I have always been a fan of the "Hot Hatchback"

2016-Golf-R-Volkswagen-1.jpg

2014-Volkswagen-Golf-R-Interior.jpg

golf r.jpg

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Porsche 928. Porsche V8! The older models are fairly cheap (sub 10 grand). I looked at one a few years ago with 120,000 miles for 5 grand, but was scared off after driving it, due to weird engine vibration. They can be very expensive to repair and replace parts. One of these days I'll pull the trigger.

GTS1.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I have always loved the look of the Acura NSX, but I would never pay $30-$60 grand for a used 90's car.

acura nsx.jpg

And I just found it it is making a comeback after a long absence

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Bryan - I have been thinking about my next car and have narrowed my top choices down to Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Scion FR-S (it's very similar to my Celica GTS) and Volks Golf GTi.

What do you like better about the Golf R that is worth $10k over the GTi?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
If money was no object - which, sadly, it always is - then, an Aston Martin DB9 would suit me quite nicely. Ever since I saw Goldfinger for the first time, it was my car of choice. You'd feel like a king driving one of those. Or, at the very least, just like a certain MI6 agent out on a lark and a spree - vodka martinis, ejector seats and bulletproof windshield optional.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Clinton McClure said:
Bryan - I have been thinking about my next car and have narrowed my top choices down to Toyota Corolla, Honda Civic, Scion FR-S (it's very similar to my Celica GTS) and Volks Golf GTi.

What do you like better about the Golf R that is worth $10k over the GTi?
I like 70 more HP, and the all wheel drive feature. The GTI is an awesome car(I would have gone with the Autobahn model) but when the 'R' reemerged as an automatic with AWD, I wanted it instead. Plus, a friend had a Golf R a few years ago, and I fell in love with it. It was an absolute joy to drive, but then again I'm sure the GTI would be as well.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
If you haven't herd - here is what is going on with the VW scandal

Basically - they had the software in their diesel cars tweak the engines if they figured out that they were in a "testing" mode - to improve their smog check performance and promote their "green" engines...

Then, after the smog check was passed, the tuning would return to normal - giving the end user better performance in their cars...

I had a 70 VW Karmann Ghia convertible that I had to de-tune to pass the CA smog check. The thing ran like crap, but finally passed the test. After passing the test, I fixed the tuning to make it drivable again...

Since the models you are looking at are not the diesel ones - doesn't effect your cars...but the company is going to be taking a hit...

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'm driving a 2005 Honda Civic right now. If I'm not using the AC I average 40 mpg. Once I hit 48 mpg on a trip to Niagara Falls. When I retire in about five years, I thought it would be cool to own a Corvette convertible. Someone mentioned only fat, old and bald men drive a Corvette. Well I'm bald and old so that's OK with me! :lol:

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
If I had money to burn I'd like to get a mint 72 Hurst Olds Convertible.

72hoDBx.jpg

Or.... Buick Grand National.

maxresdefault.jpg

Other choice would be a mint Deloreon. :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know a guy that has a Buick Grand National. He never drives it just works on it with his dad from time to time.

They have become quite collectible in the past few years. Cool looking car anyway, and apparently black was the only color? I have never seen one that wasn't black so I'm just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks