What's new

iPad Pro owners thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have never started a thread like this before. So I hope it's okay.

My gauge of the reactions here to the iPad Pro is that it's not for everyone on the HTF. I however am more excited about this then anything else discussed during the Keynote.

I'm definitely buying the iPad Pro with 128gb and the Apple Pencil. The main reason I am so excited is that finally there is an integrated stylus made by Apple that works with the iPad. And as a digital artist, something I think is probably too high a descriptor for me, I do use drawing tablets for sketching, and creating images for my design work. I have hopes to improve my skills too. And this is the tool I've been hoping to finally get from Apple. The Wacom Cintiq Companion is pretty close, but it's not Mac OS X.

Procreate is a fine painting app and they are on board with Apple so that's available the day of the iPad Pro's release date. I'm hoping that Sketchbook Pro is available too and I have some insight that it will. I'll be curious if Adobe can develop a more full version of Photoshop. The new A9 processor might be able to take care of all these apps.

So I realize that my desire for this iPad is likely limited to few members here on the HTF. I'll be curious who else is getting on and what your usage will be.

It will be fun to watch videos on it too of course!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Nelson Au said:
this is the tool I've been hoping to finally get from Apple. The Wacom Cintiq Companion is pretty close, but it's not Mac OS X.

The iPad Pro runs iOS – not Mac OS X.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don't have a need for an iPad Pro so I will not be buying one. I sold my iPad mini retina to Gazelle a few weeks back because it literally sat in my backpack for almost a month without being used. Don't miss it at all.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I lava my iPad; I'm lying in bed posting to HTF on it. That's why I won't get an iPad pro: I believe it's truly a "Pro" device at launch and is too big for my bedtime surfing and airplane viewing uses.

In a year or two, will such a device replace my desktop computer? Maybe...

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, you're right! The iPad Pro runs iOS 9. I was posting as if I was speaking to others who use a Wacom Cintiq. When Wacom was at our office recently to show us the newest Cintiq models, a common question is, will you make a Companion with Mac OSX. Of course the answer is they cannot.

The iPad Pro gets us a professional iPad in the Apple world. The Cintiq Companion has full on Windows 8, so one has the full on applications like Photoshop. The iPad Pro won't have the full desktop applications like Photoshop, so it will be interesting if Adobe will continue to develop their mobile apps and give us more full features of the desktop versions.

On another topic, I have been thinking of the Apple Pencil and how to charge it other then inserting the Pencil into the iPad Pro's Lightning connector. I have been pondering if Apple has made a dock to properly charge the pencil. Using the Lightning connector seems like an emergency scenario if you need to have the Pencil to keep going, 15 seconds of charging from the Lightning connector to give you 30 minutes of use is a nice feature. However, a real dock or port on a charger seems to make more sense when doing a proper full on charge. I was looking at the HDMI adaptor connector with the male Lightning connector on the other end, the HDMI end has a female Lightning connector, so there is another place one could attach the Pencil for charging that isn't placing the Pencil in danger. I guess we'll see in November if the Pencil has another way to charge.

Dave, I regularly read in bed with the iPad Air, so I totally get it. I checked the dimensions of the Pro. It's 12.04 x 8.69 IIRC. It doesn't look that much bigger then the Air. Considering the dimensions, the screen itself sounds like it's very close to an 8 1/2 by 11" sheet of paper. That will be great to be able to have that much room to actually sketch like one would on real paper.

On one of the hands-on videos, they were showing the functions that allows two windows to be open at once, so they are split in the screen side by side. That should be really handy if using email, and you want another document open to copy and paste some thing on the HTF for example. I've found I do that. But I just have to switch between the HTF app and a webpage now.

I've also started using Pages recently. It feels like a real Microsoft Word document. If I got the keyboard, it will be really interesting to see how that works out verse the virtual keyboard. I'm also curious to try and see if the Apple version of PowerPoint can import my work PowerPoint files so I can actually modify and make new PowerPoiint documents from it.

Oh, one more thing. The Smart Cover keyboard only covers the screen. I'm curious and hoping Apple will also provide a case that protects the back. That wasn't shown at the Keynote. The Smart Cover is cool, so maybe they wanted to highlight that over a simple shell that covers the back of the iPad Pro. If Apple doesn't do it, the third party's are tooling them up right now I'm sure.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I came across another review of the iPad Pro from the "Hey Siri" event. This one is more informative about the Pencil. The writer said he was able to use the Pencil was working more or less, his words, the way Apple described. Pressure changes and holding the stylus at various angles changes the line weight, that's not new. What was new was that there will be a dongle for the Pencil that is for recharging. You do have to connect the Pencil to the Lightning connector initially to pair it. I doubt he meant like pairing with Bluetooth. Well see on that one. The other cool thing he said was that one Apple employee while demoing the Pencil rested his entire forearm on the screen and it didn't affect the Pencil's performance. That's great news.

I am really eagerly anticipating this iPad Pro!

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/hands-on-with-the-ipad-pro-its-keyboard-and-its-pencil/

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's been some negative comments about the iPad Pro and whether it really can be a productive tool, especially for the art and design community where this iPad is partly aimed at.

Some great news today is that the painting app Procreate updated their site with news of the new version 3 coming on the release day of the iPad Pro. It looks really great what their site is saying. http://procreate.si

Now I really hope Autodesk has equally been working with Apple directly for the Sketchbook app that many designers are using. I'm sure Apple is on the ball with that regard.

Then hopefully, Adobe is working on some possible companion apps for the creative suites. Would be great to have Photoshop on the iPad Pro. This application is one that the critics are saying will inhibit adoption of the iPad Pro in a meaningful way for the creative users if there are no fuller versions of Adobe products.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the info Dave. Maybe they won't be out till the day they are available. Which reminds me, I think I saw the very first iPad the day I actually bought one when I waited in line on the release day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks