What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Young Lions -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Edward Dmytryk's (The Caine Mutiny) 1958 CinemaScope production The Young Lions, is a WWII drama based upon the book the Irwin Shaw.

It's one of those films with a potentially great cast, inclusive of a blonde Marlon Brando, that while entertaining, never seems to hit the notes that one might expect.  Was something lost between novel and screenplay?

As a Blu-ray is a quite beautiful affair, with lustrous black and white, as captured by the great Joseph MacDonald.

While I like the overall look of this Blu, with its gorgeous grayscale, I can't help but feel that somehow, their may be just a bit of grain management occurring.  There's nothing obviously wrong here -- no plastic people -- but I just get the feeling that there might be a bit more high frequency information hitting the screen.

Image - 4

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 4

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

willyTass

Supporting Actor
So I wasn't imagining things when I wished this one had more grain( and The hustler) That was the only thing missing from this 4k transfer

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Glad to see RAH feels the same way as I do about the film content. I expected more from the film, "shoulda" been better.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Poor Monty :(

Just compared this to my NTSC DVD

The blu Ray is a revelation .By comparison the DVD is an ugly blurry mess with halos galore. These BD's are miracles compared to DVD. At 2 hours and 47 minutes long I wonder if they had to shave a bit of HF information to compress it to 50 GB's?
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks