What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Murder, My Sweet -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

It's a special treat to see an RKO logo in HD, no less, HD up-rezzed to 4k

It's even nicer, when the film is of the importance of Edward Dmytryk's Murder, My Sweet, a superb noir drama, starring Dick Powell, Claire Trevor, Anne Shirley and Otto Kruger.

The film is a bona fide classic.

And since the WB Archive Collection is taking second place to no one at this time -- yes, it looks as if it could be a Sony release -- that makes it a must own.

Superb black & white cinematography, that literally glows.  Harry J. Wild may not be a name at the tip of everyone's tongue, but his work is superb.  He shot additional scenes for both Citizen Kane, as well as The Magnificent Ambersons.  His CV is long, and worth checking out.

Blacks are rich and creamy, with superb shadow detail.  Grain is perfect.  Resolution wonderful.

A great cinema classic, that should be in every serious collection.

Kudos to Warner Archive for another superb release!

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5 - Beautiful

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Great stuff! Thinking about it, I've mostly seen this film in late night BBC 2 showings, the same old flat transfer of a so-so print, it didn't matter, the film cuts through all that. Really looking forward to seeing this.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Always a favorite with Moose and Velma as I'm looking forward to having my Blu-ray of it in about two weeks or so.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
RAH is not the only person who admires the work of Harry Wild. Jane Russell did too. So much so that when she went over to 20th Century Fox to make Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, she took Harry Wild with her. Jane always used to say that she wondered what Marilyn Monroe must have thought about co-starring with an actress from another studio who brings her own cinematographer with her!

I will of course be buying this Blu-ray disc.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I've had it ordered and now my anticipation is through the roof.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Robert Harris said:
Don't recall if I mentioned it, but especially in projection, Murder, My Sweet, looks very much like a nitrate 35mm print.

RAH
Such words=Must buy...... I can't wait until this disc is in my hands :banana: :banana: :rock:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Keith Cobby said:
Agree about Mitchum. I would place Dick Powell third after Bogie and Mitchum.

Dick Powell first for me. He's the closest to who I imagine when I read the books. Bogie is great as always, but more Sam Spade than Marlowe.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't know who I'd place first as Marlowe as it really seems to depend on whom I'm watching at the time .. they all seem to slip so naturally into the role.

I have a particular soft spot though for Dick Powell as it's such a transformation for him after being typecast as the juvenile musical character in '42nd Street' etc .. love that scene at the close of '42nd Street' where he's up close to the glorious blonde girl who just happened at the time to be Busby Berkeley's current squeeze!

Robert Mitchum had his own special gravitas in the role (just as he did years later in 'Dead Man') and as for Humphrey .. though he brought vestiges of Sam Spade with him, those weren't bad vestiges to be trailing around....

Squire

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
1. James Garner - Marlowe
2. Dick Powell -MMS
3. Bogart - TBS
4. Mitchum - FML
5. Robert Montgomery - The Lady in the Lake
6. Elliot Gould - The Long Goodbye
7. George Montgomery - The Brasher Dubloon

I have not seen Lloyd Nolan in A Time to Kill which was a Michael Shayne picture, but was (like Brasher) based on "The High Window". I have also never seen James Caan, Phillip Carey or Powers Booth on TV.

Not trying to start a debate, just my personal preferences.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd forgotten about James Garner, I'm not sure that I've seen it, funny, as The Little Sister was the first Marlowe book I read. I made a point of seeing The Lady In The Lake when it was on TV (in the days when TV used to show old films like that), the film is shot first person where the camera is the main character, as I remember, you only see Marlowe once, when he looks in a mirror. Very unusual, but probably the only interesting thing about this film (& it's my least favourite of the books). I've tried to like The Long Goodbye, but I just find Elliot Gould so annoying. I've never seen The Brasher Dubloon, The High Window is a big favourite (third after, The Big Sleep & Farewell My Lovely). I'm going to have to start reading them all again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks