What's new

Pitfall (1948) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

134609_front-1.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
This is considered one of the great Noirs of the late 1940's, and also one of the best films of a somewhat neglected director, Andre De Toth, who today is mostly known for directing HOUSE OF WAX in 3D with one eye. (He comes from an meritocracy of one eyed, visceral yet visually poetic directors, that include John Ford, Raoul Walsh & Fritz Lang) Anyway, I first saw this film in the early 90's at one of Eddie Muller's first Noir City festivals, at the Castro in San Francisco. What I found particularly compelling about this film are the performances, which are very nuanced and so detailed it's difficult not to sympathize with characters who are generally involved in non-sympathetic activities, especially Raymond Burr, as a sleazy detective whose main source of income appears to be blackmail. I don't recall this film being as visually dark as a typical Noir of the period. What I remember are scenes taking place in the bright California sunshine, which through the film's viewpoint into human nature, is transformed into a perennial 4 O'clock in the morning ambiance.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
If for some inexplicable reason I was at all iffy about this purchase, the Eddie Muller commentary alone would have pushed me over the top.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I first saw this film at the late Tales Book Shop on La Brea in LA back in the 1990s. It's the film that introduced me to Lizabeth Scott and remains one of my favorites of hers. It's an instant purchase for me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Same here, instant purchase for me. Another title that never got released on DVD, at least in Region 1.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Same here, instant purchase for me. Another title that never got released on DVD, at least in Region 1.

I have this on DVD and I'm sure it's Region 1. I seem to recall there are two DVDs. Mine is of very poor quality so I'm delighted to be able to upgrade.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robin9 said:
I have this on DVD and I'm sure it's Region 1. I seem to recall there are two DVDs. Mine is of very poor quality so I'm delighted to be able to upgrade.
It's a Film Chest release which is the same as not being released at all.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Heads up, Amazon is now selling this title for $15.99 Matter of fact, all of Kino's releases in November are $15.99 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks