What's new

UHD Vote for the release of "Ryan's Daughter" on UHD/4K (1 Viewer)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If seeing David Lean's "Ryan's Daughter" released on UHD/4K is of interest to the HTF membership, then please express your support by writing to Warner Archives:

https://www.facebook...rarchive?ref=ts

"Ryan's Daughter" (1970) was filmed in 70mm/6-Track.

Sight and Sound:

a) This film garnered Freddie Young a third Oscar for Best Cinematography.

b) Gordon McCallum was nominated for Best Sound; who

went on the next year to win for "Fiddler on the Roof".

Imagine, both visually and audibly, the renewed impact and power that storm sequence would have within your home theater with this film being newly produced on a UHD/4K disc.

Thanks,

PMF

Didier R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Didier Rochefort
UHD? LOL...right. I'm not signing anything. It's a bad movie. Btw, how many threads did you create about this bad movie? I wonder if this yet another fake trajan's account :)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Not a fake.

I just wanted to simplify my earlier thread and remove the clutter.

In the first thread, I was seeking 2015 updates on "Ryan's Daughter".

Now that Warner Archives has responded, they have indicated an awareness that there is, indeed, an audience and it is being considered.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Not my favourite of Lean's, but still a good film. Although I agree, the chances of it being released on UHD are close to nil.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Warner Archives has recently stated their awareness that "Ryan's Daughter" does, indeed, have an audience out there who would like to see it released on BD.

They are looking into it.

So...if they were to produce it on BD, then would there now be any differences as to whether it was produced on BD vs. UHD?

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I would love this on BD but the 6 Track will be a 5.1/7.1 Remix and not the original.

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Super Panavision 70 and one of the few larger format films, relatively speaking. I've seen it in 70mm and it is BIG and should be seen that way. I'd like to see them preserve the film for future theatrical presentations of the format. UHD is the home format where Ryan's Daughter would shine. While it's no Lawrence of Arabia, it received awards/nominations and should be preserved, but I can't imagine it would be a very big seller either on home video or at the box office again. The films critical appraisal at the time sent Lean on a 14 year hiatus! If WB is considering this now, then why not UHD-Bluray. This is one I would support at any price point.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Dr Griffin said:
...If WB is considering this now, then why not UHD-Bluray.

I think that, realistically, this title could sell somewhere between 2000-5000 copies on blu-ray, at best. UHD? Probably well under a thousand. And even if a 4K master exists, there are still costs involved in releasing a title on disc - authoring, replication, cover design and printing, shipping etc. I just can't see any studio going to all the trouble to sell a few hundred copies.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Maximize. If UHD/4K is not possible, then certainly let's encourage Warner Archives to get it out there on BD.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
DP 70 said:
I would love this on BD but the 6 Track will be a 5.1/7.1 Remix and not the original.
Please expand. It is my understanding that any 6-Track/70mm source; i.e. "My Fair Lady" (1964) or "The Sound of Music" (1965); are marriages made in heaven for BD technology.

Please expand on why the original 6-Track on "Ryan's Daughter" (1970) is not worthy within it's original design?

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I'm a David Lean fan and completist, currently revisiting some of his earlier work (Madeleine, The Sound Barrier, Blithe Spirit). Although Ryan is not among my favourite films, I believe it is certainly better than average, and its cinematography among the top dozen I've ever seen.

I would definitely buy Ryan on Warner Blu, should it ever see the light of day. I'm not in a position to buy UHD equipment yet, but looking to do so eventually if the format gains traction, which I hope - more than think - it shall. Ryan would certainly be a great candidate for UHD release, if purely for the magnificence of its large format visuals.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
PMF said:
PMF, on 22 Sept 2015 - 3:35 PM, said:

Please expand. It is my understanding that any 6-Track/70mm source; i.e. "My Fair Lady" (1964) or "The Sound of Music" (1965); are marriages made in heaven for BD technology.

Please expand on why the original 6-Track on "Ryan's Daughter" (1970) is not worthy within it's original design?

It could certainly be replicated with precise panning as 5.1 or 7.1 or especially in the Atmos floor/wall circle. The original 6 track had 5 stage channels (for the huge screen presentation) and mono surround.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Worth said:
I think that, realistically, this title could sell somewhere between 2000-5000 copies on blu-ray, at best. UHD? Probably well under a thousand. And even if a 4K master exists, there are still costs involved in releasing a title on disc - authoring, replication, cover design and printing, shipping etc. I just can't see any studio going to all the trouble to sell a few hundred copies.

Sounds about right. My reaction was to the news that Warner is actually looking at it. If we do eventually see it in HD, it will probably be standard Blu-ray.

• Agreed

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
The stunning cinematography alone made me fall in love with this, admittedly imperfect, epic. You simply can't go wrong with a script by Robert Bolt, photography by Freddie Young, and direction by David Lean. It's not on the level of Brief Encounter or Lawrence, but it certainly ain't no slouch. Not a bad film by any stretch of the imagination.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yes because we all know there's a huge market market for UHD titles and Ryan's Daughter will sell like hotcakes! The fantasy dream world of some HTFers continues to amaze me. If there were a big market for RD, don't you think Warners would have put it on the fast track for a blu release long before now? What next? A request for Raintree Country on UHD before the format has proven itself?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thomas T said:
Yes because we all know there's a huge market market for UHD titles and Ryan's Daughter will sell like hotcakes! The fantasy dream world of some HTFers continues to amaze me. If there were a big market for RD, don't you think Warners would have put it on the fast track for a blu release long before now? What next? A request for Raintree Country on UHD before the format has proven itself?
What's wrong with fantasy dreaming? Most of us know that a BD release is the best we can hope for, but I don't see a problem with others expressing their wishes for a UHD release. Why rain on somebody else's ultimate fantasy parade?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Thomas T said:
I had a dream once, in fact several, that there would be a blu-ray release of AT LONG LAST LOVE, LOST HORIZON, IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD (Roadshow) and the Cinerama Films. Well I got them. Let's keep dreaming.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
What's wrong with fantasy dreaming? Most of us know that a BD release is the best we can hope for, but I don't see a problem with others expressing their wishes for a UHD release. Why rain on somebody else's ultimate fantasy parade?

Yes, you're right. In that case, I'll put in my bid for Song Of The South and the original uncut roadshow version of The Alamo remastered in 4K for UHD release plus a 4K UHD box set of the films of Connie Francis (Where The Boys Are, Follow The Boys, Looking For Love, When The Boys Meet The Girls).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks