What's new

The Green Inferno (2013/15) (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
If you've never seen a cannibal movie and somehow stumble into Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO then I'm positive that you're going to be shocked, outraged and there's a good bet whatever you bought at the food stand is going to end up on your clothes.

With that said, if you've seen CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, CANNIBAL FEROX or EATEN ALIVE then it's doubtful you're going to blink an eye. I'd rate this ** 1/2 out of four but there's no question that after two years of hype that I can't help but feel letdown by this thing.

Again, the gore and violence are extremely graphic so if you're not used to this type of thing then you're going to be in for a rough ride. Roth throws in some of his humor and parts of it work while others don't. There's a scene involving one woman getting "sick" that is just downright stupid and there's a jump scare at the end that is horrid. The story itself isn't too bad and it was kinda funny seeing Roth give a middle finger to people who like to protest.

The biggest problem is that, in the end, the film just comes across as a watered down American film that didn't have the balls or guts to go all out. Of course you don't expect animal violence like those Italian cannibal movies but there are other "shock" factors to those films that are missing here. The rape, mutilation and sexual violence is gone. Hell, there's not even any nudity. Even the jungle location is rarely used. There's really no adventure either.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked this movie but it's not wholly successful. I love the cannibals as villains since the language and cultural barriers means that there's no way that you could bargain or reason with them. It was amusing to see protestors presented as mostly either hypocritical or naïve (one or two are sincere and not dopes) rather than heroes. I was surprised by outcome of events because I expected
a nihilistic ending where everyone ended up as dinner.

I can see how the movie has gotten the response it has because when it gets violent, it's pretty bad so a normal audience is bound to be stunned by it.

Michael Elliott said:
Roth throws in some of his humor and parts of it work while others don't. There's a scene involving one woman getting "sick" that is just downright stupid and there's a jump scare at the end that is horrid.
Some of the stuff is pretty funny but I agree those two parts did not work (and I love a good poop joke).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks