What's new

Ingrid Bergman's 100 Birthday today....no Blu Rays (1 Viewer)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Today, August 29th is Ingrid's Bergman's 100 birthday.

In New York there will be 2 major film retrospectives with her children Isabella and Pia introducing many of the films.. MOMA and BAM..

Not one commemorative blu ray is being released in honor of her. 3 time Oscar winner.

It's Sinatra's 100th too...one Oscar for supporting actor.....Many of his films have released this year on Blu to commemorate his 100th.

Where's ANASTASIA?

Why no love for Ingrid ?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken Koc said:
Today, August 29th is Ingrid's Bergman's 100 birthday.

In New York there will be 2 major film retrospectives with her children Isabella and Pia introducing many of the films.. MOMA and BAM..

Not one commemorative blu ray is being released in honor of her. 3 time Oscar winner.

It's Sinatra's 100th too...one Oscar for supporting actor.....Many of his films have released this year on Blu to commemorate his 100th.

Where's ANASTASIA?

Why no love for Ingrid ?
To compare Ingrid to Sinatra isn't fair, at least not in this country. Sinatra is an American Icon! There is a large American fanbase similar to John Wayne that will buy Sinatra's films, while I'm not so sure the same can be said about many of Bergman's films. I agree that more of her films should be released on Blu-ray, but we have other stars including some American ones like Tracy, Gable and Hepburn that don't have many of their best films on Blu-ray.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I love Sinatra but there are no Centennial retrospectives this year at MOMA or BAM for Sinatra. He was an entertainer and singer. I guess that trumps great performances and acting career on film. Even the American Cinematheque in Los Angeles is having a retrospective of Bergman in September.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken Koc said:
I love Sinatra but there are no Centennial retrospectives this year at MOMA or BAM for Sinatra. He was an entertainer and singer. I guess that trumps great performances and acting career on film. Even the American Cinematheque in Los Angeles is having a retrospective of Bergman in September.
Ken,

Do you understand what I'm talking about in regard to the Sinatra fanbase buying his films on Blu-ray?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Yes Robert in that respect, Sinatra will sell much better than Bergman. I bought all of his films released this year. For Fox or Twilight Time to release ANASTASIA ( it has been restored) would have been a very fitting tribute.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken Koc said:
Yes Robert in that respect, Sinatra will sell much better than Bergman. I bought all of his films released this year. For Fox or Twilight Time to release ANASTASIA ( it has been restored) would have been a very fitting tribute.
Perhaps, Twilight Time releases it next year for its 60th Anniversary. I'm looking forward to that wrong color discussion.:)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I watched From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs' Basil E. Frankweiler Yesterday from TCM HD.

Unusual little movie that I saw when I was about 10 in the middle 70's.
I remembered being a little more than what I saw yesterday. was a little dull.

Anyway she was in the second half of the movie and it looked pretty decent

seems like a forgotten movie.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Ken Koc said:
Blu-ray discs are not released as a tribute to anyone. They are released to make moneyI Very occasionally, a "boutique" label will release a disc with no expectations of a commercial return merely because they love the film, but that doesn't happen very often.

By the way, Ingrid Bergman is doing quite well on Blu-ray; far better than 1940s contemporaries like Betty Grable, Rita Hayworth, Lana Turner and Esther Williams.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean
seangood79 said:
I am a little surprised Warner Bros. didn't use this as excuse for yet another reissue of Casablanca.

I think Warner likes to wait for the anniversaries that are multiples of 5 for their reissues, so check back in 2017. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks