What's new

Big Bang Theory Season 9 (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
DaveF said:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3603346/
Big changes in relationships. A tough start, in that the "comedy" resumes with a more negative tone. But as a show that works for the emotional depth of the best sitcoms, I'm interested in how everyone continues to grow.
Hi Dave!

I wonder whether Stuart will finally get to have a visible girlfriend this season?

CHEERS! :)

Tony

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Dave!

I wonder whether Stuart will finally get to have a visible girlfriend this season?

Tony

I'd like Stuart to have a more substantial, and more positive role. He was an affable loser when he was introduced. He's become a creepy loser. A friend reminded me that he had artistic skills and training when first added to the show, but that was forgotten. I think it could be fun if Stuart were given an ironic twist, where he's been doodling on a comic book for years that gets discovered and becomes a runaway hit. He then becomes an affable winner, but still clueless as to how he got there and what to do with it. The show has played with the glories and jealousies when their various characters have some success. Having Stuart stumble into it would be a nice twist.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
This show feels tired to me, having caught up on the first 2 episodes so far.

I sort of agree. I think it is difficult for popular shows to reinvent or reinvigorate themselves because 'why mess with success?' I think Modern Family is kind of in the same boat, although to a lesser degree than TBBT. I'm still enjoying the show, but it seems to have fallen into a routine over the past few seasons.

- Walter.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Patrick Sun said:
This show feels tired to me, having caught up on the first 2 episodes so far.
Walter Kittel said:
I sort of agree. I think it is difficult for popular shows to reinvent or reinvigorate themselves because 'why mess with success?' I think Modern Family is kind of in the same boat, although to a lesser degree than TBBT. I'm still enjoying the show, but it seems to have fallen into a routine over the past few seasons.

- Walter.

Count me in as part of the camp that still enjoys TBBT, but yes, I think there's a somewhat unavoidable tendency to cover similar ground, such as the bridging of between season story-lines, and characters getting married. Also, in my opinion, Stuart's lonely/creepy vibe is getting pretty old. Perhaps, if its decided to keep Sheldon and Amy split up, she and Stuart could have a fling? I also wonder what may happen with Raj & Emily's relationship, the latter character who has yet to appear this season (OK, it is early, yet!).

Finally, is it just me, or have Barry Kripke's appearances become noticeably less frequent over the past couple of seasons?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Same thoughts here. My wife and I love BBT, but we've been seeing them recycle the same jokes more and more. I hope they're starting to plan the end-game.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Well if Penny and Leonard are going to stay married, It will be fun to see Sheldon dealing with living alone. They could go in a lot of directions with that. Amy takes him back, and moves in with him. Or maybe Stuart moves in with him. Or even Raj. But somehow, I am pretty sure they (the writers) will come up with some way to erase the marriage. I think they might be regretting it already.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
Scott-S said:
Well if Penny and Leonard are going to stay married, It will be fun to see Sheldon dealing with living alone. They could go in a lot of directions with that. Amy takes him back, and moves in with him. Or maybe Stuart moves in with him. Or even Raj. But somehow, I am pretty sure they (the writers) will come up with some way to erase the marriage. I think they might be regretting it already.
That would probably make me give up on the show entirely.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I think the show works best now when most, or all, are in a group and playing off of each other, ala Friends. When the group was at Howard and Bernadette's house to watch the wedding is a good example - "Ours was better." "Oh yes! We totally won!"

I also think they shouldn't have too much trouble writing around Penny and Leonard as they've essentially have acted like a married couple for a couple of seasons now.

I do like DaveF's suggestion about Stuart, though. Would bring some new angles and storylines for the group. Also, they should revisit the Penny acting angle. What would happen if she took an acting job, as a lark and it turned out to be a big hit for her?

Plus, there's always Emily - boy, do I hope they keep Emily!!! :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Scott-S said:
I don't think the writers regret Leonard's marriage any more than they do Howard's. It's clear that the characters weren't going to stay single forever. They've grown and moved on.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Despite my earlier comments about falling into a routine, last night's episode was pretty entertaining. In particular the physics segment dealing with the variety of ways one might loosen a stuck lug nut.

From the vanity card at the finale, it was Richard Feynman's van, but it wasn't damaged. Google images returns multiple pictures of the van, BTW.

- Walter.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
And last night's episode is why I'm still all in. The first two episodes might not have been laugh-out-loud funny, but last night's was.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
So who is still watching? The first Thursday night episode of the season was probably the best. I had to pause it several times because I was laughing so hard. It also had some of the more emotional moments of the series.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Al.Anderson said:
Same thoughts here. My wife and I love BBT, but we've been seeing them recycle the same jokes more and more. I hope they're starting to plan the end-game.
Always enjoyed this show, still catching repeats on TBS, but it does seem to be losing it's edge. Jokes and storylines are beginning to get a bit repetitive. I'm not giving up yet, but it needs boost of adrenalin in the writing department. And what happened to some of the occasional background characters like Leslie Winkle, Zach, and others who really helped the show succeed.

Don't care for the Raj storyline. It was always more humorous when he and Howard dropped their little double entendre gay teasers, now it's kind of dull.

Sheldon was always written as a jerk, but recently he's become much more mean spirited. Leonard was fun to watch in the early years, but now he's become a doormat, not contributing much. They kill off Howard's mother, Raj's parents divorce, his sister disappears (which obviously wouldn't work with the Leonard/Penny situation now, but she was still a nice addition to the show).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I thought the Nimoy episode was really good on several levels. Last night with the followup was I Love Lucy for the 2010's and had me in stitches.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I'm still watching it, but it feels like a chore to get through it sometimes. Lately it has sort of been like watching Smallville; you watch some so-so episodes to get to the occasional awesomeness. I think Stan kind of nailed some of the issues in his post.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks