What's new

Air Power with Walter Cronkite on DVD? (1 Viewer)

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
To all:

Has there ever been a definitive version of the old Air Power documentary from the 1950's put on DVD? I've seen a few versions of it at WalMart and online in the past but it seems that they are either edited down versions, incomplete, or the quality is very poor.

Also, is there a version of VIctory at Sea on DVD that is complete and good quality? I picked up a copy at WalMart once for $5 not expecting much, and it delivered. Is there a good version of that wonderful show on DVD? I had heard of a blu ray made of the series but that it was watermarked throughout the duration of the episodes.

Any ideas?

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm a big Walter Cronkite fan and I try and get all his stuff that comes out on dvd (usually with some kind of CBS News logo on the packaging) -- don't know the Air Power documentary you refer to but as far as I can tell, some of his 1950s narrated documentaries were either "You Are There" shows or centered around events concerning WWII, most likely a 'clip show' series he did in the 50s/60s with 1980/90s era wrap arounds to make them into 60-90 minute documentaries.

I'd thoroughly recommend the boxset one can still buy "World War II With Walter Cronkite", the shows reprocessed into 5.1 surround (actually big fat mono, but you have a good subwoofer, you've got it made) and possibly the Air Power show you refer to might be in there.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
As a big Cronkite fan, you definitely need to check out the series. Especially if you have even a small interest in military aviation. The show was more or less CBS' answer to Victory at Sea. Check this out:

http://ctva.biz/US/Documentary/AirPower.htm

Thanks for the heads up on the World War II with Walter Cronkite show. That sounds real interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks