it was something completely unique.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
If I had to though an alternate in the top 5, it would be the Blacklist. Spader is a beast in that role. He really is a great actor with a lot of range. Loved him as Robert California on The Office (US) but I don't think any actor could bring Raymond Reddington to life like he does. Terrifying yet likeable. Pretty hard to pull that off.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On the other side of the coin).

On the low-brow side of crime dramas over the past 25+ years, there was Silk Stalkings during the 1990s.

When I first saw CSI Miami, I thought it was like a "Silk Stalkings part 2". ;)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I suppose it depends upon the criteria. Does Breaking Bad count as a crime drama? There is plenty of crime and drama, but it isn't really told from the perspective of law enforcement.

Breaking Bad - One of the few series I've ever seen where every, and I do mean every, episode works. The consistent excellence of this series continues to impress me to this day. Very creative story telling and extremely clever at times, the series engages and never lets up.

The Wire - I've only seen the first season; and I'm not certain why that is the case (the comprehensive Blu-Ray release is on my shelf). Having said that, season one is incredibly well written. The show is populated by a number of memorable characters and the series is like watching a novel unfold with the season long story arc. If I'd seen more of the series it might have supplanted Breaking Bad at the top of my list; that is how good season one was in my estimation.

Person of Interest - A favorite from the first episode. I really have enjoyed seeing an alternate version of Ben Linus; one that works for good in the personage of Finch. Solid chemistry from the cast and some very intelligent observations on contemporary society. The action gets a bit over the top at times, but hey it is television. The show has always done a splendid job of mixing music to the onscreen action. Shame it is probably done after this season but I learned a long time ago to not get too attached to television programs.

The Mentalist - A flawed series that really mis-handled in some ways the reveal of Patrick Jane's arch nemesis, but for me this series was all about Simon Baker's charming protagonist. I really enjoyed the mix of serious, somber content lightened by the humor that came from Jane's eccentric methods and personality. One of my favorite series simply on the basis of the protagonist.

Longmire - Another series that makes the list to a large degree on the strength of its lead character. Robert Taylor is perfectly cast as the wise and grizzled sheriff Walt Longmire. I think this show has, on occasions, some of the better cinematography in a weekly series. There was a film noir inspired episode in season two that was beautifully shot. The various locations that serve as the setting for the show really contribute to the visual excellence of the series as well.

That's five. I could probably list a lot more as I certainly watch too many procedurals but these are all easy selections for best / favorite / most enjoyable.

- Walter.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I hadn't considered Breaking Bad as a member of this genre, but if you want to include it, it would certainly go straight to the to the top of my list. IMO. it would also be in any discussion of the best programs of all time regardless of genre. It truly was an incredible show. Groundbreaking and impossible to immitate. The acting, writing, soundtrack, cinematography all were superb. Not a bad episode produced IMO. Cranston and Paul have to go down as two of the best characters ever along with Esposito who could very well be the best TV villian ever to come along. I was particularly impressed with Dean Norris. I came from a law enforcement family and his potrayal of an old school cop is very real, right down to the personality and dialog.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
I am a sucker for police procedurals and crime dramas. Here's the one's that have been mainstays on our DVR over the past 15 years:

1- NCIS

2- Bones

3- Burn Notice (maybe a stretch for this category)

4- White Collar

5- NCIS: Los Angeles

6- Person of Interest

7- Longmire

8- Criminal Minds

9- Law and Order SVU

10- NumbErs

11- NCIS New Orleans

12- The Glades

The CSI's never hooked me. Watched "24" for the first 4 seasons then just lost interest.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Depending on if you limit this category to Crime Law Enforcement, or widen it to crime in general, then a HUGE vote should go to The Sopranos as #1

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Richard V said:
Depending on if you limit this category to Crime Law Enforcement, or widen it to crime in general, then a HUGE vote should go to The Sopranos as #1
If you want to widen the umbrella, I would have also included Prison Break as one of the best. Superbly written and well acted. A very different take on the traditional crime show.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
As I grew up in England, most of my choices have a decidedly "English" feel. More importantly to me they tend to be on the dark side of human nature.

Here goes ( in no particular order )

1. Poirot

2. Miss Marple

3. Inspector Morse

4. Inspector Lewis

5. DCI Banks

6. Case Histories

7. Shetland

8. Longmire

9. Wallander

10. Sherlock

Regards

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I avoid the ABC/NBC/CBS/Fox/WB broadcast network crime/cop/detective/spy shows (they just haven't captured my interest), but as far as original cable series I've seen, I'll list ten:

1. The Wire

2. Boardwalk Empire

3. Breaking Bad

4. Fargo (going by Season 1; I haven't seen the Season 2 premiere yet)

5. Justified

6. The Americans

7. Terriers (one of the very best "one-season wonders", ever)

8. Dexter (faltered a little in its last season or so, and ended on the weak side, though I still love it all)

9. The Shield (I still have to see the end of Season 6, and the final Season 7, but it's been an impressive ride so far)

10. True Detective (going by Season 1 only; I haven't seen Season 2 yet)

Runners-up:

* Sons of Anarchy

* The Sopranos (often brilliant, though I think it ran a season or two too long, and it started to wear out its welcome, imho)

* Longmire (I'm a few seasons behind on this... Season 1 was quite good, though)

* The Bridge (American remake)

* Burn Notice (not on as high a tier as the other shows I've listed, but it's fun... though it went on a season or so too long; the last season is pretty much a waste of space)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The Obsolete Man said:
What, no mentions of Monk and Psych yet?

And on the British side, for our poster who grew up in England, Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes.
I really enjoyed the American version of Life On Mars as well. Also, Life w/ Damian Lewis was pretty good as well

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the American version of Life On Mars as well. Also, Life w/ Damian Lewis was pretty good as well

Agreed on both counts. I loved the uncertainty that plagued Jason O'Mara's character throughout Life on Mars. As an aside, two memories from the single season of the American version. a) Great use of The Sweet's Little Willy in the first episode. b) At the end of one of the episodes I was really wondering if Sam Tyler was going to murder a kid who would (or was it might?) grow up to become someone pretty horrible.

I tend to favor eccentricities in my protagonists and that certainly fit Damian Lewis' Charlie Crews in the series Life. Didn't care as much for the second season of Life, but the first season was a little gem of a show.

- Walter.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Frank, it missed your cutoff a bit, but The Commish was still airing in the mid-90's and was a quality show IMHO.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Watched and enjoyed several of these series: all of the Law and Orders, NYPD Blue, Life, Life on Mars, The Mentalist, Person of Interest. Do I own any of them? No. Would I ever buy any of them? No.

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
Law & Order and Law & Order: Criminal Intent (the latter preferably with Goren and Eames and Logan/Wheeler/Barek). Jeff Goldblum's Zack Nichols didn't thrill me.

And I only liked the first couple seasons of Law & Order: SVU. Got too depressing far too quickly, for me.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Neil Brock said:
Watched and enjoyed several of these series: all of the Law and Orders, NYPD Blue, Life, Life on Mars, The Mentalist, Person of Interest. Do I own any of them? No. Would I ever buy any of them? No.
I once felt that way too Neil with regard to buying the more current stuff. But, I figure with new releases of classic shows pretty much on their last legs, I gotta buy something. Plus the DVD extras on some of this stuff (Breaking Bad, etc) are incredible. I mean let's face the real facts here, the classic DVD TV hobby (especially the pre 70's stuff) is for the most part dead and just awaiting final burial in the next couple years. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks