What's new

Trying to determine if remote will operate blu-ray player (1 Viewer)

New Nate

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
Hi all, new guy here. I have a small dilemma, hoping to get some direction, or a solution, here.

Just yesterday I got a Sony receiver, STR-DH550, and a Sony Blu-Ray player, BDPS5500.

The receiver remote is RM-AAU190. It is labeled " AV Remote". I had expected it to operate the basic functions of the Blu-Ray player (start, stop), but haven't figured out how to do it.

Here is the scenario:

I put a disc in the blu-ray player. The disc material is displayed on the screen, with the typical menu across the bottom, "Play", "Scene Selection", etc.

I tried to use the receiver remote to select "Play", but nothing happens.

There is a "BD/DVD" button on the remote. I tried pressing it, thinking it would enable dvd functions, but it didn't. Pressing that button changes the input of the receiver.

I have to use the remote that came with the blu-ray player to start the movie playing.

So, I don't know if the remote isn't designed to operate the dvd player, or if perhaps the remote is defective. I've been to the Sony site, and information is seems to be sorely lacking....

Thoughts? Advice?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just looked it up. Sony doesn't include a multi-brand remote in any non-ES AVR.

Truly...sad.

So...if the Bravia sync(the much loathed CEC) doesn't work...nope.

New Nate

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
Thanks, Sam, appreciate the feedback. I was all over the Sony website last night trying to ferret out the info, no joy.

Makes me wonder what the heck they had in mind for the "play, forward, backward" buttons on this remote...

Other than doing a deep dive, remote by remote, do you know if there is a cross reference sheet that shows compatibility between various Sony remote commanders, and Sony components?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I doubt Sony would attempt such a list. The problem with CEC* is it isn't an industry wide HDMI standard. Onkyo, CEC wise, only works with Samsung and Panasonic. Yamaha fluctuates year to year.

Nobody likes CEC. We don't, because it never became a cure-all. It became a nuisance. My office has Integra, Hitachi and Panasonic in it. I used to show off the "CEC idiocy" by turning it on in all devices, then giving clients the remote. 5 minutes playing with CEC and 99% of people go..."what a load of crap that is".

1. If you are done watching a movie in the BD player and wish to watch dish/cable. With CEC, you hit the remote to switch to the STB, then you decide to turn off the BD player...the AVR switches back to BD...then the AVR, TV and BD player...turn off. Making you turn the TV and AVR...back on.

2. All you want to do is remove a disc from the BD player. You hit eject. The TV and AVR fire up. Then...you have to turn them back off.

3. STB/DVR with CEC are a real nuisance. They, typically, don't shut down the HDMI stream even in standby. So, depending on the DVR...if you have it set to record something....and you are currently doing something else(gaming...BD...or just listening to the radio)...the AVR will switch to the STB/DVR...just because it did something. STB/DVR CEC has been known to cause people to come home to their TV and AVR being on...and no one has been home for a week.

* CEC for 2015(and some 2014 stuff) became an industry standard. Now the stupidity is guaranteed to work.

My suggestion...

Buy a universal remote. Doesn't need to be $100 either. Probably don't want a limited function one from Dollar General either...

I haven't been up on aftermarket remotes in 5 years(used to work for a wholesaler of URC). A multi-brand pre-programmed remote is in my "must have" list when buying an AVR. Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha and Denon include one on AVR from $400-$600 on up.

New Nate

Auditioning
Real Name
Nate
Thanks again, Sam. I just returned from the big box electronic store...picked up a Sony RMVLZ620 for twenty bucks...solved all the problems, and even was programmable for my Sharp tv. :)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just looked up that remote. For $16-$20, better than many over twice that.

Why Sony can't provide that remote with 850/60/1050/60 is beyond me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks