What's new

Halloween 2018

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Title: Halloween (2018)

Genre: Horror

Director: David Gordon Green

Cast: Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Greer, Andi Matichak, Will Patton, Virginia Gardner, Sophia Miller, James Jude Courtney, Nick Castle, Haluk Bilginer, Rhian Rees, Jefferson Hall, Toby Huss, Dylan Arnold, Miles Robbins, Jibrail Nantambu, Brien Gregorie, Vince Mattis, Omar J. Dorsey, Christopher Allen Nelson, Charlie Benton, Pedro López, Drew Scheid, Charlie Donadio, Carmela McNeal, Diva Tyler, Kurt Deimer, Christopher Holloway, Roger Antonio, Teresa Ann Johnson, Jonathan Bruce, Michael Harrity, Michael Smallwood, Matthew Anderson, P.J. Soles, Colin Mahan, Angela Anderson, Marian Green, W.F. Bell, David Lowe, Willie Tyrone Ferguson, Johnny Price, Aaron Christian Paderewski, Omar Azimi, Rob Niter, Anthony Woodle

Release: 2018-10-18

Plot: Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago. This film, the 11th film in the "Halloween" series, will ignore the events of all previous sequels, picking up 40 years after the events of the original film.

From Halloween Daily News:

Though it is stated early in the recording that most of the interview was lost due to "technical difficulties", what remains is still pretty great, and I have to admit that I feel better the more I hear and read Dunstan's comments and intentions regarding the new movie.

When asked about how the Michael Myers mask will look, Dunstan says it has to resemble the classic profile from the Johon Carpenter's 1978 original Halloween. Of the mask's reveal, likely in an early teaser trailer, the director cites the recent Star Wars: The Force Awakens teaser featuring a familiar yet aged Harrison Ford at the end, stating, "Our goal is to have that Han and Chewie moment." Later, when asked if he wants to make more sequels after Halloween returns, Dunstan, says, "I want to make The Dark Knight." He also says he wants the new film to stand on its own, Aliens and The Dark Knight are fully satisfying films in their own right, but still continue a story and set up plenty of others to come.

He also seems to confirm that Gillian Jacobs (Community) could be joining the cast(?)!

Other highlights from the interview:

"Halloween, if you have a semicolon, Returns, I think I put it in an email as a subtitle, but I think it was registered as Halloween Returns, which is fine. I like that, and it works, it does function as what it means to say. But if you commit a violent act, sometimes you get returns. What are the repercussions of being a violent entity? In that case, Halloween Returns could mean a number of things."

"I hope, I mean ideally, and this is just the fanboy in me talking, there's some Comic Con or something, and there's this asterisk in the panel or this untitled movie or something. Then when people don't know what it is, and a lot of people are like 'Well, I'm gonna go to the bathroom', it just hits. And no one sees it coming."

"The coolest thing we've done so far is a couple motion tests of potential Michaels."

"I want to see a film shot on film. I want it to be one that stands on its own."

"I really like this actress Gillian Jacobs. She's known for all this comedy on Community, and yet I didn't know her from Community first, I knew her from a movie called Gardens of the Night, which is one of the most wrenching dramas, and she's excellent. I thought, 'I wonder if this great performer would do that again, would like to go there, and I think so."

"Embracing social media, I think one of the first key images has got to be that carefully set up Instagram photo of the mask in profile with that border edge lighting, so you know right away what the intent is. If it looks anything at all disparaging to anybody, than we've failed. Our goal is really to have that Han and Chewie moment."

"We went back to the original screenplay too and just read it, John Carpenter's draft, and timed it with watching the movie, and line for line it keeps the same clock as watching the movie, so if you're reading the pages, it's almost like a shot list."

"Suspense isn't expensive. A karate fight in a burning room is expensive."

"Michael Myers is subtlety and suspense."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I like what they're saying but I'll be the 'never happy fan' and say they sound like hardcore fans that just want to copy the original movie. I'm glad they want to remain true to what was great about the original but they should take what worked and do their own thing. Doing what Carpenter has already done is pointless and probably impossible to replicate for a variety reasons. The sequels they're citing (Aliens, The Dark Knight and hopefully The Force Awakens) took the premise of the earlier movies and built on it rather than treading the same ground.

Also, f-social media. They need to focus entirely on the movie and not about what picture to put up on Instagram.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
This sounds like a disaster just waiting to happen.

Please stop with this crazy need to re-do classic movies.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The most interesting thing I've read about it is that they're following the first three films and ignoring the rest. On the surface, you think "Hey! Great!". . . .

but wait - how do you incorporate Season of the Witch into the mainstream Halloween mythology? Unless he misspoke and meant 1, 2 and 4 - or perhaps there's a nod to Silver Shamrocks in there somewhere.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Tony J Case said:
but wait - how do you incorporate Season of the Witch into the mainstream Halloween mythology? Unless he misspoke and meant 1, 2 and 4 - or perhaps there's a nod to Silver Shamrocks in there somewhere.
You're probably right that it would be a mention of Silver Shamrock but I'd love to hear that Cochran's plan worked and he ended up killing a huge chunk of the population.

[NERD]Also, I'd point out that Silver Shamrock and Michael Myers take place in different universes because the original Halloween is playing on TV in Halloween III.[/NERD]

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
[NERD]Also, I'd point out that Silver Shamrock and Michael Myers take place in different universes because the original Halloween is playing on TV in Halloween III.[/NERD]

[SUPERNERD]Clearly what we saw on television was simple a documentary or some kind of dramatic recreation many years after the Myers Rampage.[/SUPERNERD]

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
From Bloody Disgusting:

Long-time Halloween producer Malek Akkad has opened up about the delays with the upcoming Halloween sequel, Halloween Returns, proclaiming that it’s all for the good of the film.

Akkad tells Daily Dead, “…there is a bit of a delay with this sequel now.But I do think it is a good thing for the franchise. It’s only going to be resulting in a better film, which I hope the fans appreciate. But this new Halloween isn’t going to be quite what has been announced and what people are expecting, so we’re making some changes there as well.

When speaking about working with Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, Akkad explained, “We found that we all were very much on the same level of what we wanted to do, in spite of the fact that the studio wasn’t necessarily in agreement. I just felt like I really had partners who would also fight the good fight and fight for the ideas, and fight for the things that we wanted to make sure we got right. And I just think they’re fantastic and super-talented.

In what is a worrisome but potentially interesting and positive reveal, Akkad opened up about studio troubles with this film. “I have to say, and this is somewhat new news—but unfortunately things happen in Hollywood where you have issues with studios and different variables—we’ve had to take a step back and now we’re trying to refigure this beast that is the new Halloween.

Halloween Returns is being directed by Dunstan based on a script by him and Melton. They explained that the film will follow the events of the first three Halloween films.

Early plot details for Halloween Returns revealed the following:

Halloween Returns will be a standalone film set to reintroduce audiences to Michael Myers years after his initial rampage. It will pit a new group of Haddonfield youngsters against Myers.

The now 18-year-old child of one of Myers’ victims plays a central role along with the child of a cop whose long been obsessed with Myers’ case, even putting it before his own daughter.

Myers is now on death row and the two kids with their own personal vendettas against the killer sneak in to watch his execution. But when things go awry and Myers escapes, the pair, along with their friends, find themselves in the firing line.

Akkad is the son of Moustapha Akkad, who produced the original Halloween films. Akkad’s father and sister were killed in a suicide bombing in Jordan in 2005.

All of this makes me wonder if Akkad, Dunstan, and Melton have a vision of Michael Myers that is so radically different from what fans know and love that the studios are hesitant to take the risk. That being said, it could simply be a matter of funding that’s holding things up, so you never know until the real story comes out.

It’s also interesting that this comes after the news that a new Friday the 13th film has also been delayed. More on that here.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I still don't know how they intend to follow-up the first THREE films, when the third film has nothing to do with the Myers mythology.

If Akkad really intends to reference Part 3 in some way,he should drop a hint as to how, otherwise it sounds like he doesn't know his own franchise.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Remember when people could write a screenplay and have a new sequel out every year? Now it takes 8 years to get a F13 film going. It takes delay after delay to get HALLOWEEN going again. Jeez.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Someone over at Bloody Disgusting got a chance to look at the screenplay. Spoiler: it didn't look too bad!

Yeah, well, that's only part of it. I generally liked Halloween 4 and H20 except for one problem, they couldn't get the fucking mask to look right (also another mistake that all the sequels had at one point or another, you should never be able to see Michael's through the mask). I'm not a subject matter expert on this, but how hard could it be to sculpt a mask that looks like the original.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Not that hard - the ones that you can get from Trick r Treat Studios (for about 60 bucks) look pretty boss:

Halloween_II_Deluxe_Front_7.png

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I generally liked Halloween 4 and H20 except for one problem, they couldn't get the fucking mask to look right...
That bothers me when the mask couldn't have changed between movies and it's still markedly different. In Halloween 4, I can accept it being different since it's a new mask* but it has to be the same in Halloween 5 and it's not even close to the same. I'll even let it slide in The Curse Of Michael Myers because in my mind, it's the same mask but maybe he got a new mask since he packed on about 50 pounds in the 6 years between the two movies.

All that being said, they could make a sequel where they bring back Busta Rhymes and I'd still be super excited for it if the mask was a duplicate of the first two movies.

* Though why any store in Haddonfield would stock that particular mask is hard to understand but I guess they want to get the money from those bad kids that pull the multiple Michael prank on Dr. Loomis and Sheriff Meeker.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
* Though why any store in Haddonfield would stock that particular mask is hard to understand but I guess they want to get the money from those bad kids that pull the multiple Michael prank on Dr. Loomis and Sheriff Meeker.

That's a question I always had as well.

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I'm wondering if John Carpenter will be involved like it was suggested some time ago? One would think that it would almost have to follow the H20 installment. I don't see bringing Jamie Lee back from the dead!!

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Halloween H40? Or Halloween H20 H20: Another 20 Years Later? They clearly are ignoring H8 (as they should, it was garbage, whose than 6) but wondering about H20's continuity fitting in. I watched it a year ago for the first time in a long while, and it's actually a decent little thriller. But didn't that one essentially ignore 4-6? Well, whatever they have to do to wash Rob Zombie out of my mouth. YUCK!

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'm wondering if John Carpenter will be involved like it was suggested some time ago? One would think that it would almost have to follow the H20 installment. I don't see bringing Jamie Lee back from the dead!!

From HalloweenMovies™, the Official Halloween Website:
Master of horror John Carpenter will executive produce and serve as creative consultant on this film

http://halloweenmovies.com/jamie-lee-curtis-returns-to-halloween/

Now "executive producer" and "creative consultant" can mean a lot of things from doing something to doing nothing! I would think he would inevitably be involved with the music too, but we'll see.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks