What's new

The Beatles: 1 (Blu-ray Audio/Video) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

140690_front.jpg

140690_slipback.jpg

140694_front.jpg

140694_slipback.jpg

THE BEATLES’ VIDEOS AND TOP HITS COME TOGETHER FOR THE FIRST TIME

All-New Editions of The Beatles 1 Pair Beautifully Restored Promotional Films and Videos with Brand New Stereo and Surround Audio Mixes 

Beatles 1+ Deluxe Edition Celebrates the Sight & Sound of The Beatles in 50 Films & Videos

London – September 15, 2015
After The Beatles stopped touring, and because travelling around the globe to promote new releases was impossible, the band increasingly made what could be described as “mini movies”. These pioneering promotional films and videos helped to define the way we have come to watch music, not least because The Beatles approached filming with the same ease and innovative spirit they brought to the recording studio, exploring new creative possibilities with infectious delight. Showcasing the band’s filmed work to accompany their 27 No.1, U.K. and U.S. singles, The Beatles 1 is newly restored and expanded in multiple configurations for global release on November 6 by Apple Corps Ltd/UMG.

The 27-track CD/DVD and CD/Blu-ray pairs beautifully restored videos for each song, with new stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS HD surround audio mixes. The brand new Beatles 1+ celebrates their career in over 200 minutes through 50 promotional films and videos. This includes the 27 No.1s, with the restored videos, along with a second disc of 23 videos, including alternate versions, as well as rarely seen and newly restored films and videos; all include new audio mixes in deluxe CD/2-DVD and CD/2-Blu-ray packages. The 27-track audio CD is also being made available with new stereo mixes. A 2 LP, 180-gram vinyl package will follow.

TThe new editions of The Beatles 1 have been made possible following extensive research, and restoration of the original promo films, classic television appearances and other carefully selected videos spanning the band’s history. Apple Corps dug deep into The Beatles’ vaults to select a broad range of films and videos for their rarity, historical significance and quality of performance. An 18-person team of film and video technicians and restoration artists was assembled by Apple Corps to undertake painstaking frame-by-frame cleaning, colour-grading, digital enhancement and new edits that took months of dedicated, ‘round-the-clock work to accomplish.

The result is a visual run down of The Beatles’ number one records, as well as the additional tracks on the bonus disc of Beatles 1+ that show the band in previously unseen standards of clarity and quality; many of the films and videos have never before been commercially released, in whole or in part.

Beatles 1 and Beatles 1+ offers the restored films, including 35mm negatives scanned in 4K and digitally restored with new stereo and 5.1 surround audio remixes, produced from the original analogue tapes by the GRAMMY® winning team of Giles Martin with Sam Okell at Abbey Road Studios. For four of the videos, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr have provided exclusive audio commentary and filmed introductions, respectively. The 1+ Deluxe Edition, presented in an expanded 124-page illustrated hardcover book includes ‘an appreciation’ of The Beatles’ ground-breaking films and videos by music journalist and author Mark Ellen and extensive, detailed track/video annotation by music historian and author Richard Havers.

“These videos and films are spectacular reminders of the era we lived in. They also rock!”
Paul McCartney

“II think it’s really interesting to see the videos we made, some of them incredible and some of them really incredible. How else would we have got to sit on a horse?”
Ringo Starr

Between 1962 and 1970, The Beatles released 27 No.1 hit singles in the U.S. and the U.K. In 2000, these timeless songs were collected for The Beatles 1, which topped the charts in 35 countries and became that decade’s bestselling album worldwide. 15 years later, 1 is revisited for this entirely new, visually-inspired presentation.

It’s The Beatles, as you’ve never seen them before.

The Beatles 1

[CD: DVD: CD+DVD: Blu-Ray: CD+Blu-Ray]

DISC 1 AUDIO (CD) + DISC 1 VIDEO
(DVD or Blu-ray)

• Love Me Do
  • From Me To You
  • She Loves You
  • I Want To Hold Your Hand
  • Can’t Buy Me Love
  • A Hard Day’s Night
  • I Feel Fine
  • Eight Days a Week
  • Ticket To Ride
  • Help!
  • Yesterday
  • Day Tripper
  • We Can Work It Out
  • Paperback Writer
  • Yellow Submarine
  • Eleanor Rigby
  • Penny Lane
  • All You Need Is Love
  • Hello, Goodbye
  • Lady Madonna
  • Hey Jude
  • Get Back
  • The Ballad of John and Yoko
  • Something
  • Come Together
  • Let It Be
  • The Long and Winding Road

DISC 1 VIDEO EXTRAS

• Paul McCartney audio commentary
  • Penny Lane
  • Hello, Goodbye
  • Hey Jude 
  • Ringo Starr filmed introductions
  • Penny Lane
  • Hello, Goodbye
  • Hey Jude
  • Get Back 

The Beatles 1+

CD/2-DVD: CD/2-Blu-ray]

DISC 1 AUDIO (CD) + DISC 2 VIDEO (DVD or Blu-Ray)

(same as above)

DISC 2 VIDEO (DVD or Blu-Ray)

• Twist & Shout
  • Baby It’s You
  • Words Of Love
  • Please Please Me
  • I Feel Fine
  • Day Tripper *
  • Day Tripper *
  • We Can Work It Out *
  • Paperback Writer *
  • Rain *
  • Rain *
  • Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Within You Without You/Tomorrow Never Knows
  • A Day In The Life
  • Hello, Goodbye *
  • Hello, Goodbye *
  • Hey Bulldog
  • Hey Jude *
  • Revolution
  • Get Back *
  • Don’t Let Me Down
  • Free As A Bird
  • Real Love

DISC 2 VIDEO EXTRA

• Paul McCartney audio commentary
  • Strawberry Fields Forever

* alternate version

NOTES ON THE VIDEOS

BEATLES 1 DVD

DISC ONE

• 1. LOVE ME DO
    Newly edited clip, featuring material from BBC TV’s The Mersey Sound, with performance footage filmed on 27 August 1963 at the Little Theatre, Southport.
  • 2. FROM ME TO YOU
    A live performance at the 1963 Royal Variety Show, filmed at The Prince Of Wales Theatre, London, on 4 November 1963.
  • 3. SHE LOVES YOU
    A live performance from the Swedish Television show Drop In, recorded on 30 October 1963 during a short Scandinavian tour. 
  • 4. I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND
    From the Granada TV programme Late Scene Extra filmed on 25 November 1963.
  • 5. CAN’T BUY ME LOVE
    First broadcast in the TV show Around The Beatles, filmed on 28 April 1964 and broadcast the following month. It features a different audio track to that of hit single, recorded by The Beatles on 19 April 1964.
  • 6. A HARD DAY’S NIGHT
    Live performance at the Palais des Sports, Paris on 20 June 1965, while on a short European tour. 
  • 7. I FEEL FINE
    Filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965. One of ten films shot that day to satisfy global TV demand for broadcast material to accompany The Beatles’ hit records.
  • 8. EIGHT DAYS A WEEK
    A brand new clip edited from material filmed at the Shea Stadium concert in New York City on 15 August 1965, during which the band performed twelve songs, but ‘Eight Days A Week’ was not among them. The clip says so much about the band’s frenetic lifestyle in 1965, at the height of Beatlemania.
  • 9. TICKET TO RIDE
    Filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965.
  • 10. HELP!
    The less frequently seen clip of those filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965. 
  • 11. YESTERDAY
    Paul performing on The Ed Sullivan Show, videotaped in New York City on 14 August 1965 and broadcast the following month, the day before the single was released in America.
  • 12. DAY TRIPPER
    Three versions of this clip were filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965. This is version 2, in which all of the group are wearing polo neck sweaters, except for Paul, who wears a black shirt.
  • 13. WE CAN WORK IT OUT
    There were three versions of the ‘We Can Work It Out’ video filmed atat Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965. This is version 2 in which all four Beatles are wearing black polo neck sweaters. 
  • 14. PAPERBACK WRITER
    Filmed in 35mm, and in colour, in Chiswick Park, West London, by director Michael Lindsay-Hogg. 
  • 15. YELLOW SUBMARINE
    This clip is newly created from original Yellow Submarine footage.
  • 16. ELEANOR RIGBY
    This clip is taken directly from the Yellow Submarine movie.
  • 17. PENNY LANE
    A ground-breaking clip by Swedish director Peter Goldmann that captures The Beatles in Stratford, London, and at Knole Park in Kent, with additional material shot in Liverpool.
  • 18. ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE
    Filmed in Studio One at Abbey Road, on 25 June 1967, and beamed around the globe as a part of the TV programme Our World. This colourised version was created for The Beatles Anthology TV programme in 1995.
  • 19. HELLO, GOODBYE
    London’s Saville Theatre was the location for this promo film, shot on 10 November 1967; The Beatles wear their Sgt. Pepper outfits.
  • 20. LADY MADONNA
    Just prior to leaving for India, The Beatles met up in Studio Three at Abbey Road, on 11 February 1968. They were filmed while recording ‘Hey Bulldog’.
  • 21. HEY JUDE
    Filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 4 September, for broadcast on David Frost’s TV show, Frost On Sunday. The introduction by David Frost is different from that on disc 2. 
  • 22. GET BACK
    The promo clip made available at the time of the original release of the single featured performances from the Apple rooftop synched to the record. This new clip has been rebuilt to replicate the original but with improved picture quality.
  • 23. THE BALLAD OF JOHN AND YOKO
    This original promo clip features outtakes from the Let It Be movie, with other private footage shot in Amsterdam, London, Paris and Vienna.
  • 24. SOMETHING
    The video features George and Pattie, John and Yoko, Paul and Linda, and Ringo and Maureen. and was filmed at locations in Berkshire, Surrey, and the Mull of Kintyre.
  • 25. COME TOGETHER
    The clip was created in 2000 by Melon Dezign for the launch of thebeatles.com and the original Beatles 1 album.
  • 26. LET IT BE
    A 1970 promo clip was made available to support the release of the single and it was different to the one featured in the Let It Be movie; this clip has been rebuilt from the original footage.
  • 27. THE LONG AND WINDING ROAD
    This clip is taken straight from the Let It Be movie.

DISC TWO

• 1. TWIST AND SHOUT
    From the Granada Television programme Scene At 6.30, which was videotaped on 14 August 1963. 
  • 2. BABY IT’S YOU
    One of two clips used to promote the single taken from the 1995 Live At The BBC album. The clip is enhanced by the inclusion of unique colour footage of The Beatles filmed outside the BBC’s Paris Studio on Lower Regent Street, London.
  • 3. WORDS OF LOVE
    When On Air – Live At The BBC Volume 2 was released in 2013, it included ‘Words Of Love’, a Buddy Holly composition that the band recorded for radio. This new clip is a mix of existing footage and innovative animation.
  • 4. PLEASE PLEASE ME
    A live performance videotaped on 9 February for The Ed Sullivan Show, which was screened on 23 February 1964.
  • 5. I FEEL FINE
    Filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965, this clip shows The Beatles eating fish and chips during their lunch break.
  • 6. DAY TRIPPER
    From the TV special The Music Of Lennon & McCartney that first broadcast in mid-December 1965. 
  • 7. DAY TRIPPER
    Filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965, with the group wearing their Shea Stadium Jackets with the ‘Nehru’ collars. 
  • 8. WE CAN WORK IT OUT
    Filmed at Twickenham Film Studios on 23 November 1965 – showing The Beatles wearing the Shea Stadium jackets.
  • 9. PAPERBACK WRITER
    Shot on videotape at Abbey Road, on 19 May 1966, this studio version is prefaced by a short introduction by Ringo. It was broadcast on The Ed Sullivan Show in America. 
  • 10. RAIN
    ‘Rain’, the B-side of ‘Paperback Writer’, was filmed in colour at Chiswick House, West London, on 20 May 1966.
  • 11. RAIN
    This black and white clip is a new edit from several takes of ‘Rain’ videotaped at Abbey Road on 19 May 1966.
  • 12. STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
    Directed by Peter Goldmann and with newly restored footage, this was filmed at Knole Park, Kent on 30 and 31 January 1967.
  • 13. WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU/TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS
    The merging of these two tracks, one from Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, the other from Revolver, was created for The Beatles Love show by Cirque du Soleil, which opened in June 2006 in Las Vegas. This video was created to promote the Love album released later that year.
  • 14. A DAY IN THE LIFE
    Filmed in Studio One at Abbey Road on 10 February 1967, this includes classical musicians, who were asked to wear evening dress, fake noses and funny hats for the recording session.
  • 15. HELLO, GOODBYE
    This clip is another shot at London’s Saville Theatre on 10 November 1967; The Beatles wear their ‘street clothes’.
  • 16. HELLO, GOODBYE
    This third version was also shot at London’s Saville Theatre on 10 November 1967; it includes elements from the first two films but with additional footage unique to this edit.
  • 17. HEY BULLDOG
    The original footage from a 1968 shoot for the ‘Lady Madonna’ promo film was unearthed in the mid-1990s. It was revealed that The Beatles were recording ‘Hey Bulldog’ and is an edit done to promote the reissue of the Yellow Submarine movie in 1999. 
  • 18. HEY JUDE
    This is an edit of the two other takes filmed on 4 September 1968 for the Frost On Sunday TV show. This has a different David Frost intro to the clip on disc 1. 
  • 19. REVOLUTION
    One of two versions, this was shot the same day as ‘Hey Jude’. John’s lead vocal is completely live, as are most of Paul and George’s backing vocals. The instrumentation, including Nicky Hopkins’ electric piano, is from the master tape.
  • 20. GET BACK
    This clip was assembled in 2003 to support the release of the album Let It Be…Naked and utilises studio footage from the famous Get Back/Let It Be sessions.
  • 21. DON’T LET ME DOWN
    This was the B-side of ‘Get Back’ and this clip is a composite of two live performances from the Apple rooftop in 1969. It was made available to support the release of Let It Be…Naked in 2003. 
  • 22. FREE AS A BIRD
    The 1995 video is a work of art by director Joe Pytka, who used the concept of a bird’s-eye view to pay homage to many Beatles songs and images. 
  • 23. REAL LOVE
    This video directed by Geoff Wonfor and ex-10cc and leading pop promo-maker Kevin Godley, this video was made in 1996 to support the release of the single.

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Peter Apruzzese said:
Steve Tannehill would've loved this.

Ordered!

Absolutely!

It's good to see *something* new out of The Beatles catalog.

I have been meaning to post something for the last few months inquiring where LET IT BE and THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY stand for Blu-ray release.

Not even certain that hope can be had to see either of these titles released.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I always have a little problem sorting things out whenever there are multiple releases at one time like this.

There are lossless audio-only versions (both stereo and surround) of the 27 songs on the Blu-ray discs, correct? Some of the text in the release in Ron's OP makes it sound like the audio-only cuts are on the CD and the video discs only contain the audio with the video attached? The Amazon listings don't make it much clearer for me.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
$60, though. Ouch. As a Beatles fan, I'll bite the bullet, of course, but it's going to really hurt. I really enjoyed the new mixes on the Yellow Submarine Songtrack (except for the weirdly out-of-sync Eleanor Rigby) so hopefully these new mixes will be similar. I know it's blasphemy, but I'd be interested in new mixes of all of their albums; not to supplant the original mixes, which were genius, but as an alternative. Modern audio technology can do so much more than the limited 4-track tape that was used on many of their albums. The Beatles and George Martin layered so much sound when creating the original songs that modern mixing really lets you clearly hear instruments and sounds that may have gotten buried in the original mixes. Like I said, I would never want the new mixes to replace the originals; I would just love to have them as an option.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great, I just about remember looking at the live transmission of All You Need Is Love on the telly, but I do wonder just what Blu-ray will bring to those ancient videos.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Billy Batson said:
Great, I just about remember looking at the live transmission of All You Need Is Love on the telly, but I do wonder just what Blu-ray will bring to those ancient videos.
There's a restoration demo on the Apple website, so you can see for yourself. As a lifelong Beatlemaniac, this release - and I do mean the 2 Blu-Ray package which I wouldn't miss for the world, Mike! - is a dream come true.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
This comes as I have been discovering the music anew via the incredible original mono mixes on vinyl. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. Or is it an embarrassment of near bankruptcy? Yes, this will be mine. Oh yes.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Billy Batson said:

It seems that the visual upgrades will be mostly for the film-based promos, but all will benefit from the high resolution audio.

This looks like a great release. I'm curious to whether they're also including the original mono and stereo mixes in addition to the new stereo and 5.1 tracks.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I guess I'll get the Blu-ray + version. I'm most interested in the videos that were produced for TV (I Feel Fine, Paperback Writer, Strawberry Fields, etc). We got tantalizing glimpes of them in the Beatles Anthology series, but usually not the complete videos.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ronald Epstein said:
Absolutely!

It's good to see *something* new out of The Beatles catalog.

I have been meaning to post something for the last few months inquiring where LET IT BE and THE BEATLES ANTHOLOGY stand for Blu-ray release.

Not even certain that hope can be had to see either of these titles released.

It seems like every few years there is a "confirmation" that Let It Be is coming. Most recently, I think it was in 2010 when the director said it was coming in 2013. Ringo also commented somewhere along the line that it was coming.

As for Anthology, no mention that I am aware of - ever - of it coming to blu-ray, beyond fans' asking for it. The show is 20 years old, and the DVDs are 15 years old.

At a time when artists like Dylan and Springsteen are putting out high quality archival releases on a regular basis, the Beatles should really step up their output.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
It looks to me like all of the songs on the 1 disk are both video and stereo/5.1. It appears that most of the songs on the second disk are stereo/5.1 as well. I don't think there is an audio only option, but you can just turn off your TV

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I would of preferred LET IT BE or the Anthology expanded on Blu, but this will do in the meantime.

I mean, after this, what else is left to put out other than Anthology or Let It Be, tight? All the other films have deluxe blurays. Live footage and concerts should be incorporated into a massive Anthology release IMO.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
No mono or stereo re-release. If you want to immerse yourself in the various one offs that Giles Martin will not be re-doing for this release check of the Steve Hoffman forum. Probably a 100 pages by now.

Not that anyone is but I would not hold your breath on LIB, ever.

IMO, Yoko and likely Paul will never agree to a release as there are some fairly low moments.

Anthology far more likely and may be in progress now. This release took a long time to finish and Anthology has a lot more content.

FWIW, I previewed some of the restored video in HD and even over the internet they looked killer.

Also looking forward to what Giles did with the older "stereo" mixes as they have uniformly been hideous and not really stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks