What's new

Hank 1965 nbc sitcom has been cleared for release! (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Never heard of it but always glad to see more 50's-60's TV released from Warner Archive.

I see that post was from March and it does mention its not a sure thing but since its been cleared I would think it will be released once re-mastered.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Never heard of it, but the premise sounds entertaining so I hope they follow through with releasing it.

It would also add another season to the long list of shows available on DVD from what was perhaps tv's greatest season. Hopefully a few others, like the shamefully absent My Three Sons, will follow one of these days since there's still several very deserving candidates here that remain absent.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Just to let you guys know, there is a picture of Hank on the WA page today. No formal announcement though. Looks like something might be happening soon. Good news for a very slow time.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I like Warner Archive having some fun with their FB posts promoting the imminent release of HANK..."Strange man seen on campus, report to registrar"...this looks like a fun show, one that I missed back in the day...I'm glad we are getting it now...definite pre-order for me.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This isn't a title I'd pick up on release date (maybe later) but I think it is impressive that yet *another* title from the 1965-66 season made it to DVD. We're at about 43 I think now (there is an old thread on this subject I'm too lazy to look for at the moment) with S5 of "Dr. Kildare" still to come and still hope for maybe "Please Don't Eat The Daisies" in the future. After that, I can't think of any other shows for that year that could realistically make it at this point (now that "Gunsmoke" and "Bonanza" have both made it there)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
This isn't a title I'd pick up on release date (maybe later) but I think it is impressive that yet *another* title from the 1965-66 season made it to DVD. We're at about 43 I think now (there is an old thread on this subject I'm too lazy to look for at the moment) with S5 of "Dr. Kildare" still to come and still hope for maybe "Please Don't Eat The Daisies" in the future. After that, I can't think of any other shows for that year that could realistically make it at this point (now that "Gunsmoke" and "Bonanza" have both made it there)
Probably not going to happen but I'm still hoping for Peyton Place, Run For Your Life, My 3 Sons, and 12 "O Clock High from that season.

JayHink

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Never saw Hank. (Perhaps because I was born in '76, & have always been more of a 70s, 80s & 90s collector). But I've recently been picking up steam in adding 50s & 60s shows to my collection.

I look forward to picking this one up as well!

Frank -- I remember watching Run for Your Life reruns on WWOR (via my local cable system in Oregon); it aired in the slot before I caught Knight Rider reruns, circa 1988-89. I'd love to see Run again on disc!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:

My two biggest remaining wants from that TV season would now be The Double Life of Henry Phyfe and Trials of O'Brien. I have a handful of both but wouldn't mind seeing the complete runs.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
My Three Sons was was still reliably putting out entertaining episodes that season (And as far as I'm concerned, hadn't even peaked yet since Tina Cole wasn't yet part of the cast).

Sad that it's absent, but with them licensing other properties out, I don't think a revival is out of the question. I'd like to believe that this one could join the list of shows from 1965 that are available on DVD.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
LeoA said:
My Three Sons was was still reliably putting out entertaining episodes that season (And as far as I'm concerned, hadn't even peaked yet since Tina Cole wasn't yet part of the cast).

Sad that it's absent, but with them licensing other properties out, I don't think a revival is out of the question. I'd like to believe that this one could join the list of shows from 1965 that are available on DVD.

I never really watched the show after it moved to CBS and went to color. My memories of it were from the ABC years, which thanks to Nick at Nite, we were able to get finally, complete and uncut. No Bub or Mike, I'm not interested.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Here again the full list of 65-66 season shows on DVD for that year.

Andy Griffith Show
Batman
Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
Bonanza
Combat!
Daktari
Daniel Boone
Dick Van Dyke Show
F Troop
Flipper
Get Smart!
Gidget
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle USMC
Green Acres
Gunsmoke
Hazel
Hogan's Heroes
Honey West
I Dream of Jeannie
I Spy
Laredo
Lost in Space
McHale's Navy
Mister Ed
My Favorite Martian
My Mother the Car
Patty Duke Show
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
The Addams Family
The Baron
The Big Valley
The FBI
The Flintstones
The Fugitive
The Lucy Show
The Man From UNCLE
The Munsters
The Virginian
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Wild, Wild West

43 on the nose with two more pending. I forget what the final total of shows for the year there are would be if we eliminated variety and game shows.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's certainly hard to beat the early seasons of My Three Sons, particularly with their consistency. It's difficult to find a bad episode in the first five seasons.

But the first two seasons with Tina Cole (1967 and 1968) playing the role of Robbie's girlfriend and soon to be wife, manages it I think despite a few duds in those seasons. (Easy enough to forgive, considering we're talking about nearly 60 episodes).

She's such an excellent addition to the cast, that I think she single handily helped reinvigorate it and keep it interesting for several additional years. Sadly though, the decline that had to happen, soon started as they wrapped up the marriage and triplet storylines and set about evolving the other characters.

Either way, hopefully it joins Hank, which I'm looking forward to hopefully checking out one of these days, in the long list of shows from that year that are on DVD. :)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Jack P said:
Here again the full list of 65-66 season shows on DVD for that year.

Andy Griffith Show
Batman
Beverly Hillbillies
Bewitched
Bonanza
Combat!
Daktari
Daniel Boone
Dick Van Dyke Show
F Troop
Flipper
Get Smart!
Gidget
Gilligan's Island
Gomer Pyle USMC
Green Acres
Gunsmoke
Hazel
Hogan's Heroes
Honey West
I Dream of Jeannie
I Spy
Laredo
Lost in Space
McHale's Navy
Mister Ed
My Favorite Martian
My Mother the Car
Patty Duke Show
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
The Addams Family
The Baron
The Big Valley
The FBI
The Flintstones
The Fugitive
The Lucy Show
The Man From UNCLE
The Munsters
The Virginian
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
Wild, Wild West

43 on the nose with two more pending. I forget what the final total of shows for the year there are would be if we eliminated variety and game shows.
I seem to recall we did that in a thread a few years back. Without the game and variety shows, it's a staggering amount for a 50 year old TV season. I'm guessing like 65-70 percent. The years 64-65, and 66-67 aren't that far behind 65-66 either. Great years.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
JayHink said:
Never saw Hank. (Perhaps because I was born in '76, & have always been more of a 70s, 80s & 90s collector). But I've recently been picking up steam in adding 50s & 60s shows to my collection.

I look forward to picking this one up as well!

Frank -- I remember watching Run for Your Life reruns on WWOR (via my local cable system in Oregon); it aired in the slot before I caught Knight Rider reruns, circa 1988-89. I'd love to see Run again on disc!
I know I'm beating a dead horse but since it is my all time grail show, please pardon me...I just don't get how some of the shows from 65 like the Baron or Hank can be released (no offense to those shows, I'm actually extremely glad Hank is coming) when a hit show like Run For Your Life that ran 3 full seasons is lying around unreleased.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
According to Neil in the last thread about this great tv year, this is what's missing.

Neil Brock said:
Here's what's missing:

Sitcoms: Wackiest Ship in the Army, Farmer's Daughter (S3), The John Forsythe Show, Please Don't Eat the Daisies (S1), Ozzie and Harriet (S14), O,K. Crackerby, Double Life of Henry Phyfe, My Three Sons (S6), Mona McCluskey, The Smothers Brothers Show, Camp Runamuck, Hank, Mr. Roberts.

Dramas: Trials of O'Brien, The Long Hot Summer, Lassie (S12), Bob Hope Chrysler Theatre (S3), The Blue Light, 12 O'Clock High, Ben Casey (S5), Dr. Kildare (S5), Run For Your Life (S1), Amos Burke Secret Agent, Slattery's People (S2), Convoy.

Westerns: A Man Called Shenandoah, The Legend of Jesse James, The Loner.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/336296-best-represented-year-for-tv-on-dvd/

Happily, two of those seem set to come out in the near future. Sad to see what will still be in the vaults though afterwards, since there's undoubtedly some deserving shows here that would be welcome on DVD.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Neil Brock said:
My two biggest remaining wants from that TV season would now be The Double Life of Henry Phyfe and Trials of O'Brien. I have a handful of both but wouldn't mind seeing the complete runs.
I haven't seen Henry Phyfe, but I have several Trials of O'Brien episodes and it's a terrific show. The mystery plots are pretty good, but it's one of those shows like The Rockford Files in which every single character, no matter how brief the part, is endowed with real personality. I'd love a full set of that one, although as it's now held by Fox (I believe), that will require a major philosophical turnaround.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks