What's new

What's On Your "Oddball" List...and Will You Ever Find Them? (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I don't know about you guys, but I have two seperate want lists of things I'd still like to pick up. I, of course, have my grail list of things that still have a chance (albeit a small shot) of ever being released on proper DVD sets (Run For Your Life. THE Cat, Hawaiian Eye, Tightrope, It's Your Move, He And She).

Additionally though, I carry what I call an "oddball" list of items I'd love to get but there is no way, no how, going to be releases of on standard DVD's. Here's what that list looks like for me:

1) Complete Days of MTV programming- 81-84

2) Any/All local commercials from 73-85 from the following TV stations: WBFF 45 (Baltimore), WPHL 17 (Phila), WKBS 48 (Phila), WSBA 43 (York), WGAL 8 (Lancaster)

3) Full Captain Chesapeake childrens shows from WBFF 45 (Baltimore)

4) Original Complete Emmy Award Broadcasts - 64.65,66,67,68.

5) Any Hollywood Palace with Herb Alpert.

6) Dancin On Air complete episodes ( Local dance show from Phila in early 80's broadcast on WPHL 17).

7) Complete local news broadcasts 73-85.

8) Complete Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade's (77-83)

9) Any epsiodes (complete) of Bob Barker's Truth Or Consequences from 72-75.

10) Any Salem Cigarette commercials containing the campaign "You Can Take Salem Out Of The Country, but....

Now some of this stuff, I was fortunate to pick up pieces of in the past but much of it obviously I'll never get. Do any of you have a list similar to mine with strange stuff of your own you really want. "Strange" of course being in the eye of the beholder. LOL.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I would love to see some Truth or Consequences. More obscure Muppets titles, everything Rankin/Bass put out, the rest of the Krofft shows, lots of short lived sitcoms and bad prime time soaps like CPW and The Titans.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
WCVB's original sitcom, PARK ST. UNDER (1979-80), which was suspiciously similar to NBC's CHEERS (1982-93)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The last episode of Secret Army, What Did You Do in the War, Daddy? which, despite being recorded, was never broadcast and was also withheld from the official DVD releases.

The fully uncut version of the British exploitation movie Come Play With Me, which exists, but is, reportedly, sitting unused and decaying.

Beane's of Boston, which was a pilot for a U.S. version of Are You Being Served? Some sources claim it was unaired, I seem to have a faded childhood memory of an on-air promo for it (unless my mind got it mixed up with a promo for Goodnight, Beantown).

A fully unedited, not-messed-around-with-at-all complete series set of Only Fools and Horses. Every, and I repeat, EVERY worldwide release of this show has edits/alterations in some form or another, many of them different from region to region.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
The Screen Savers. TechTv show. Outdated but nostalgic

You Can't do that on Television... including the more local show it was before going nationally.

Lets Make a Deal complete

Newlywed game complete

gong show complete

Beat the clock complete

In fact, more gameshows even if they don't have famous people on them.

The complete series of Afterschool Specials and Weekend Specials complete with opening/closing and bumpers. In fact, all anthology shows like these from the 70s and 80s. I think Storybook International is the only one to get a complete release.

Mister Rogers Neighborhood complete.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The episode of "The Happy Hal Show" my sister and I appeared on (~1964) to deliver the proceeds from the "Charity Circus" we put on in the yard. I don't recall just which charity it benefitted but it was a kit you ordered that showed you hot to solict prize donations from local merchants and set up games to raise money for your donation. Once you had your "circus" you contacted the show and they set up a time for you to be on and present your donation to Happy Hal.

We arrived at the facilities in downtown Memphis, were taken to the studio for the taping and put in the "wings" to wait. Happy Hal brought us out, we made our presentation, and left. It took every bit of 10 minutes and I remember being disappointed that we didn't see any cartoons. That was when I discovered how that type of TV program was produced and it instilled in me a desire to work in TV (I did, as a director for over 21 years). Our segment, every bit of 30 seconds long, didn't air until a few weeks later. When it did the phone rang itself off the hook with all the kids calling us to tell us we were on TV!

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
1)1982 NBC family Christmas special
2) early seventies CBS Kenner classic fairy tale series
3) the seventies HALLMARK Hall of FAME Specials intros
4) the CBS, NBC, ABC Saturday morning preview specials
4) children's 70's family specials: The Enormous Egg, The two Miss Pickerell TV movies, For the love of Fred, Papa and Me
5) Disney's TV movie, the Omega Connection
6) macy''s 1986-89 thanksgiving day parade

Some tv specials that haven't been reshown in years

James

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
In other threads about impossible wish lists, I've mentioned runs of game shows, soaps and talk shows I'd like to have, but I would consider "oddball" a different kind of impossible. Impossible with an element of weird and a "I'm sure I'm the only one..." mindset. Here are a few of my "oddball" wishes:

1. Mad Movies at the L.A. Connection - Watched it in the mid-80s. I don't think it lasted very long, but I enjoyed it at the time. Looking back now, it seems like one of those 1st steps on the road to MST3K of the 90s.

2. Powerhouse - Early-80s PBS teen drama about kids at an inner-city community center who solve mysteries. One of the kids was played by Jason Kravits, who, as an adult, was a regular on The Practice in the late-90s.

3. D.C. Follies - A weird combination of Krofft puppets, light political satire, and Fred Willard; from the late-80s.

4. The Electric Company (original series) - While I'm hardly the demographic anymore, watching those best-of compilations a few years ago made me wish the full run was available. Not only does it provide weird (and don't forget funky) nostalgia - and a young Morgan Freeman - it even had several Coyote/Road Runner animated segments courtesy of Chuck Jones. (I'm guessing that even if Warner was still willing to put out Golden Collections, they wouldn't be included; so those shorts bits are a real cartoon rarity.)

5. Battle of the Network Stars - 70s and 80s TV stars running relay races, and Howard Cosell at his smarmy best (or is that worst). What's not to love? I think it's aired in reruns on ESPN Classic, but that's one ESPN spin-off channel I don't get.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd love all of Disneyland (aka Walt Disney Presents aka Walt Disney's Wonderful World Of Color) - even if it's just showing movies I already had, it would be great to have Walt introducing them all. Getting those all in night of broadcast condition would be pretty awesome. I love the few episodes that came out in the Walt Disney Treasures line, those are some of the first discs I'm grabbing if the house is on fire.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
I watched Turn On (not sure if edited) at the Paley center in New York. I actually felt nauseous afterwards!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Dave Lawrence said:
5. Battle of the Network Stars - 70s and 80s TV stars running relay races, and Howard Cosell at his smarmy best (or is that worst). What's not to love? I think it's aired in reruns on ESPN Classic, but that's one ESPN spin-off channel I don't get.

I think TrioTV ran it, too, before they shut down. I'm with you on that one, especially the ones from the '80s with the likes of Heather Locklear, Heather Thomas and many others!

As for D.C. Follies, no DVDs, but at least there were a couple of 'best of' VHS releases, and plenty of episodes streaming (though not for free) on Amazon Prime.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Handley said:
I would love to see some complete, official Monday Night Football broadcasts from the 1970s.

You're obviously not in the sports collecting trade circles.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
phillyrobt said:
I watched Turn On (not sure if edited) at the Paley center in New York. I actually felt nauseous afterwards!
Hi phillyrobt!

Recently, I read that TURN ON was meant to be something along the lines of a more subversive LAUGH-IN.

In light of your unfortunate reaction to your personal TURN ON viewing, maybe it should have been titled PUKE-IN, instead! :P :lol:

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
Here in Chicago, it would have been so cool and nice to have seasons of Bozo's Circus, especially the 1970s shows as those were such classics, on the DVD format but out of the thousands of episodes they made, only 18 actually survive. Not a misprint here..
Hi Richard!

That must be sad knowing that so few episodes of a show that represented a chunk of your formative years, survive!

Though I never really got past the opening titles for the long running late afternoon soap, THE EDGE OF NIGHT as a youth, when I discovered recently that only about 40 episodes survive, I felt a weird sense of loss. Having read about the show's premise, I suspect that I might have liked to have been able to delve into it further as an adult!

Sometimes, there are no second chances. That's just the way it goes! Of course, I do have some fond memories of Johnny Carson's "The Edge Of Wetness" segments, for which the name itself parodied that of the aforementioned soap!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
From the USA network:

Night Flight-complete series

Cartoon Express(early 80's)

USA Up All Night Complete series-I have quite a few but have to sift through piles of my old VHS to compile them

From Nickelodeon:

The Third Eye

Today's Special

Out Of Control

Mr. Wizard

Standby: Lights Camera Action

Also:

Barbra Mandrell, and the Mandrell Sisters complete series

Siskel and Ebert at the movies the complete series

Creature Feature, and Son Of Svengoolie complete shows and any programming from WKBD chnl. 50 Detroit 70's, and early 80's

ABC Sunday Night Movies--70's and 80's all complete with commercials

NBC Saturday Night At the Movies--70's, 80's complete with commercials

Spectreman--

Space Giants-- English dubs but Japanese audio with subs also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks