What's new

iOS 9 (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the experience so far?

I've started reading reviews. I was on travel this week, so no way I was going to upgrade my iPhone on hotel wifi and risk catastrophe. And in reading the reviews, I found that the new Notes app is pretty great, but it's also incompatible with OS X Notes, until El Capitan. I use Notes across my devices, so I'm going to try and wait two weeks to upgrade everything and not have an annoying disconnect in my notes.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
So far I like everything except the San Francisco font. It's unattractive and after years of seeing Helvetica, I get lost on the keyboard now.

I also find News to be as useless as Newsstand was and have dispensed it to a folder with other useless built-in apps which I can not delete, such as Tips, Reminders and Videos.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The reports of iOS 9 being sluggish seem to be true. Mail does not refresh as often as it should, thus the push to my watch is not as consistent as it should be. I am sure updates will fix this problem.

Other than that, no issues.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm curious if news can replace my rss reader.

Surprised it's sluggish. I thought it was tuned up to be a good performer.

Anyone using content blockers? Interesting things happening in that space
“A list of content blockers for iOS 9”
http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/09/16/a-list-of-content-blockers-for-ios-9/

“Content blockers and a spanking new frontier”
http://www.loopinsight.com/2015/09/17/content-blockers-and-a-spanking-new-frontier/

And then this happened:
“I’ve pulled Peace from the App Store. I’m sorry to all of my fans and customers who bought this on my name, expecting it to be supported for longer than two days. It’ll keep working for a long time if you already have it, but with no updates.”
http://www.marco.org/2015/09/18/just-doesnt-feel-good

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Surprised it's sluggish. I thought it was tuned up to be a good performer.

Personally, I think it's a bug. There's news about it all over the Internet. I think Apple will update the software shortly.

Anyone using content blockers?

Oooh, bad word here.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Reviews

“iOS 9 review | iMore”
http://imore.com/ios-9-review

“iOS 9: The MacStories Review, Created on iPad – MacStories”
https://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-9-review/

“iOS 9, thoroughly reviewed | Ars Technica”
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/ios-9-thoroughly-reviewed/

“iOS 9 on the iPhone 4S: A stay of execution, nothing more | Ars Technica”
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/ios-9-on-the-iphone-4s-a-stay-of-execution-nothing-more/

“Apple iOS 9 review | The Verge”
http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/16/9336351/apple-ios-9-review-iphone-release

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
Personally, I think it's a bug. There's news about it all over the Internet. I think Apple will update the software shortly.

Oooh, bad word here.
Yeah it's a tough one. But it's real. I was trying to load the imore review over hotel wifi, and I was wishing for ios9 plugins to speed it up. And then there's The Verge!

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
DaveF said:
Anyone using content blockers?
I downloaded Crystal and Purify and they do not work. I have already visited sites with annoying pop-up ads and redirects to the App Store and the content blockers do not stop them.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Strange. Early reports were very positive. But the reports focused on big news sites like CNN or The Verge.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Clinton McClure said:
I downloaded Crystal and Purify and they do not work. I have already visited sites with annoying pop-up ads and redirects to the App Store and the content blockers do not stop them.
Just to double check: did you turn them on? Do they need explicit enabling after download?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I turned them both on in Settings - Safari - Content Blockers. Purify has different resources you can block and turning these on completely prevents the sites themselves from loading, not just the ads.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I checked The Verge and CNN and they both load without ads. My local news website still has an annoying redirect to a random App Store game. I forget which site I checked this morning but it immediately displayed a full screen ad with a tiny x which was difficult to tap. So it seems they do work to a certain extent on certain sites.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Clinton,

What happens when you connect to HTF?

There *should* be something in place to stop ad blockers that forces you to white list this site.

However, I would be interested if that was the case for you.

Thanks

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Ron - Using the HTF app still displays ads which it should because these are Safari content blockers. Accessing the actual website in mobile Safari does not display ads nor does it prompt me to whitelist the site. I am whitelisting it anyway even though I don't access HTF using mobile Safari because I don't want to take away a source of revenue for you and Packy.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Clinton,

Thank you so much.

Just to let you know, Parker is no longer a co-owner of the site.

There are three new co-owners: Dave, Adam and Kevin.

I can speak for all of them in thanking you for support of the site.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Thanks Ron. Didn't know Parker wasn't a co-owner anymore.

To add to my functionality report:

Purify gives me the ability to whitelist HTF and ads still display. Crystal, however, has no whitelist option so if Crystal is turned on, ads will not display. There are no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Rest assured, though, that I prefer to use the HTF app which still displays ads at the bottom of each thread when it is open.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Has anyone tried keyboard extensions on iOS 9? I'm hoping they work now, rather than erratically as in iOS 8.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
One week to go for my iOS 9 + El Capitan upgrade :D

Looking forward to iOS 9 for Hey Siri training! I had to turn off Hey Siri because audiobooks would trigger it while driving. Presumably this feature will correct its false positives and make it usable for me.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The "Hey Siri" function has been a godsend for me while driving.

With my iPhone patched into my car's bluetooth system, I simply say "Hey Siri" if I want to find out something -or- if I want to send an email or text. I can dictate the entire text or email from the seat of my car without taking my hands off the wheel.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
The "Hey Siri" function has been a godsend for me while driving.

With my iPhone patched into my car's bluetooth system, I simply say "Hey Siri" if I want to find out something -or- if I want to send an email or text. I can dictate the entire text or email from the seat of my car without taking my hands off the wheel.
That is what I'm hoping for! The false positives from audio books would trigger it randomly, and it would start trying to process a half sentence from the book, fail, and be stuck on the Siri screen. This was a distraction, at best, while driving.

The new voice-training feature hopefully will let me use just as you describe. Having it read and send texts in the car will breathe a little life into my old car (and take the immediate pressure off my car shopping).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks