– Aaladdin – 1992

– The Phantom of the Opera – 2003)

–Tomorrowland – 2015

–San Andreas – 2015

– Vampires – 1998

– Dope – 2015

The Prices

Posted Image

Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

HD-DVD Amazon BestBuy Target
Charlie Daniels Band - Love @ Billy Bob's Texas $21.98

Posted Image

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
100, The:   Season 2   $29.84
Above and Beyond $13.49
Avenging Fist, The   $9.99
Ballet Boys   $24.95
Bates Motel:  Season 3     $24.99 $24.99
Billy Elliot: The Musical Live   $14.99
Bionic Woman, The:  Complete Series      $53.83
Brood, The [Criterion Collection]  $22.99
Dope   $16.99 $16.99 $16.99
Following, The:  Complete Series     $84.99
Following, The:  Season 3 [Final Season]     $29.98
Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce:  Season One      $39.98
Gloria [2015]   $19.98
Good Witch: Season 1 $14.95
Heroes:  The Complete Series       $74.92
James Bond Gadgets   $9.97
Justified:  The Complete Series     $79.99 $79.99
Ken Burns' The Civil War [25th Anniversary]   $68.99
Little Death, The  $26.98
Mad Men:  The Complete Collection     $169.96
Mad Men:  The Final Season, Part 2     $24.98 $24.99 $19.99
Regular Show: The Movie   $11.93
San Andreas   $14.99 $14.99 $16.99
Six Million Dollar Man, The:  Complete Series     $98.91
Special Day, A [Criterion Collection]  $22.99
Tomorrowland   $14.99 $16.99
Wayward Pines:  Season One     $x.xx
W.C. Fields Comedy Essentials Collection   $79.99

Posted Image

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
15 Minutes    $14.98
Aladdin     $19.77 $19.99 $22.99
Along Came a Spider    $14.98
Bates Motel:  Season 3      $41.78 $29.99
Big Eden $19.99
Billy Elliot: The Musical Live    $24.18
Black Widow  [Twilight Time] 
Brood, The  [Criterion Collection]  $27.99
Call Me Lucky $29.98
Class Of Nuke 'Em High III: The Good, The Bad And The Subhumanoid    $14.99
Company Business    $14.49
Core, The    $14.98
Court Yorga, Vampire  [Twilight Time] 
Devil in a Blue Dress  [Twilight Time] 
Dope   $19.97 $19.99 $22.99
Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas [Grinchmas Edition]    $14.96
Escape from Alcatraz    $9.98
Following, The:  Complete Series      $99.97
Following, The:  Complete Third and Final Season      $33.69
Gallows, The    $22.99 $22.99
Hard Target $14.96
Heroes:  The Complete Series      $74.92
Indian Summers    $29.99
John Carpenter's Vampires  [Twilight Time] 
Justified:  The Complete Series      $119.99 $119.99
Ken Burns' The Civil War [25th Anniversary]     $89.98
Kiss the Girls $14.98
Land Before Time, The    $16.85
Little Death, The   $29.98
Mad Men:  The Complete Collection      $119.98 $119.99
Mad Men:  The Final Season, Part 2       $24.99 $24.99 $19.99
Malone    $14.49
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance $13.48
Manos: The Hands of Fate    $14.99
Matador:  The Complete Series     $49.98
Matchstick Men    $13.48
Mosquito: 20th Anniversary Edition    $14.99
Nakatomi Plaza: The Die Hard Collection    $x.xx
Phantom of the Opera, The [1929]    $27.99
Pro-Wrestlers Vs. Zombies    $12.99
Requiescant $39.95
Return of Count Yorga, The    $26.95
San Andreas    $19.99 $19.99 $24.99
San Andreas [Blu-ray 3-D]   $27.99 $27.99
Scissors    $14.49
Scream and Scream Again  [Twilight Time] 
Shattered    $14.49
Special Day, A  [Criterion Collection]  $27.99
Strange Invaders  [Twilight Time] 
Sudden Death $19.98
Team America: World Police    $8.99
Theatre Of The Deranged II    $19.95
Tomorrowland    $19.97 $19.99 $19.99
Witness    $9.69

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--More new Twilight Time releases this week.  Pre-order at:   ScreenArchivesEntertainment.com or  TwilightTimeMovies.com.

--At Best Buy, this week, TWO EXCLUSIVE RELEASES--each featuring a unique lenticular cover:  Disney's Aladdin and San Andreas,  San Andreas also has some undefined bonus content. 

--Best Buy also has a deal to mad Men: Season 7 Part 2 and get S7 Part 1 for just $10.  .

--The following  releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all Blu unless otherwise noted):

$14.99:  Spy (DVD)

$18.99:  Spy

$24.99:  Big Bang Theory: S8 (DVD).

$27.99:  Boardwalk Empire: S5 (DVD), True Detective: S1 (DVD), True Blood: S7 (DVD), Game of Thrones: S4 (DVD).

$29.99:  Big Bang Theory: S8, American Horror Story: Freak Show (DVD)

$34.99:  American Horror Story: Freak Show

$89.99:  Star Wars 1-6

--At Best Buy, pre-order either Jurassic World or Inside Out (for $19.99 apiece) and get $5 in My Best Buy Rewards.  Both of those releases have BB EXCLUSIVES:  Jurassic World will have a t-shirt.  Inside Out will have collectible cards..

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  A list of DVDs for $2.99 apiece (up to 35 titles from which to choose).

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE BLU-RAY RELEASE of Disney's Aladdin.  It includes a 32-page storybook and is on sale for $24.99 ($2 more than their regular Blu release).

--Target is also advertising EXCLUSIVE STEELBOOK PACKAGING of it's Blu release of San Andreas this week. 

--Target has the following releases on sale this week:

$9.99:  Captain America: Winter Soldier (Blu), Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (Blu)

$13.99:  Insurgent (DVD)

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Big week this week. Some pretty popular titles...and a fair amount of quantity. Hello fourth quarter! :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone who contributed well-wishes over the past couple of weeks. My post-op recovery is really going great. Positive progress each day--just like the doctor ordered!

And, as always, thanks in advance for the "likes" for the OP. Always very much appreciated! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And...an early RoundUp today...because I could! :thumbs-up-smiley: The local paper and Best Buy flyer cooperated. Enjoy!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks, Mike. Glad to hear your recovery is going well.

If anyone else is interested in Billy Elliot The Musical Live, it's worth noting that BestBuy.com has that on sale for $14.99 for the Blu-ray edition. It's only available for shipping and (presumably) not in the weekly ad, but it is there, and that's quite a bit cheaper than Amazon. I saw this last year in movie theaters when it was shown as a limited-screenings Fathom Event and can confirm that it is sensational.

I have the lenecular cover version of Aladdin coming from BB.com (which in my opinion has much more attractive artwork than the basic edition) and ordered Billy Elliot in the same order. Together, they come to $34.99, so I added a poster for Superbad, which is the cheapest thing I could find for sale, for $0.01, so as to get to Best Buy's $35 free shipping threshold. I miss Prime, but for the price Amazon is charging for it, I can justify waiting a couple days extra to get it.

I would also eventually like to get Tomorrowland, The Phantom of the Opera, The Land Before Time and the Mad Men complete series set because I only have a few of them individually. I would also consider the Justified box set except that I bought each of those seasons individually (what a wonderful way to treat loyal fans who have purchased individual seasons -- new exclusive extras requiring a double dip to get them. Pass.) Anyway, I'll probably end up with the rest of these at some point later, but Aladdin and Billy are enough for right now.

Also -- music fans should note that this upcoming Friday, October 16 is the physical CD release for the cast album of Hamilton, which is probably the most important (and certainly the best-reviewed) hot ticket Broadway show of the last couple decades. It's been out in MP3 format for a few weeks, but I can't wait to get the physical CD.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Big week this week.
Yup. I'll pick up Aladdin, Mad Men: S7- Part Two and Tomorrowland this week. At some point, I'll get The Brood, Manos and Team America.

For what it's worth, Vampires got pushed back at the last second and is now going up for pre-sale on Wednesday.

Thanks for the prices, Mike! :)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the early RoundUp, Mike! Glad to hear you're on the mend.

I'll be picking up Tomorrowland on Tuesday for sure. A great family film, and from Matt Hough's Blu-Ray review it looks like we're in for a great presentation. The press release hinted that different retailers would have different digital copy special features, but none of the major retailers are advertising any exclusives so that plan must have been dropped.

A real bummer that "The 100: Season 2" is DVD only for the mainstream release after the excellent Season 1 Blu-Ray, but it looks like a Season 2 Blu-Ray may be coming down the road through Warner Archive, perhaps as soon as the 27th of this month. I'll hold out for that. I still refuse to pay for SD versions of shows I watched in HD on television. My "Modern Family" collection ends at Season 4 for the same reason.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those looking for even a bit better price on Mad Men S6Pt2 - Target has a 15% Cartwheel discount good until 10/26

So $17 ($16 with a Redcard if you have)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Great news about your recovery, Mike. Thanks for sharing the news with us! Thanks for the early RoundUp, too!

Since I'm off to sunny (and hot) California tomorrow for a week, there will be no new reviews from me before Monday week. Don't know what will arrive during the week that I'm gone, but the week will offer a nice change of pace for me.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the prices. MANOS and ALADDIN for me. I hate THE BROOD but I'm interested in revisiting it and checking out the extras.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Let's see. Now that I think about it, I've got a few things on their way to me this week from Amazon:

Aladdin (even though I've had the UK release for years)

Tomorrowland

Witness

I've also had the UK Man Who Shot Liberty Valance for years..but I'm more than happy to let that release stand.

Sometime down the road, I will pick up San Andreas when I see it used/cheap somewhere. I will also be picking up Billy Elliot the Musical eventually.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
Has anybody heard whether we're getting the same DNRed transfer as the rest of the world for "Witness", with the problematic audio? Or did they do it right for the US release?

Uh oh. That's all news to me, Adam.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As a Prime member, I usually use Amazon for everything, but made an exception this week for Best Buy's lenecular cover of Aladdin, and threw Billy Elliot into that order as well because it's so much cheaper than Amazon's price. Now, I am regretting that because Best Buy is pulling BS with my card. I am including this story here as a forewarning for other people who may be similarly impacted if you place preorders with Best Buy.

The total for my order of those two items (plus one other thing thrown on to qualify for free shipping) was $38.49. I was billed for that on Tuesday when I placed the order.

Then I *also* was charged $37.49 as a pending charge with a date of 10/13. So, it appears I was double charged.

When I called Best Buy about this, they lady on the phone put me on hold in order to check into the double charge and said she was about to credit that back to me, but then the call dropped. Naturally, when I called back, I couldn't get back to that specific person, and got a completely different answer from the second guy I dealt with. I told me that one of the two charges is a "hold," and that it will disappear when the item ships. But if that's the case, there's no reason for both charges to be so high, so it appears that I have been double-charged and the guy on Best Buy's end of the conversation wasn't understanding that.

I'm going to actually have to call the bank about this tomorrow to contest the charge and have them figure out what's actually going on.

Amazon doesn't place holds on things until they are getting ready to ship, and I have never experienced this crap with them. It makes me weary of using Best Buy in the future.

Moral of the story: stay with Amazon.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for reporting in, Jake.

Even though I'd love to get the BD of Billy Elliot the Musical for just $14.99...going through BestBuy.com didn't appeal to me. So, I'm just going to keep it in my amazon cart in the hopes that price will drop someday before Christmas.

I guess you just confirmed why my gut was telling me to stay away from bb.com.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
JakeLip said:
As a Prime member, I usually use Amazon for everything, but made an exception this week for Best Buy's lenecular cover of Aladdin, and threw Billy Elliot into that order as well because it's so much cheaper than Amazon's price. Now, I am regretting that because Best Buy is pulling BS with my card. I am including this story here as a forewarning for other people who may be similarly impacted if you place preorders with Best Buy.
The total for my order of those two items (plus one other thing thrown on to qualify for free shipping) was $38.49. I was billed for that on Tuesday when I placed the order.
Then I *also* was charged $37.49 as a pending charge with a date of 10/13. So, it appears I was double charged.
When I called Best Buy about this, they lady on the phone put me on hold in order to check into the double charge and said she was about to credit that back to me, but then the call dropped. Naturally, when I called back, I couldn't get back to that specific person, and got a completely different answer from the second guy I dealt with. I told me that one of the two charges is a "hold," and that it will disappear when the item ships. But if that's the case, there's no reason for both charges to be so high, so it appears that I have been double-charged and the guy on Best Buy's end of the conversation wasn't understanding that.
I'm going to actually have to call the bank about this tomorrow to contest the charge and have them figure out what's actually going on.
Amazon doesn't place holds on things until they are getting ready to ship, and I have never experienced this crap with them. It makes me weary of using Best Buy in the future.
Did the first charge post or was it the normal Preauthorization number that usually falls off after a handful of days. BBY usually doesn't do a final charge until the item ships
so I guess it's possible that the shipped charge crossed paths as the preauth fell off. I've had it happen at a number of stores where I'll actually
see to temp charges (esp at gas station, but Walmart, Best Buy. Macys, and Restaurants), but only one ends up posting so there may not be anything to correct.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
JakeLip said:

Amazon has done this as well.

Particularly on German purchases. They attempt to lock a price, convert it...then whatever it is when it clears. If the price is different between order and clear, I'll see two charges for like...a day.

Could happen with an "expected tax" glitch, ordered and it says 5%. But you live in a 7% state.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't really tell what is the preauthorization and what is the charge; it all looks the same on my bank statement. All I know is that I now have about half as much money in the account that is spendable as I should (it's a debit card, not credit, and if the money is not returned to me by the end of the week, it's possible that some of my CD pre-orders from Amazon shipping Friday could overdraw the account.) I will work it out with the bank when they open on Monday and get to the bottom of this, but I've never experienced issues of this kind with Amazon.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
JakeLip said:
I can't really tell what is the preauthorization and what is the charge; it all looks the same on my bank statement. All I know is that I now have about half as much money in the account that is spendable as I should (it's a debit card, not credit, and if the money is not returned to me by the end of the week, it's possible that some of my CD pre-orders from Amazon shipping Friday could overdraw the account.) I will work it out with the bank when they open on Monday and get to the bottom of this, but I've never experienced issues of this kind with Amazon.
For most banks...

Friday, Saturday and Sunday...are 1 day.

I would expect if the authorization was made Thursday, an amended price showed up Friday...the authorization drops Monday night(you show two amounts...)

I had this problem in Chicago a while back. Paid to park 5 separate times in 1 day(30 minutes to 90 minutes). Each authorization was $1 till the actual amount showed(between $2 and $7). It caused that card to be declined...paying for lunch. Although it worked 4 times before lunch for parking...and the 1 time after. This was a Sunday. Card worked fine on Monday as when I checked the acct...all the $1 had been swapped to their corrected amounts.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the info. I'm still going to call the bank on Monday and see what's going on, but hopefully the issue will go away soon. I will report back later this week when this gets resolved, somehow or other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks