What's new

Gotham - season 2 (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I was pleasantly surprised by the season premiere. The show still isn't great television, but after a season of groping around trying to figure out what it was, this premiere had a much stronger sense of itself.

The gorgeous, heightened look of urban decay remains as captivating as ever.

Barbara was my least favorite character in the first season, as the show flailed about trying to figure out what to do with her, but she was my favorite character in the season premiere. Barbara the self-aware psychotic is entertaining every moment she's on screen. Erin Richards has locked onto the character in a way she never did before she murdered her parents. Her voicemail to Lee Thompkins was priceless.

With Gordon we simultaneously see the first major step on the path that will make him commissioner someday. But it's also the first serious corruption of his soul. He didn't violate his profession, since his profession had been robbed of him at the time. But he killed a man that he wouldn't have been in a position to kill if he'd stayed on the straight and narrow.

They're lucking out with David Mazouz as Bruce. At barely fourteen, he's already nearly as tall as Gordon. Bruce did a pretty good job talking Gordon into doing what he wanted him to. And the letter from Thomas Wayne was one of the better pieces of writing from this show so far.

They're getting better at writing to Camren Bicondova's strengths and limitations. She's a terrific physical performer, who conveys so much through the way Selina moves and the way Selina carries herself. On the other hand, she's extremely limited at selling dialogue. So they're returning the character to her more taciturn roots, and it worked well for this episode.

I'm so used to James Frain's British accent that it was jarring to to hear him speak with a fairly flawless American one. Given his character's machinatons so far, I wouldn't be surprised if "Theo Galavan" is an alias. His sister is very obviously Tigress.

As great as his sinister laugh is, I really hope Jerome doesn't turn out to be the Joker.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The most notable thing about the series premiere for me was the seemingly endless string of commercials. It seemed like there was a commercial break after each scene (it wasn't that bad but it SEEMED that way).

Knowing that they're subtitling the season "The Season of Villains," I wasn't surprised at the emphasis on so many bad guys (and gals). I was curious about what was behind the door, and it was worth the wait.

A more than adequate season premiere.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Still one of the best looking shows on television.

Maybe it is because I haven't viewed the series in awhile, but it seems like the show has dialed up the 'camp' factor. Most notably with the scenes with Barbara at Arkham having her toe nails painted and the shaking camera shots of Gordon while running (the closeups from the vicinity of his chest.) The sequence with Barbara being attended felt like it would have been at home in the '60s Batman series. (Imagine Cat Woman being served by her flunkies.)

While it is too early to identify a change in the show's tone, I do wonder if the 'edge' of the series in season one is being softened to some degree. We'll see.

- Walter.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have actually enjoyed season one as I felt there was some very good episodes and good character development. I am really looking forward to seeing the 1st episode of season two and I purposely dvr'd it so I could skip through the commercials later on. I am looking forward to season two because honestly as far as content on local stations I am not interested in much being shown for a number of years now.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The show is already better without Fish Mooney.

On a spectrum, with the Adam West show on the left, the Tim Burton films in the middle, and the Chris Nolan films on the right, I'd say the show is between West and Burton, closer to Burton. I like that it embraces that.

I enjoyed the premiere a lot, despite some of the criticisms I have read. This is a fun show, and beautiful to look at. I look forward to another great season.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Forgot to mention last night, another case where two shows exhibit a similarity in the same week. Gotham and Sunday's episode of Fear The Walking Dead both featured Lou Reed's Perfect Day for their opening montages.

- Walter.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Gotham did go up against the season premiere of the Big Bang Theory, that should be taken into consideration. I only caught the first half hour but then had to go somewhere. Planning on seeing the rest.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The premiere of season two started with a bang and I thought it was a very good episode I can not wait to see how the season unfolds. When finances get better I will be picking up Gotham season 1 on blu-ray and if season 2 is as good as this first episode I will be picking up season 2 as well.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
This one is going the opposite way to Agent Carter in that we did get it fairly close to release for season 1, but season 2 isn't due until early 2016. At least it will give me a good chance to get a feel for season 2 as I struggled to get through the end of the first season despite liking most of the cast. Nice to hear positive reaction to the premier.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
Finally watched the whole episode, it's really good. Surprised at how far Gordon wound up going. So far, the show is off to a better start than season 1.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I agree Todd I am socked that Gordon went that road as it is just something you would swear he would never do! But just watched the season 2 opener and it was very good. To bad Gordon took that road he did because now he is tainted and how can he get back to the road of being righteous?

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
I wouldn't be able to watch my DVR for a couple of months.

Did BILL FINGER get his credit?

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
ponset said:
I wouldn't be able to watch my DVR for a couple of months.

Did BILL FINGER get his credit?

Not in the opening credits at least.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Just read in real life Ben McKenzie and Morena Baccarin are dating and she is pregnant with his child.

Oliver Ravencrest

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ron
This was another really good episode. The only weak part was Alfred breaking the computer but it did lead to Lucius Fox helping Bruce. Cameron Monaghan could end up stealing the show with his Joker like performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks