What's new

Switched From Soundbars to First Audio (Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1) Help Please (1 Viewer)

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Hi everyone,

After buying different sound bars and not being happy with the results, I am finally setting up a new 5.1 Speaker System for my "home theater" in my apartment.

So I went with the following:

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V379 Receiver
Speakers: 5.1 Andrew Jones SP-PK52FS setup (subwoofer, 2 towers, 2 bookshelf's, and 1 center)

I wanted the "best" on a budget and feel like this is going to be a great setup from all of the reviews, especially for an apartment.

I'm going to mate this all up with my 103-Darbee Oppo Blu-Ray/Media Player and X-Finity HD DVR box and my Samsung 65" JS8500 4K TV.

What are your opinions on the route that I chose? I read a lot of reviews on here and many other sites and it seemed like this was a great setup at a great price. The only downside seemed like the subwoofer, should I have went with a different one? I also heard a reviewer mention that he was disappointed that the center channel was only 2x4" Woofers and not over 5" ones like in the Towers.

Is there anything I should know about setting up a system like this?

I just got the basic gauge wire that they sell at Best Buy and I actually purchased the 1 cable that was supposed to hook up my subwoofer, but my subwoofer doesn't have any output for it?

So what I ended up doing was hooking up AV Cables from the Subwoofer to the back of the Yamaha, is this fine or should I hardwire it with this basic wire? Would one wire be better than another?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to home theater systems so any help would be great, even if they are links to external/internal threads that will help me.

I don't really have many options on covering up the wires for my living room other than a little rug, what do most people do here for an apartment? I'm assuming you can't do much. I remember an AT&T guy hooking up cable service years ago that had some kind of plastic staples that he used.. Where can I get something like that at to make the install cleaner?

I'm mainly watching Blu-Rays on this setup, but will watch DVR as well. Is there any specific settings I'm going to want to do on my AV Receiver, Oppo Blu-Ray player, and Samsung 4k TV?

Any help at all and advice would be very helpful.

Thank you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well...I would have chosen an Onkyo or Denon for variable crossovers(so the towers could be set 60, the center/rear at 80).

The AJ sub isn't going to win any awards. The only reason to buy it is if you are anal over all the speakers being the same brand(the 5.0 should be. The .1 can be whatever).

Wirewold cordmate.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
Well...I would have chosen an Onkyo or Denon for variable crossovers(so the towers could be set 60, the center/rear at 80).

The AJ sub isn't going to win any awards. The only reason to buy it is if you are anal over all the speakers being the same brand(the 5.0 should be. The .1 can be whatever).

Wirewold cordmate.
Thank you for this. What sub would you recommend that would be found at fry's and best buy magnolia store? Also, what receiver do you recommend over this one then? Can this yamaha not work well then?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why does it have to be Best Buy/Fry?

BIC F12. Which is available from BB.com.

Whatever Onkyo/Denon has the features you want...like the 379 has.

Yes, the 379 works. It just has 1 crossover point.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
Why does it have to be Best Buy/Fry?

BIC F12. Which is available from BB.com.

Whatever Onkyo/Denon has the features you want...like the 379 has.

Yes, the 379 works. It just has 1 crossover point.
I was just asking because those are the stores nearby my house. Can you further explain the crossover point and why I want a second one? Also, does speaker wire gauge matter and brand? Thank you

*Edit* is this Denon okay to get?Model: AVR-S510BT . Does it have the crossover?

That model subwoofer isn't sold in stores. What all subwoofers are a better option and did you see my question about how I connect the subwoofer?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
iStorm said:
I was just asking because those are the stores nearby my house. Can you further explain the crossover point and why I want a second one?
Actually...there are 4. 5 if using 7, 6 if using 9, 8 if using 11.

Also, does speaker wire gauge matter and brand?
Copper is copper. Use 14awg. Go to Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards/some hardware store and buy 50-100ft, however much you need, of 14awg lamp cord. Whatever color you want. Want 20 feet of beige and 40 feet of green...so be it.

*Edit* is this Denon okay to get?Model:AVR-S510BT . Does it have the crossover?
Any Denon with Audyssey has variable crossover.
Which is used so every speaker you have...is set to use the potential you bought the speaker for. With 1 crossover, having to set at 80hz...cuts the towers off at the knees. And means, you might as well return them...for another pair of bookshelves(although there are "THX 80hz guideliners" that disagree and think...."no matter what, the crossover should be 80". I care not one bit for THX).

That model subwoofer isn't sold in stores.
I know it isn't sold in stores, hence BB.com.

What all subwoofers are a better option
BIC F12
BIC V1220
BIC PL200 (if you haven't guessed. BIC is "it" from $150 till about $250. Nobody else even tries)

and did you see my question about how I connect the subwoofer?
Subwoofer cable...also known as

Composite video/digital coax

All three are the very same, exact, cable.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
I was just asking because those are the stores nearby my house. Can you further explain the crossover point and why I want a second one?
Actually...there are 4. 5 if using 7, 6 if using 9, 8 if using 11.

Also, does speaker wire gauge matter and brand?
Copper is copper. Use 14awg. Go to Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards/some hardware store and buy 50-100ft, however much you need, of 14awg lamp cord. Whatever color you want. Want 20 feet of beige and 40 feet of green...so be it.

*Edit* is this Denon okay to get?Model:AVR-S510BT . Does it have the crossover?
Any Denon with Audyssey has variable crossover.
Which is used so every speaker you have...is set to use the potential you bought the speaker for. With 1 crossover, having to set at 80hz...cuts the towers off at the knees. And means, you might as well return them...for another pair of bookshelves(although there are "THX 80hz guideliners" that disagree and think...."no matter what, the crossover should be 80". I care not one bit for THX).

That model subwoofer isn't sold in stores.
I know it isn't sold in stores, hence BB.com.

What all subwoofers are a better option
BIC F12
BIC V1220
BIC PL200 (if you haven't guessed. BIC is "it" from $150 till about $250. Nobody else even tries)

and did you see my question about how I connect the subwoofer?
Subwoofer cable...also known as

Composite video/digital coax

All three are the very same, exact, cable.

Wow, you're very helpful.. Thank you. The Denon AVR-S510BT 5.2 says that it does not have Audyssey.

Wow, you're very helpful.. Thank you. The Denon AVR-S510BT 5.2 says that it does not have Audyssey.

Can I get a 7.1 channel receiver like the Onkyo TX-SR444 and use it with the 5.1 system?

We already purchased 16 gauge wire, is that an issue? It was the 16 gauge basic wire at best buy. Our longest run is going to be 20 feet.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
Yes you can configure any 7.1 AVR as 5.1.

16 is fine. I usually recommend 12 or 14.
Any reason why you recommend the 12 or 14 over the 16? I can always return this one and get the better wire if needed.

Can you verify that the Onkyo I listed is the right one for me? I don't know much about this stuff.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
iStorm said:
Any reason why you recommend the 12 or 14 over the 16? I can always return this one and get the better wire if needed.

Can you verify that the Onkyo I listed is the right one for me? I don't know much about this stuff.
As long as the 444 has the features you want...

The 545 is $100 more...anything it has...you would spend $100 more to get?

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
As long as the 444 has the features you want...

The 545 is $100 more...anything it has...you would spend $100 more to get?
I really wish that I knew more about these things.. I don't know what features I should want. I just looked at reviews and a lot of them said to get the Yamaha one so I got it, but it wasn't with the pioneer system. It was just in general.

I keep researching the FIC company and most people are saying that it is okay, but a lot of negative reviews as well. I don't need the best since I'm in an apartment, but I want quality.. It sounds like a 475w 12" woofer might be too powerful for my apartment.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The main difference 444 to 545...

Networking. It has Spotify, Deezer, Airplay. Use any of that?

Has remote apps for Apple and Android.

AccuEQ "Advanced"(444 is regular).

Next generation GUI for the OSD. Easier to follow setup*, essentially.

Another thing it has, powered Zone 2 that has access to Networking and USB. You could hook up a 2nd pair of speakers in the kitchen. If you live with somebody and you want music in the kitchen without it having to be "loud enough to get from the living room"(no idea the layout...)...The 545 gives you that option. Or if you wanted a simple 2.0 in your bedroom. Run some wire...and a pair of speakers...tunes in the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom without having to crank it up...

*not that the 444 OSD is difficult(it isn't). The 545 and up "next generation" takes "idiot proof" up a notch.

Whether you buy the 444 or 545, you should by up and running the radio(or networking with the 545) with some music in 20 minutes or less. It would take me 5 minutes, but I've been doing this 30 years.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
The main difference 444 to 545...

Networking. It has Spotify, Deezer, Airplay. Use any of that?

Has remote apps for Apple and Android.

AccuEQ "Advanced"(444 is regular).

Next generation GUI for the OSD. Easier to follow setup*, essentially.

Another thing it has, powered Zone 2 that has access to Networking and USB. You could hook up a 2nd pair of speakers in the kitchen. If you live with somebody and you want music in the kitchen without it having to be "loud enough to get from the living room"(no idea the layout...)...The 545 gives you that option. Or if you wanted a simple 2.0 in your bedroom. Run some wire...and a pair of speakers...tunes in the kitchen/bathroom/bedroom without having to crank it up...

*not that the 444 OSD is difficult(it isn't). The 545 and up "next generation" takes "idiot proof" up a notch.

Whether you buy the 444 or 545, you should by up and running the radio(or networking with the 545) with some music in 20 minutes or less. It would take me 5 minutes, but I've been doing this 30 years.
I'm just not sure I want to spend $500-600 on a receiver. Is it worth it for the kind of setup I have currently? I just live in an apartment and want it to work well, but I don't need the top of the line, which is why I went with the budget Andrew Jones Pioneer setup.

Also, are you positive that all of these new Onkyo and Denon's are going to have the settings that I need for crossover? I definitely want the easiest one to setup for the best sound quality possible. I am definitely an "idiot" when it comes to home theater.. That's why I have always spent thousands of dollars on sound bars that sound nothing like a real sound system. This Pioneer has already blown me away tonight and I don't even have it setup.

BTW I couldn't get the subwoofer setup on this.. The Receiver has a subwoofer out, which is just one cable hole and the subwoofer itself has a white and a black RCA hole so I must need some sort of adapter, unless I'm looking at the wrong stuff. There is also a wire option on the subwoofer itself as well. There is just not one RCA hole like on the receiver itself. The sub cable I purchased was just a single RCA to single RCA cable.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
"Top of the line" is a $2000+ AVR.

If you don't need those additional features, don't spend the extra $100. That. Is. Really. How. You. Decide. Which. AVR. To. Buy.

Did you go into setup in the Yamaha and tell it...you have a subwoofer?

The PIO AJ simply has two inputs(just as the instruction manual says). You use...one of them. Pick one. Makes zero difference.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
"Top of the line" is a $2000+ AVR.

If you don't need those additional features, don't spend the extra $100. That. Is. Really. How. You. Decide. Which. AVR. To. Buy.

Did you go into setup in the Yamaha and tell it...you have a subwoofer?

The PIO AJ simply has two inputs(just as the instruction manual says). You use...one of them. Pick one. Makes zero difference.
The only thing I could see benefiting from is having the easier setup since I'm dumb when it comes to home audio.

Yes, I went into setup and told it I have a subwoofer. I have the subwoofer setup with 2 RCA cables going from the receiver to the subwoofer and it still doesn't work.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Connect the LFE output on the receiver to one of the inputs on the sub. Don't use both inputs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Settings on "your stuff"...

Yamaha.

All speakers "small".
Subwoofer "yes"

You should not have the option of "LFE + main". If for some reason you do..."off".

BD player...

bitstream (some players that is auto/PCM. Choose "auto")
Sound downmix off (or multi-channel)
Secondary audio off

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
schan1269 said:
Settings on "your stuff"...

Yamaha.

All speakers "small".
Subwoofer "yes"

You should not have the option of "LFE + main". If for some reason you do..."off".

BD player...

bitstream (some players that is auto/PCM. Choose "auto")
Sound downmix off (or multi-channel)
Secondary audio off
Does if matter if you put large or small for the speakers? Also, is "distance" the amount of distance I am from the each speaker or the receiver to each speaker?

Thanks for those other settings. I don't have an LFE anything
Wayne_j said:
Connect the LFE output on the receiver to one of the inputs on the sub. Don't use both inputs.
There is no LFE output on this receiver. It must be too entry level. It just has a sub out (RCA) and then the sub itself only has 2 RCA jacks and places where I can put wire.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It does matter if you put large or small, if you put large all the sound for the channel feeding that speaker gets sent to the speaker and none gets sent to the subwoofer. You definitely need to have it set to small for these speakers.

Connect the Sub Out (RCA) to ONE of the two RCA jacks on the subwoofer.

Use the settings that Schan1269 recommended above, those should be correct for your system.

iStorm

Agent
Real Name
Rob
Wayne_j said:
It does matter if you put large or small, if you put large all the sound for the channel feeding that speaker gets sent to the speaker and none gets sent to the subwoofer. You definitely need to have it set to small for these speakers.

Connect the Sub Out (RCA) to ONE of the two RCA jacks on the subwoofer.

Use the settings that Schan1269 recommended above, those should be correct for your system.
Thank you for this information. I think I am going to go with the 2015 Denon X series so it will be a bit future proof. It sounds like it is the best one to go with for me.

Does it matter which port I put it in then when plugging in the cable to the sub? Just do sub out on the receiver and plug the other end to right or left?

Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks