What's new

Dolby Atmos speaker question (1 Viewer)

bepaof17

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
I bought two Energy bookshelf speakers and mounted them as Front High left and right. I also purchased an Onkyo TX-NR646 receiver which supports Dolby Atmos. Now however, after reading more and more about Atmos, I'm confused. Should I have bought Dolby Atmos-enabled Speakers for Atmos to work properly? Is there some electronic thing inside the speaker that tells it to only send the Atmos sounds to this speaker? Maybe so, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Someone please help me here because I'm ready to remove my mounted bookshelf speakers - sell them - and replace them with Onkyo SKH-410 Atmos-enabled speakers, and I would hate to do that if I don't need to to get Atmos sounds.

Thanks,
Pete

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
A speaker in the proper spot(where you have them) is the correct way.

Enabled is for those who can't(or won't) do it the correct way,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Atmos requires speakers to be mounted overhead, or the use of special speakers with extra top-mounted drivers (so-called Atmos enabled) that reflect off the ceiling to approximate the use of overhead speakers. Naturally, the effectiveness of the latter is highly dependent on your ceiling, your distance from the screen, etc. so I don’t put much stock in them.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

bepaof17

Auditioning
Real Name
Pete
Unfortunately I have a cathedral ceiling, so the only way I could think of getting any Atmos effect was to mount High Front speakers 3 feet above my front speakers. I couldn't find any opinions on whether anyone thought this would work. That's why I posted here.

Pete

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The original demos on NYC and Burbank...

One used ceiling speakers, the other aped Yamaha F/R Presence.

When I move from IIz to Atmos(sometime this month, if the upper Onkyo finally get released), I'm not moving my front speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks