What's new

Complete Apple Fall event discussion, Give us a hint, Siri (iPad Pro, new Apple TV, 6S) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No yep or nope yet, I advise caution on believing until then. I'm buying my niece an iPad mini 3 when announced, she is hoping Sep 9th is real :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
After 2 years of GS3 and 1 year of the Note 4 I'm probably going back to an Iphone.

The Note 4 has been buggy ever since a forced updated a few months ago.

I have the ATT next plan or whatever it's called that allows me to switch phones

every year if I want so I'll probably do it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm looking forward to Apple Pay. Maybe I can thin my wallet and move to a thinner class.

I'm trying to scheme a new iPad, but that's imprudent. Especially since I'm considering buying a $30k iPhone case this Fall.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
My iPhone 6 has been so perfect and flawless for me, I have absolutely zero interest in the new iPhones this year. In fact, I've kind of lost my fanboy attraction for Apple's products in general. I think they are finally becoming appliances for me.

About the only thing that might get me to buy a new Apple product this year is a new Apple TV that offers a lot more than what can be done on the current Apple TV. Other than that, I'm feeling pretty meh on Apple right now.

Mark

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mark Booth said:
My iPhone 6 has been so perfect and flawless for me, I have absolutely zero interest in the new iPhones this year. In fact, I've kind of lost my fanboy attraction for Apple's products in general. I think they are finally becoming appliances for me.

Mark
Technology is the stuff that doesn't work; everything else is furniture. :)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
After giving my iPhone 4 in trade to my mom a couple years ago cause she couldn't use her nexus 5 (she was forced to get off cdma for her pay as you go plan and this was the cheapest option. I've been forced to use a samsung s4 for work so the nexus 5 was a pleasure. I much prefer naked android to manufacturer bloaty skins, but I'm really looking foreard to the next iPhone.

Question to all: does apple make everything bigger to accommodate the bigger screens? Or just put more on the screen or give more white space? I'd prefer to have stuff bigger.

I'm also very likely to be an iMac 5k when those new ones come out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
McPaul said:
After giving my iPhone 4 in trade to my mom a couple years ago cause she couldn't use her nexus 5 (she was forced to get off cdma for her pay as you go plan and this was the cheapest option. I've been forced to use a samsung s4 for work so the nexus 5 was a pleasure. I much prefer naked android to manufacturer bloaty skins, but I'm really looking foreard to the next iPhone.
Question to all: does apple make everything bigger to accommodate the bigger screens? Or just put more on the screen or give more white space? I'd prefer to have stuff bigger.
I'm also very likely to be an iMac 5k when those new ones come out.
Your choice. On iPhones, you can use standard resolution, and have more icons on screen. Or run a zoom view mode that increases the size of text and icons about 25%.
https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/display/

With the retina iMacs, you can adjust the display resolution to increase or decrease the size of icons and text (trading off screen space).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What are the current rumors about the next iPhones?

The next Samsung phones are already in store to peruse I need to compare.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mark Booth said:

I'm kinda with you on that. I have an iPhone 5 (which replaced an iPhone 3GS), and I'm still happy with it. It works fine, does everything I need it to do, has enough internal storage for everything I want to keep on there, and enough battery life to make it through the day. My girlfriend has the iPhone 6 and when I've played around with it, it doesn't really seem any faster or better for the things I use on it (with the exception of the camera which is noticibly better, but I don't take a ton of pictures so not a huge deal for me). And I'm still using my MacBook Pro from 2009, which is just starting to show its age, but I find I'm use a computer at home far less than I did five or ten years ago, so that's not really a big issue for me either.

I don't think I ever had tons of upgrade fever in the first place, but at this point it's practically nonexistent for me. Apple markets these things kinda like high fashion, where it seems like they expect people to go out and replace everything they have every year or two regardless of whether or not there's a need to. I just don't have the need or the desire. Whenever the new phone is announced, I'll read about it when they make the announcement and see the new specs and think "oh, that's cool" and then forget about it. I'm not planning on getting a new phone until my old one stops working. As long as I can get calls, send text messages, and read the newspaper and HTF while I'm riding on the train, I'm happy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Until recently you were wasting money if you didn't upgrade every two years (thanks to hidden subsidies in a two-year contract). This is changing as carriers are getting rid of contracts. I'm at the end of my current contract this fall and look forward to upgrading tfrom my 5s to a presumed 6s, substantially for Apple Pay. The improved camera will be good too, since my iPhone is my camera.

But two years from now? I'll probably upgrade anyway. I enjoy these devices and look forward to each year's improvements. I won't upgrade every year, but every two years is ok.

I make up for it by upgrading cars only every decade. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TonyD said:
What are the current rumors about the next iPhones?
The next Samsung phones are already in store to peruse I need to compare.
The main rumor is the inclusion of Force Touch in the screen. But I've also read a rumor saying that's a year off.

There are mixed speculations about whether there will be a new 4" phone (a la the 5/5s)

And I've read it might have a 12 MP camera, up from 8MP. And 4k video.

Presumedly it will be the same body as the 6 / 6p.

That's all I've read. But I don't follow the rumors too closely; I enjoy the surprise of the announcement.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Verge asks an interesting question:

Here's a weird thought experiment I've been noodling on for the past couple of weeks. When Apple announces the next iPhone next month, what are the prices that it's going to flash on screen?

Since last September, we've experienced a kind of revolution in wireless plans here in the US. Following T-Mobile, the big carriers have essentially jettisoned contracts and contract pricing for most of their new customers (though you can find them if you know where to look). So Apple probably can't put up that traditional $199 on-contract starting price up on the big screen. Instead, it may have to put up the full price, or maybe the cost of the full price divided by 24. Or maybe something else entirely.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/17/9166557/how-to-buy-an-iphone-in-america

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
DaveF said:
The main rumor is the inclusion of Force Touch in the screen. But I've also read a rumor saying that's a year off.

There are mixed speculations about whether there will be a new 4" phone (a la the 5/5s)

And I've read it might have a 12 MP camera, up from 8MP. And 4k video.

Presumedly it will be the same body as the 6 / 6p.

That's all I've read. But I don't follow the rumors too closely; I enjoy the surprise of the announcement.

What? Iphone doesnt have 4k video recording?

I don't care about that force touch business.

Now that the Samsung Note and GS6+ don't have external micro cards or removable battery

plus the issues I'm having with the note 4 I'm getting closer to switching back to iPhone.

But the camera on Notes have 16 mp and include 4k video.

Note has the interactive pen.

The Samsung and Iphone have become very similar this year.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Pic

Attachments

• 1439865949436.jpg
    1439865949436.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks