What's new

The Amazing Race - Season 27 (1 Viewer)

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Watched the first episode a couple days late and then came here to see what others thought - and was surprised that there wasn't even a thread yet!

I enjoyed it - great location and better eye candy than 'Survivor' this year. I was delighted by which team was eliminated first and their recognition of how this might be karma at work. Can't say I have a team I'm rooting for yet, but I like the two college athletes and the TV news anchors.

Looking forward to another great season!

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof2 said:
Watched the first episode a couple days late and then came here to see what others thought - and was surprised that there wasn't even a thread yet!

I enjoyed it - great location and better eye candy than 'Survivor' this year. I was delighted by which team was eliminated first and their recognition of how this might be karma at work. Can't say I have a team I'm rooting for yet, but I like the two college athletes and the TV news anchors.

Looking forward to another great season!
Completely agree with you. Unless there are some serious mistakes or they miss a flight, those two guys are going to take this.

Nobody else really stands out and you can already sense the antagonism building within some of the other teams, something they don't have.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Ok episode, with the tango challenge compensating somewhat for the less than compelling picking-up-discarded-cardboard challenge. Really? Buenos Aires and that's the best they could offer?

That church was breathtaking.

I'm not pleased with the trend of recent seasons of teams being selected because of a certain 'hook' to their personal stories - in this season the worst offenders being the homeless dancers and the mother who wasn't thrilled when her son came out. Do those situations have to be reiterated in every interview package in every episode? Can't we find out something else about them? This is supposed to be The Amazing Race, not Dr. Phil.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm with team homeless dancing brothers. But when they almost got eliminated in this episode... because they couldn't get a taxi driver to stop... well, that forebodes a definite liability for their chances, and is a sad reminder of what happens on the streets of our own cities, as well when two... brothers try to stop a cab.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Hollywoodaholic said:
I'm with team homeless dancing brothers. But when they almost got eliminated in this episode... because they couldn't get a taxi driver to stop... well, that forebodes a definite liability for their chances, and is a sad reminder of what happens on the streets of our own cities, as well when two... brothers try to stop a cab.

I never thought of that. I'm not sure if that says something good about me, or not.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
We're rooting for the homeless brothers as well.

I don't get what the deal is with Tanner and Josh hating on Justin and Diana (team green to us).

I just have to mention this - We went to Canada over the summer and discovered Amazing Race Canada was airing there. On our return home we began watching it. There were a pair of bothers on that race (Gino and Jesse) who are exactly like Tanner and Josh - they even have the same hair! We were fine with those guys until they pulled something dirty, but legal within the rules of the race, and we hated them from then on. They just came off as jerks trying to justify it. So T&J are already on the outs with us!

TAR:Canada was interesting. The majority of the show was filmed within Canada and had a very patriotic feel through the entire series. Only 2 or 3 legs were actually outside the country. One thing I liked was mid-way through the season they had a reunion show with the contestants who left the show. It allowed those contestants more screen time than we see with Survivors reunion show. They did it again at the the end with more of a focus on the last half of the teams.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Still my favorite reality show. What bugs me is a team can be ten hours ahead of the others and then suddenly they all have to pause for an airline because there may be only one flight a day. Kind of like the Rio-Buenos Aires thing. Thought a route like that would have 10-15 flights a day, but they all end up on the same one.

A team works their *** off to stay in the lead and suddenly nothing changes.

And that cardboard thing was a joke. All it takes is a brain to realize that 220 lbs. of cardboard is a hell of a lot to gather up, the smart teams took the other challenge.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
I'll keep watching, but I find the whole thing kind of bland so far. No couple that I really like or that irritates me. Maybe something will develop, but right now I really don't care who wins. All in all, I have to say many of the challenges in the Canadian version are more difficult.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Stan said:
Still my favorite reality show. What bugs me is a team can be ten hours ahead of the others and then suddenly they all have to pause for an airline because there may be only one flight a day. Kind of like the Rio-Buenos Aires thing. Thought a route like that would have 10-15 flights a day, but they all end up on the same one.

A team works their *** off to stay in the lead and suddenly nothing changes.

And that cardboard thing was a joke. All it takes is a brain to realize that 220 lbs. of cardboard is a hell of a lot to gather up, the smart teams took the other challenge.

I thought it was 220 kilos, so a lot less, but point taken. Plus... digging through garbage.

I think a couple of these teams could grown on you. It's way too early.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Hollywoodaholic said:
I thought it was 220 kilos, so a lot less, but point taken. Plus... digging through garbage.

I think a couple of these teams could grown on you. It's way too early.
Maybe my math is off, but isn't a kilo 2.2 lbs.? 220 kilos would have been even more.

Sad to see the little guys go, but it's a brutal game. Guessing next week is a non-elimination, they always drop a few into each season.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Stan said:
Maybe my math is off, but isn't a kilo 2.2 lbs.? 220 kilos would have been even more.

Sad to see the little guys go, but it's a brutal game. Guessing next week is a non-elimination, they always drop a few into each season.

Your math is about right, mine is ancient. 1 pound = .45 kilos. But it was in kilos on the show, so that was about 485 pounds. Ouch. Do the other task, dummies.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Can anybody give me a brief synopsis of last nights episode?

My local channel and DISH are at war, so got up this morning, expecting to watch TAR and nothing, just a DISH promo. The local channel is free OTA and on-line. With DISH they're actually making money but now they want more, so annoying. They threatened a cut-off Thursday, but didn't happen so I thought it had been settled, wrong.

A couple of shows on Sunday I like, so I'll set up that dopey digital OTA antennae and see if I can find TAR on-line somewhere, but not bothered by spoilers if anyone wants to help. :)

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Ok, here you go: the episode took place entirely in Argentina. The first challenge was prepping slabs of meat to be cooked gaucho style - the second was a choice between properly adding all of the equstrian gear to a statue of a polo pony, or cleaning a horse buggy and pushing it to its destination. Neither was all that exciting. The doctors screwed up but survived. The mother and gay son sniped at each other a lot, and got a 30 minute penalty at the pit stop, but are still in the race. The Texas boys won the leg, the homeless dancers came in last and were eliminated.

Phil teased a double U-turn in the next leg, and the Texas boys are already targeting Justin. Earlier in the episode they promised their Express Pass to whatever team U-turned Justin and Diana if they were not able to do it themselves.

Sorry about your DISH issues- I had that for a few days in Vegas as well. But overall they are a good comapny. The FCC really shoudn't allow these issue to impact customer service.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof2 said:
Ok, here you go: the episode took place entirely in Argentina. The first challenge was prepping slabs of meat to be cooked gaucho style - the second was a choice between properly adding all of the equstrian gear to a statue of a polo pony, or cleaning a horse buggy and pushing it to its destination. Neither was all that exciting. The doctors screwed up but survived. The mother and gay son sniped at each other a lot, and got a 30 minute penalty at the pit stop, but are still in the race. The Texas boys won the leg, the homeless dancers came in last and were eliminated.

Phil teased a double U-turn in the next leg, and the Texas boys are already targeting Justin. Earlier in the episode they promised their Express Pass to whatever team U-turned Justin and Diana if they were not able to do it themselves.

Sorry about your DISH issues- I had that for a few days in Vegas as well. But overall they are a good comapny. The FCC really shoudn't allow these issue to impact customer service.
Thank you. Sounds like the Texas guys are doing well and may win this.

Overall happy with DISH, just a few times they've ticked me off. Weird thing, but they started restoring the channel Sunday, but only one hour at a time. I tried it out, and even though it was blocked, scheduled Madam Secretary and The Good Wife, turned out to work because by the time they came on, that hour had been unblocked. Everything cleared up overnight, so back to normal until the next disagreement.

Wrote a nasty email to the local channel that caused this. They'll probably ignore it, but you never know, might have a small impact.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Really enjoyed the last ep. - beautiful locations and a crazy twist with the Express Pass. But I'm curious why the 'traditional' welcome to Zambia went from spitting at the feet or chests of some of the teams, to in-your-face shots for the last few. The Alabama mother and son in particular were on the receiving end of a full Danny Thomas.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yeah, there was some discriminate spitting going on there.

This episode was also a great lesson to avoid being motivated by spite or hostility, and just focus on your own positive effort and outcome instead... or you will get burned.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof2 said:
Really enjoyed the last ep. - beautiful locations and a crazy twist with the Express Pass. But I'm curious why the 'traditional' welcome to Zambia went from spitting at the feet or chests of some of the teams, to in-your-face shots for the last few. The Alabama mother and son in particular were on the receiving end of a full Danny Thomas.
That whole spitting thing was very odd, never heard of it before. Looks like the Texas guys messed up, but still my favorites. Not sure where the incredible animosity with the "Green Team" happened, but one team or the other will eventually prevail.

Personally think Justin is a jerk, and hope he gets sent home soon.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Have been watching this for years, but so far have found this season a little dull. Good locations, but no team(s) I am really rooting for and no one I really despise (although the wife of the "paparazzi" pair is quickly moving up there). And it seems pretty clear that one of two teams, unless they really screw up, is going to win.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
GlennF said:
Have been watching this for years, but so far have found this season a little dull. Good locations, but no team(s) I am really rooting for and no one I really despise (although the wife of the "paparazzi" pair is quickly moving up there). And it seems pretty clear that one of two teams, unless they really screw up, is going to win.
I agree, this isn't one of the more exciting seasons. Usually there are a few teams that fail miserably and constantly argue, but not so much this season. I don't know how they cast the show, maybe in previous seasons they purposely chose teams that would provide more drama, but other than the Texans and the Greens, not much happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks