What's new

The Flash - season 2 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I thought we had a thread started, but apparently not so here it goes.

Season 1 thread

Season 2 is accumulating a whole flock of speedsters: Teddy Sears will play Jay Garrick/The Flash, Keiynan Lonsdale will play Wally West, and Violett Beane will play Jesse Quick.

This season's big bad will be Zoom, who was mentioned by the meta villain of the week in the nuclear reactor.

I enjoyed the premiere. The death of Ronnie following quickly on the heels of the death of Eddie was balanced by the bittersweet joy of Henry Allen's release from prison.

I loved Joe and Cisco's repartee.

Iris irritated me less than usual.

Danielle Panabaker did a really solid job selling Caitlin's grief. Guess we know why Robbie Amell isn't part of the "Legends of Tomorrow" cast.

Interesting that Dominic Purcell, Wentworth Miller and Victor Garber have all been made series regulars for Season 2. I'm wondering if they're half-season contracts like Claire Holt's was for the first season of "The Originals", a way to "own" them so they're available for the spin off at midseason. It'll be interesting to see if Brandon Routh and Caity Lotz are series regulars on "Arrow" for the same reason.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Earth-2 and the multiverse, since we've gotten both Atom Smasher and the Jay Garrick Flash from that world in this premiere.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I loved the release of Henry from prison, so was notably disappointed he decided he won't be hanging around. Love the chemistry John shares with both Grant and Jesse, and I'm sure (or I hope) he'll turn up sporadically just like last season.

Otherwise, good season opener.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yeah great season opener.

You know a show is doing something right when it makes you get misty eyed so often. So great Barry's dad is released and as to his leaving - I'm OK with it - just wish some time had been spent on a plausible explanation.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Solid season opener with some nice character moments, particularly Henry's release from prison. Hopefully the character will pop in from time to time through the season. (I suppose if Barry had read the letter from the law firm sooner, his dad might have been released sooner; but I guess that would be a nasty thing to point out. :) )

I thought the actor who portrayed Rothstein / Atom-Smasher bore an uncanny resemblance to the Alien Bounty Hunter from the middle years of The X-Files. Different actors, Adam Copeland and Brian Thompson, but really physically similar, at least to me.

As I've noted before I'm not that conversant in the mythos of the Flash universe(s) so I'm looking forward to seeing how the multiverse and Jay Garrick factor into this season.

- Walter.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
I enjoyed this episode a lot. My favourite part was when Dr. Stein named Rothstein the Atom Smasher and Cisco hugged him. :) I like the wrap-up of the Wells story and Henry being released, the show needs more of them, especially Wells. Can't wait for next week.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I too loved the hug between Cisco and Stein.

I'm hoping that if (when) Henry returns, he runs into a certain female head of a rival lab.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That was a great season premiere. Enough has changed since last season to keep us interested, and the set up for the coming year is looking good. Good for the writers that they chose to spring Henry Allen and introduce Jay Garrick - all good moves. The show has a very confident cast and it doesn't take itself too seriously, so it's just a lot of fun to tune in each week.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The intro was superb. It was too easy, almost cloying...and then it hit with full pathos, earned and effective. I loved it.

The rest of the episode was solid and generally one of the better The Flash episodes. I don't understand what's going on yet. I didn't understand who Atom Smasher was. But I don't think I'm supposed to. What's important is that there's a new Big Bad called "Zoom" to deal with this season. And I'm ok with that.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Fun second episode. Jay Garrick makes a great speedster even though he has misplaced his speed powers so far.

Great to see Wells again but did we need to go to an alternate universe to do so? If Reverse Flash was erased then the original Wells and his wife were never killed. The show has earned the benefit of the doubt so hopefully they will address this paradox at some point.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Another really episode, I like how Jay was put through all those tests to earn Barry's trust. I wonder if his powers need to be jump started like Barry did last year.

So now we'll see Metas showing up through the breach instead of the Particle Accelerator explosion every episode? I do like that they've run into their non-powered "twins".

As for Wells, glad he's back but is he the original Wells or the RF version? I was thinking Wells was in the future based on the set background design at first. I'm not sure if the Tour Guide said 15 years ago or not, I was interrupted during that part.

I liked how Cisco was annoyed at Jay for naming the Sand Demon, how he helped Barry twice using his "vibes" and didn't want anyone to know.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure that was the Earth-2 version of Harrison Wells, where Eobard Thrawn never murdered him and borrowed his DNA to take his place. The weird thing about Eddie killing himself resulting in RF being erased from existance is that it didn't apply retroactively for some reason. Otherwise, the entire timeline of the show up until the finale would have been rewritten.

I also really liked Teddy Sears as Jay Garrick.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That episode was a lot of fun. It was obviously made with such affection for the classic Flash stories, and that's reflected in everything from the story to actual shots that recreated classic comics images. Teddy Sears is a great addition to the cast, and let's hope he sticks around.

Did anyone else think Ronnie isn't dead, and rather just slipped into the other Earth the same way Jay slipped into Barry's world?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I was drawing a blank on Sears, then realized he was on Masters of Sex, where you can see...a lot of him.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Didn't like that Jay has only been the Flash for 2 yrs. he is supposed to have been doing this longer and is more experienced.

My son was disappointed that he doesn't have his speed powers. Hopefully, that will change.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Did a "Flash" binge on Netflix the last 3 days and watched the whole first season. Man, I just couldn't stop waching! I love the main characters (more than I can for Arrow) and the special effects! Wow!! For me, this is how a comic book tv series should be done. Hopefully, Supergirl will be done the same way.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm enthused about season 2. So far, Barry is smarter than in season 1. The writers have not created obviously dumb choices for him to force peril. If this is how season 2 goes, it's going to be even more crackerjack than season 1!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Really enjoyed Teddy Sears as Jay, and I agree, he makes a good addition to the cast and would love for him to become a regular.

Good episode, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks