What's new

Well, I returned my XBOX to Best Buy today and I'm going w/ PS2 instead... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Don't get me wrong, I love the XBOX and I look forward to owning it again later in the year, but the PS2 right now has too many games great games to be ignored. The most impressive games to me for XBOX was Project Gotham Racing, Halo, and Munch w/ many more great titles on the horizon, but I need instant gratification, and the PS2 delivers now. As I was walking through the Best Buy gaming section, the must-have factor for the games of both systems were 2 to 20 in favor of the PS2. I know that number will change over the next year, but until then it will be worth the switch. I wish I could justify owning both right now, but "I just don't have it like that" as of late. Now if I can just find a PS2 here in Atlanta - both PS2 and XBOX are temporarily extinct here in the metro area.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
different strokes for different folks, if that is what you like/need, by all means you made the right call. Personally I think XBox is the better long-term platform, but that is a guess obviously :)
Does PS2 has DD5.1 output and HDTV capabilities for games?

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the opposite camp. I want to play Metal Gear and THPS3 so amazingly bad that I almost bought PS2 this weekend.

On the other hand, I know that Xbox's capabilities and track record to date give indications that great things are in store for the future. If I buy PS2 now, I might miss some really outstanding Xbox stuff later. (I think there's consensus that regardless of the systems' status right now, the Xbox does have better potential hardware-wise.)

I've decided to keep playing my Dreamcast for now and seeing if I can wait until the second gen Xbox games come out, but every time I see the Metal Gear commercial on TV, temptation is renewed again.

Or maybe I'll just take up reading books.

Ken Ingram

Stunt Coordinator
I've been trying to talk myself into buying a XBOX (I have a PS2) Because I want to play HALO so bad but there is only two to three games that I would buy for the XBOX and thats not enough to warrant to shell out $300.00 for and the problems I've been hearing about the XBOX systems dying and having to reboot like a PC has made me cautious. Also

when I upgrade to a new Console I want it to be able to Blow my current system out of the water and I Just dont see that yet I know XBOX has 5.1 but the PS2 has DTS (EA games are coming out with this)which is fine for now. And I've been playing MGSOLID2, Tony3 ,Grand Turismo3 and got my son Jak&Daxter and the color and Graphics are Amazing even when you zoom in on something .And FFX just came out so !!

I do plan on Buying a XBOX later when it stars Kicking the PS2's BUTT with their 2nd Generation Software and they get

the Hardware Bugs worked out ,But for now Im Just having more fun than I Deserve Playing with my PS2.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I was cautious about getting an X-Box too. I love my PS2 and didn't think the X-Box was worth the cash. I was wrong. Not only does the X-Box do high def, but dolby digital sound with Halo is outstanding!

Just like when the PS2 launched, it lacked hardware support. One year later it's got a couple dozen games that are must have. I believe this will be true for the X-Box as well. Plus, does anyone really think that Bill Gates is going to let his newest toy fail? If I had his resources and ego, I would go balls out to prove I've got the best console.

And hey, if you can afford it, get both.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Paul, I, too feel that the XBOX is the better long term system, but you've gotta admit that PS2 has some really great games out right now that can't be ignored. I will own an XBOX again in the not too distant future, but I'll wait until more great games appear for it. That's the reason I didn't stick w/ PS2 when it first appeared - limited quantity games (and not-so-state-of-the-art graphics compared to the Dreamcast).

Scott FP

Agent
Going from the opposite camp, when I missed out on PS2 during the first wave, I found out about Xbox and waited. But yeah it was a long wait and I almost buckled but I'm glad the Xbox takes advantage of my surround sound.

Both great systems it is easy to get hooked either way.

DarrinH

Second Unit
Im in the PS2 camp, ready to buy. Anyone know a reliable place to get one on the net with low shipping?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If you want a TON of great games right now, PS2.

If you want great graphics, power, and sound, X-Box.

That pretty much sums it up. The PS2 is the best console right now, hands-down, simply because of its games.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Hello,

I think that both the Xbox and PS2 are solid platforms that will continue to be supported by their manufacturers and game developers. I chose the Xbox because I wanted the most powerful gaming system available and because the games that are available for the Xbox appealed to me. I love Halo and it is by far the best FPS that I have ever played on any platform, including the PC.

I totally agree that the PS2 has an incredible number of games right now but that really wasn't a factor for me. I'm not the type of person that is going to spend thousands of dollars so that I can collect a huge library of games that I won’t play. I only play a few games at once and I am very selective about the ones that I buy. There are plenty of high quality games available for the Xbox and more will be coming out much faster then I will be able to buy...or play them.

There are no hands down winners. The Xbox is a more powerful platform then the PS2...fact. The PS2 has significantly more games available then the Xbox...fact. How someone interprets these facts, and the many others that go into making a purchasing decision, is what determines the winner for each individual making this decision.

Thanks,

Jeff

DonWinzen

Stunt Coordinator
Brent, whatever Microsoft did to you personally, I am sure Bill Gates is very sorry. If he knew you felt this way he would probably drop everything to make sure that he could mend fences with you.

Seriously, why do you have a problem with Microsoft. Most people don't even know, they just succumb to popular opinion and jump on the "I hate everything Microsoft" bandwagon. Personally, I am a Unix person but I find uses for Novell, Microsoft and Apple OS. Get a life and understand they are all businesses designed to make a profit. People are jealous of Microsoft because they do it so damn well.

Rob Speicher

Supporting Actor
If I didn't already own both I'd be right with you, Kevin. Truth be told, after I beat Halo and became tired of PGR and DoA3, I went straight back to all the great PS2 games. Hopefully Jet Set Radio Future will be great - which I think it will be -otherwise my XBox will be idle for even longer.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I own both systems and I'm glad I do.
HALO was an amazing game. The 5.1 sound is something you have to experience. I can sit here until I'm blue in the face telling you about the 5.1 audio and you just won't understand until you hear it for yourself! The graphics are great, too.
NASCAR HEAT 2002 on the XBOX is by far the best NASCAR simulator on ANY console! It has 5.1 audio and is 16:9 convertable. Great graphics. Better than NASCAR HEAT on the PS2...hands down IMO.
BUT!
I have already beat HALO and the only game I am currently playing on the XBOX is NASCAR HEAT 2002. I also have PROJECT GOTHAM RACING but I'm already bored with it.
There are far more games attracting my attention on the PS2:
METAL GEAR SOLID 2
GRAND THEFT AUTO III
NEED FOR SPEED: HOT PURSUIT 2
to name a few...not to mention I'm still trying to finish an excellent game called GRAN TURISMO 3.
I do want to get MAX PAYNE on the XBOX, though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think it should be looked at as the PS2 having more games that are worth buying than the X-Box instead of just the number of available titles. I own at least 10 PS2 games that were worth buying (moreso for most of them) and I seriously doubt the X-Box has as many, simply because its a brand new console.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Apple OS said:
No, I just find them to be an unethical corporation, operating illegally, and attempting to rip me off as a consumer so I avoid them when possible.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
Not to start an unnecessary Microsoft argument but as a developer I think that Microsoft has done some very wonderful things for both consumers and the software development profession. I have worked with more high tech companies that I care to remember and I have never been supported by a technology provider more so then by Microsoft.

...unethical corporation, operating illegally, and attempting to rip me off as a consumer so I avoid them when possible.
I think you would be hard pressed to find any corporation in the world that operates in a purely ethical manner. Every corporation gets taken to court eventually for something. They all go as far as they can (within obvious limits) to make a profit. Microsoft has the lion’s share of a huge market and is an easy target. In the end, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just hope that yours is an informed one.

I would be curious to know what specific instances you feel that Microsoft has ripped you off. If anything, their actions have benefited the consumer with lower prices and improved support. Now if you are the founder of Netscape I agree, you will have a stronger argument.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
The prices have increased dramatically for their products and you now pay for technical support that was once free.
I don't see the dramatic price increases that you are talking about. As for technical support...MS provides consumer support for registered products at no charge both online and over the phone. Companies requiring more support can purchase a variety of support plans. They have a huge online library of support options available 24X7. As far as I know this is the standard in the high tech industry.

Thanks,

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks