What's new

The Walk (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm gonna try to see it Thursday night - that first trailer in IMAX 3D knocked my socks off.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The Elvis Duran Show is talking about the movie and they commented that folks who have seen it in IMAX 3D have been throwing up due to vertigo sensations etc. LOL

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Alf S said:
The Elvis Duran Show is talking about the movie and they commented that folks who have seen it in IMAX 3D have been throwing up due to vertigo sensations etc. LOL
I saw the trailer in 3-D in a non-IMAX theater and felt dizzy during some shots. It wasn't vertigo but it was an odd sensation to have looking at a movie theater screen.

I'll probably see it tomorrow. All the shaky cam movies give me motion sickness so hopefully this won't have the same effect.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I almost fell out of my couch from vertigo watching Man on Wire, which is mostly stills when it comes to the actual walk, so actually seeing this in 3D on an IMAX screen sounds like an experience I will hardly live through ...

but I am intrigued, just how real can it get? And will I ever know?

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Alf S said:

That's also mentioned in the link above. So Mikael, are you going to see it? It sounds like it could be tough for some. I don't suffer from vertigo, but I'm still a little hesitant. Of course, the biggest things keeping me from rushing out to see it are The Martian and Sicario.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just got back from seeing this, it's up there with Avatar and Hugo for me for effective 3D. TONS of depth and pop outs just short of what you would see in theme parks when you think you can grab the objects in front of you. Do not go if you are afraid of Heights.

I'd give the movie an A- and the 3D an A+.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see this 3D but now I'm a bit worried that I'll hurl! I'm sensitive to motion sickness at shakycam movies - not sure if this will have the same effect...

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Cinemablend gave the 3D a perfect score of 35 out of 35. Having just visited the 9/11 Museum in New York 2 weeks ago (obviously not a very happy place, but a very well done museum) I have to go to the movie if only to see the recreation of the Twin Towers. From what I have seen in the trailers, it is pretty amazing how they have managed to make it look like those buildings are still standing.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Does "Walk" have footage shot with IMAX cameras?
Looking at Wikipedia, no. I almost always avoid paying IMAX prices for movies that aren't actually IMAX but this seems like a movie that will be pretty visually spectacular so I'm breaking my rule and going for the biggest screen possible.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Looking at Wikipedia, no. I almost always avoid paying IMAX prices for movies that aren't actually IMAX but this seems like a movie that will be pretty visually spectacular so I'm breaking my rule and going for the biggest screen possible.

Thanks! I also avoid IMAX theaters if it's not a film with "real IMAX" footage. Combined with my fear of nausea, I'll skip IMAX for this one!

Side note: does anyone know the amount of "real IMAX" footage in the next "Star Wars" movie? I've been pathologically avoiding any threads about that movie - I live in terror of any form of spoiler! - so I'm curious to know what the deal is with its IMAX content...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I told my son that people are throwing up at this movie and he was like "let's go!!!" :)

He also loves New York skyscrapers, as a general rule. LieMAX, here we come!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Colin Jacobson said:
Does "Walk" have footage shot with IMAX cameras?
It didn't matter to me as it only cost me $9.00 to see this film in an IMAX theater with 3-D. It was a tremendous theater experience seeing this film on that large screen. Furthermore, I was the only person in the entire theater. :) One of the most entertaining films I've seen in several years. I remembered the real incident as I'm from the NYC Metro area and seeing this film brought some memories back to me from that stunt.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I loved The Walk. I'm pretty cynical and even I found it to be inspiring & upbeat (which I'm sure means some people will say that it's corny), suspenseful and a celebration of the World Trade Center and New York City. The movie was shot with 3-D cameras and the results are incredible with the best 3-D I've ever seen.

Good news for those suffering from motion sickness, I had absolutely no feeling of nausea while watching this. I do imagine that people with vertigo might get messed up from it though because there's some serious depth to alot of shots.

Colin Jacobson said:
Side note: does anyone know the amount of "real IMAX" footage in the next "Star Wars" movie? I've been pathologically avoiding any threads about that movie - I live in terror of any form of spoiler! - so I'm curious to know what the deal is with its IMAX content...
Yeah, sections of Star Wars are shot with IMAX cameras and the whole movie is shot on film. The movie will have IMAX screens for a month(!).

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Yeah, sections of Star Wars are shot with IMAX cameras and the whole movie is shot on film. The movie will have IMAX screens for a month(!).

I'd think it'd be on IMAX screens longer than that. Heck, the local Smithsonian IMAX had "Interstellar" for four months!

So you don't know how much of the movie will be IMAX? I'm guessing at least 30 minutes but would like to know for sure...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Colin Jacobson said:
I'd think it'd be on IMAX screens longer than that. Heck, the local Smithsonian IMAX had "Interstellar" for four months!

So you don't know how much of the movie will be IMAX? I'm guessing at least 30 minutes but would like to know for sure...

It may stay longer on select theaters (like the non-chain screens like that Smithsonian IMAX), but they probably have January or February commitments for the multiplex screens.

I believe Abrams has said that only one sequence was shot with the IMAX camera, so in my head I was expecting it to be far less IMAX footage than his previous film "Star Trek Into Darkness" (which had about half an hour), but I don't think anyone's confirmed a final runtime of that footage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks