What's new

bit of help needed, need to build out quick (1 Viewer)

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
I have an area in the home that will be a dedicated HT and a rec room of sorts, two distinct rooms. I have approx 22x36' to play with, there IS living area upstairs (rooms are at grade on slab though) and remainder of home's living area is 20+ feet away. I am fairly sure I want to do two separate rooms and do the HT pretty traditional, Regal style rockers and raised platforms. Want to have enough space to let kids play Kinect in front of seating area in HT and rec room will have wet bar and pool table or ping pong or something.

I plan on the HT portion being approx 16x22, two rows of 6 seats and a couple kid chairs or bean bags in front. Trying to determine screen and stage size so I can start framing, and seating riser setback as well.

For hardware it will be

BenQ1070

Onkyo NR717

Paradigm Monitor 7's fronts

Minis for rear

CC370 for center

PDR12 for sub (will replace with HSU before year end)

maybe some ADP's's for sides (really liking this idea but open to getting shot down)

135" or 150" fixed, non AT screen

I need some input on layout/distances and how to soundproof this room and some input on the screen size, risers and seating. It will be semi DIY (I can frame, drywall and texture and do moderate electrical) and I need it done in a month while I work full time, go to Powell for a week and hunt for a week LOL. Only need HT done NOW, rec room can wait a bit.

Already have all hardware but screen and ADP's, even have most of the lumber and drywall.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Soundproofing is best done with acoustic drywall. A standard sheet of it is equal to 4-6 layers of standard cheap drywall.

Proper sound means seating should be staged at dead center of the room(11 feet) for the first row. I sit 9.5 feet from a 120", which is mainly used for 2.35...which is 108".

Run a UPS for the projector, unless the whole room will be on one.

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
OK, I think I can get that drywall locally. Is the rockwool insulation worth the cost and trouble?

Good to know, the calculator I used recommended a little farther I think, I will check but that is a good number to work with. I was going to do a 150" but that may be a bit much for that narrow room.

sorry, what is a UPS?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is "no such thing" as too much sound proofing. Do as much as you can afford...even the floor and ceiling. When the sound can't get out...your equipment has less work to do.

I base everything on the ITU standard. Technically, if all speakers are in a perfect circle(or, as close as the room allows on 4/5) and at the correct angles, your main seat is likely at 55%, not 50%.

UPS. Uninterruptible Power Supply. In other words...battery backup for power outtages. Essentially...so you can power off the projector, but the fan can continue to run.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
UPS = Uninterruptible Power Supply

If you get a blackout, the fan in the projector will immediately stop. Normally, when you power a projector down, the fan will cool the bulb for 1 to 5 minutes to get it down to an acceptable temperature.

I don't run a UPS on my projector and I don't think (I could be wrong) that the rare loss of power has impacted my bulb life in any way.

Soundproofing is done with acoustic drywall in multiple layers glued together with Green Glue. The drywall is attached to the wall with clips. Just Google drywall soundproofing clips to find different options. Don't forget a solid core door and soundproof sill.

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
I will look at the UPS, I imagine it is what I have on the server at my office....

the clips and glue look good but pricey and labor intensive, not sure the additional amount of soundproofing warrants that much but I will have to look into it.

now the wife is fighting me on the theater seats....going with big overstuffed leather beasts screws with my budget and my room dimensions. I will have to make it wider or seat way less people

and yes, was planning on using a steel solid core exterior door.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My movie viewing style is, well...cozy...

I have three rows of futons(widest I could find) with three thin living room tables(my mind is blank. What do you call those?).

That works very well. Remove the tables and flatten the futons for kids to watch Bambi...

Or for "really good friends" to watch Preaching to the Perverted...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oh yeah...on the server...

Yeah you have a UPS on it.

I have a Generac generator for the whole house. There is a main UPS (provides 2 minutes buffer for the generator). But I live where power interruptions are par for the course.

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
Sofa tables?

I will look into the UPS, I just put solar and a Kohler propane gen on my cabin and I think we are going to put one on the house too, they are nice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well gee...and ironically cause I was drinking some...

Coffee tables.

(according to this one website...sofa tables go behind the couch and are the same height as the back of the couch. Hhhmmm)

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
yep, those are the ones. My wife is addicted to them apparently, I think she believes you have to have a sofa table for every sofa in the house

gjk5

Agent
Real Name
david
OK, now doing some measuring, wife wants recliners/reclining loveseats, even if I want to squeeze seating for 8 in there it will be tight. I think an isle down the middle is most space efficient but will probably suck for sound with the seats pretty much butted to the walls. an isle on either side sounds better (literally) but will eat up space and force me to make room wider, eating up rec room space.

I think theater rockers make so much more sense, more space, more seating and it doesn't become so much of a nap room!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
schan1269 said:
Well gee...and ironically cause I was drinking some...

Coffee tables.

(according to this one website...sofa tables go behind the couch and are the same height as the back of the couch. Hhhmmm)
A few people at another forum make their own sofa tables that just happen to contain a pair of 18" subs. The near field subs provide tactile feel like bass shakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks