What's new

HTF App Discontinued (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I just opened the HTF app on my iPhone and was greeted with a message saying the app would be discontinued at the end of November and to download Tapatalk. Is this so?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I got the same message. Don't want to download anything new until confirmed by HTF staff .

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Guys.

It is true. Since our forum app is just a branded version of Tapatalk, we've decided to go with their own application instead for a few reasons.

First, it costs several hundred dollars a year for the branded app and we're not seeing them do enough customization for our money.

Second, we are working on a forum software upgrade that should remove the need for Tapatalk entirely. In the period until we upgrade we're swapping back to the regular app so we can focus on the new upgrade activity instead of maintaining a custom application.

We realize that many of you prefer a native app experience and will be evaluating our options for the new software when we launch.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just got the message too to move to Tapatalk. Thanks Dave for the explanation. I guess I'll stick with the current app on the iPhone and iPad until the last possible moment.

Maybe this explains why I haven't gotten any email notices when ever a subscribed thread is updated? The current app isn't fully functioning?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks Dave. We all truly appreciate everything you, Ron and all the HTF owners and staff do for us. [emoji106]

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bummer, but I understand. Thank you for the explanation, Dave. I currently do the vast majority of my forum browsing and posting via the app, BTW. I look forward to the forum software upgrade.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Dave. Completely understand and appreciate all you and the other owners do for the membership!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just wish that the glitches would go away.

None of my devices(phone/tablet/computer) will automatically refresh. Even the phone/tablet using Google/Firefox I have to close the tab, open new one.

Tapatalk(on this forum only) requires a kick out and wait(sometimes 10 minutes, or give up and switch devices) to get back in to do...

Anything. Even read threads.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I don't know about you. I came to the HTF years ago and only used a web browser on a computer to access, view and post on the HTF. Now that I have used the iPad since 2010 for virtually all my web browsing, its odd to be using my computer now on occasion to view the HTF! And I felt that way when I first started using the iPad to view the HTF.

Sorry to hear you're having issues schan1269 with glitches. I'm still using the HTF app on my "I" devices until the bitter end. One sad thing, it wasn't until recently that I was able to actually post images on the HTF via the iPad app. So I wonder how that will work on Tapatalk.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I use the app sparingly, but it is nice to have it on my iPhone to view the forum. Glad to hear about an upgrade to the forum software to eliminate the need for the app. Please keep us posted.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
For whatever it's worth I hate using native tapatalk. At least on my iPhone it is infuriating.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
As a service to the loyal App users who will be switching to tapatalk (and never used it before), would it be possible for someone to post a convenient guide?

If I'm going to use the new software as a replacement, I'd like to know what settings to use so that it behaves like the existing HTF App.

I probably will only use tapatalk to access HTF, so I would prefer to customize it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks