What's new

BBC: Netflix U.S. removes thousands of videos from EPIX deal (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Thousands of movies will be removed from Netflix in the US after the streaming service decided not to renew a deal with distributor Epix.

Removed titles will include the Hunger Games and Transformers movies.

Netflix, which has more than 60 million subscribers worldwide, said it wanted to focus on exclusive content.

Rival US service Hulu will take on the Epix catalogue. "Our subscribers have been asking us for more, and more recent, big movies," Hulu said.

"We listened. Through this new deal with Epix, we are proud to now be able to offer a huge selection of the biggest blockbusters and premium films."

Netflix's deal with Epix - which was worth a reported $1bn (£650m) - runs up until the end of September 2015, at which point the films will disappear from the service.
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-34110968

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Towergrove said:

Nice. So Netflix wants to focus on exclusive content and be another HBO. I guess for the best selection of streaming movies then people will have to look elsewhere, like Hulu and Amazon. I think Netflix underestimates the value of having a decent movie selection. Not everyone wants to watch House of Cards. The only reason why I have Netflix is because of kids content. I don't watch it myself (everything I watch is on disc). If the kids shows start to go away, then I'll cancel.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I don't see Netflix loosing much kids stuff with Epix although I could be wrong about that. Plus Netflix signed a deal with Disney to get exclusive rights to their content. It starts up next year.

That’s not the only reason Netflix probably isn’t as worried about losing Epix as it might have been in the past: Another big reason (as it pointed out in its release) is that it signed another deal some time ago that is going to start bearing fruit very soon—namely, a deal with Disney.

Most importantly, the Disney deal isn’t just for the company’s back catalogue of past hits, but alsoincludes the right to show first-run movies eight months after they hit the theaters. That part of the arrangement goes into action next year. Netflix outbid Starz for those rights, and when it was announced in 2012 the company’s share price jumped by more than 14%.

The Disney arrangement gives Netflix access to movies from Pixar, Marvel (i.e., the Avengers franchise) and Lucasfilm — including the hotly awaited Star Wars films, which are likely to be box-office gold. So between having exclusive rights to stream those movies and Netflix’s focus on its own in-house content, the company’s strategy is well under way. It is more expensive to execute, but in the long term it should provide more value, and differentiate Netflix from a growing group of competitors such as Amazon and Hulu.

I am a little surprised that so many of the stories about Netflix loosing the Epix content don't mention the Disney deal which will result in much better content for Netflix. Granted, it will take a little time to ramp up but still, it seems relevant.

-Keith

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Keith Plucker said:
I am a little surprised that so many of the stories about Netflix loosing the Epix content don't mention the Disney deal which will result in much better content for Netflix. Granted, it will take a little time to ramp up but still, it seems relevant.

-Keith
Very true but only if you like Disney. I am a big fan of Disney movies but will just buy the sell thru prior to the netflix showings.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Epix mainly distributes films from Paramount, MGM, and Lionsgate. Paramount is a pretty big deal. MGM and Lionsgate aren't so much, especially compared to WB, Fox, Universal, Sony/Columbia and Disney.

As long as Netflix has exclusive content from Disney, it's own original shows, and a smattering of content from WB, Fox, Universal and Sony/Columbia, they'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks