What's new

Mallrats 2 location announced (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Anyone remember when Smith planned to leave the "View Askewniverse" behind and not use those characters/situations anymore? :unsure:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
Anyone remember when Smith planned to leave the "View Askewniverse" behind and not use those characters/situations anymore? :unsure:
He has to make money. His movies outside that universe like Red State, and Tusk have done pretty poorly.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Colin Jacobson said:
He does have two non-Askewniverse movies coming up so it's not like he's only doing Jay and Silent Bob movies again. I'm a big fan and Clerks II was probably my favorite movie of his so I'm happy to see what the Mallrats characters are up to after 20 years.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
He does have two non-Askewniverse movies coming up so it's not like he's only doing Jay and Silent Bob movies again. I'm a big fan and Clerks II was probably my favorite movie of his so I'm happy to see what the Mallrats characters are up to after 20 years.
Jesus Christ, man, there's just some things you don't talk about in public!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
He has to make money. His movies outside that universe like Red State, and Tusk have done pretty poorly.

If Kevin Smith hasn't earned enough money over his 20-year career to live comfortably the rest of his life, then he's managed his money really poorly!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
He does have two non-Askewniverse movies coming up so it's not like he's only doing Jay and Silent Bob movies again.

Not the point. When someone says they're retiring characters, I expect the characters to stay retired.

Mostly this symbolizes when I see as Smith's creative decline. I think he "retired" the characters to prompt himself to branch out from his bread and butter, but when those other efforts didn't succeed, he scurried back to the old standbys, and I find that disappointing.

I used to really enjoy Smith's work and his sense of humor. Now? Not so much. He just seems like he's stuck in one mode, and that mode doesn't work for me anymore... :unsure:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's embarrassing the number of times I watched the ABC television edit of Mallrats during the nineties.

Colin Jacobson said:
Not the point. When someone says they're retiring characters, I expect the characters to stay retired.

Speaking personally, the only thing I care about is whether the resulting movies are good or not. If they go back to the well and come out with something I enjoy, I'm happy they changed their minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks