What's new

CD/Blu-Ray Player Skipping. Could the set-up cause this? (1 Viewer)

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
I have an Oppo combo player which started skipping after watching a Blu-Ray or listening to a CD. It does not happen right away, but only after 10-15 minutes of use. I took the oppo to a local shop and they could find nothing wrong and could not recreate the issue. While the oppo was in the shop I plugged in a dedicated CD player and the same skipping issue happened. Could this possibly be caused by the system configuration?

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
Both. You've spoken to "everyone" out there that has used Oppo's customer no service? Because the people I have spoken with have had similar experiences to mine.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Since this also happened with a CD player it sounds like it could be vibrations or heat caused by a placement issue. Is it stacked on top of other components? Is there a subwoofer nearby? Is there something causing mechanical vibrations? Does the problem occur without any sound playing?

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
Peter Apruzzese said:
Since this also happened with a CD player it sounds like it could be vibrations or heat caused by a placement issue. Is it stacked on top of other components? Is there a subwoofer nearby? Is there something causing mechanical vibrations? Does the problem occur without any sound playing?

Good Questions!

The CD/Blu-Ray sits on the top shelf of a heavy duty Billy Bags rack 4' wide rack. There is a turntable on the same shelf as the player with the remaining components on separate shelves below. The sub is on the opposite side of the room. Yes this happens without the sound playing. One thing I failed to mention is that when the Oppo is skipping there is a high pitched clicking sound, which continues even if I mute the system.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
OK, did the CD player exhibit the same behavior in terms of time? I assume the clicking you heard was coming from the Oppo itself. How many different discs did you test with?
If both players exhibit the same problem with multiple discs, then it has to be environmental in some way. The likelihood of both payers failing mechanically in the same way is microscopic.

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
Peter Apruzzese said:
OK, did the CD player exhibit the same behavior in terms of time? I assume the clicking you heard was coming from the Oppo itself. How many different discs did you test with?
If both players exhibit the same problem with multiple discs, then it has to be environmental in some way. The likelihood of both payers failing mechanically in the same way is microscopic.

The CD Player began skipping early on with the disc, while the Oppo took a while (30-40 minutes into the disc) before the skipping started. I tried numerous discs in each unit with similar results. I had Magnolia come out and check the system and they could find nothing that was hooked up incorrectly so if its environmental any suggestions where I should start?

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Try the players in a completely different spot - if possible even another room. Use headphones and see if they still skip after the allotted time. The fact that the Oppo didn't have any problems in the shop suggests something in the room. Something severe enough to also affect the CD player. The only real environmental issues I can think of are heat or vibration.

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
Peter Apruzzese said:
Try the players in a completely different spot - if possible even another room. Use headphones and see if they still skip after the allotted time. The fact that the Oppo didn't have any problems in the shop suggests something in the room. Something severe enough to also affect the CD player. The only real environmental issues I can think of are heat or vibration.
Will give these a shot this weekend and report back. Thanks for your assistance!

Browns7213

Agent
Real Name
David
I felt I needed to update this post to recognize Oppo for finally taking care of this long standing problem. After multiple back & forth e-mails & phone calls they finally agreed to address the issue. The unit was sent back to Oppo and upon receiving it they were able to recreate the problem in their shop. They replaced an audio board in the unit and returned it to me and it appears to be working fine. To their credit, Oppo paid shipping both ways and asked how they could have handled the situation better. I'm glad they stepped up to remedy the situation and wanted to recognize them publicly for doing so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks