What's new

Need help with buying a new system (1 Viewer)

Craig Davidson

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig
Hey everyone, im new to the forum. Im almost finished building my new house and i am looking for help on picking out surround sound hardware for my living room. I've attached a photo. The kitchen is open to the living room (behind the picture) so i will be forced to have in cealiing speakers in the rear. I will also have 2 outdoor speakers that i want the receiver to be able to play music on while still playing tv audio in the lviing room. Would like the entire setup to be under 1,000 bucks. Can you guys point me in the right direction especially on receivers?

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 56

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
$1000...

Well...

Is analog 2nd Zone good enough?

Want that digital/network/USB?

Want that to include HDMI?

If you want digital...the AVR itself is $400-$600 of your budget.
If HDMI. Your budget is gone.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hate to be the one to say this Craig, but that room is not (what I call) “home theater friendly.” A good home theater set-up requires symmetrical speaker placement and that pretty much requires a room with some semblance of symmetricality.

If you want digital...the AVR itself is $400-$600 of your budget.
If HDMI. Your budget is gone.

Sam, Yamaha has receivers that have HDMI and list for a mere $300, and I’m sure others do as well (didn’t do an extensive search). Are you saying that because the HDMI processing is junk in entry-models, or something similar? Asking because I don’t know enough about all the late-model hardware to know, except that HDMI board failure seems to be a pretty common problem these days.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Wayne A. Pflughaupt said:
Hate to be the one to say this Craig, but that room is not (what I call) “home theater friendly.” A good home theater set-up requires symmetrical speaker placement and that pretty much requires a room with some semblance of symmetricality.

Sam, Yamaha has receivers that have HDMI and list for a mere $300, and I’m sure others do as well (didn’t do an extensive search). Are you saying that because the HDMI processing is junk in entry-models, or something similar? Asking because I don’t know enough about all the late-model hardware to know, except that HDMI board failure seems to be a pretty common problem these days.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
No.

He wants 2nd Zone.

My, entire, post is about 2nd Zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks