What's new

Blade Runner & Legend DVD Updates (1 Viewer)

Brian Lloyd

Auditioning
Interesting comments from an interview with Ridley Scott in the latest UK issue of Empire magazine.
On Blade Runner's DVD re-release: " We're doing a new print & a new mix....going back to the original negative & elements and are digitally remixing...Skywalker want to mix it"
On Legend: "I'm redoing the whole thing for a new version...I'm trying to find another half hour to fit back in..a good kid's film, although I think the demon may have been too much".
Apologies if this is old news, but may give pause to anyone thinking of buying Blade Runner or pre-ordering Legend.
Ps the website for Empire can be found at www.empireonline.co.uk
Regards to all
www.empireonline.co.uk

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I have it on excellent authority that the discs for Legend are in Universal's hands as we speak. Adding back in that half hour is what took a year

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
so, if the master is done and the discs are pressed, why are they waiting- are they trying to...torture us...?

Maybe, since it is a love story, waiting for the week of Feb 14 to release it....

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Well, now that the outside-of-the-US-release rights have expired for Columbia (or does expire this month - whichever is right), Universal can now release it everywhere themselves. They are probably trying to find a good time to fit in a release date.
Maybe they are haggling with Scott, trying to convice him to let them release a separate "Full-Screen" version too - maybe even a separate DD only and DTS only release as well... :D
It's the old Coke/Pepsi marketing ploy. Fill the shelves up with as many variations of the same product as you possibly can.
Joel

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll take Legend Classic please. :)
I hope they aren't dreaming up some funky bastardisation for packaging. A nice, standard double (or triple) Amaray or Alpha would be my preference. Just release the damn thing!

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Does Universal have that much history of novelty packaging though? The only examples that pop into my mind is the grinch interactive playset and the big box Jurrassic park set.

Also, considering Universal have released other classics and catalog releases, I always found it hard to believe that the overseas distribution deal was what held up this release. I have no doubt it has many fans though, just not that much more potential than a lot of other Universal catalog titles. For BTTF, I could believe it, but for Legend, adding in that half hour sounds more plausible to me.

Speaking of Universal overseas, does anybady have a idea what will happen with the current Universal DVD's? Will all the Columbia distributed titles be discontinued then rereleased with new covers, or will they keep the current covers. The covers themselves are not that big a deal to me in this case, but I have to wonder how long time it would take to replace the covers on the current releases, and whether any titles will be unavailable during such a process, or possibly dissappear from the market altogether.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Universal's Ultimate Editions have been in a funky see through case (ie Meet Joe Black, etc).

Corrected brain fart. Men in Black, Meet Joe Black...whatever..:b

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
To avoid the usual Internet misinterpretations, Ridley is clearly describing what has been done with regards to Legend.
Either that, or the interview took place a long time ago, because the half hour was found many months ago.

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Now last I heard it got delayed till august or something for certain reasons. Well summer came and went and I really forgot all about it but now im wondering whats going on with this DVD? I figure its been delayed yet again so im wondering whats the deal now and perhaps someone knows when its coming out for sure.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think it's caught up in "DVD Production Hell" or something. :)
Seriously, everyone was saying it would be 2001, then the whole thing came to light about Universal's overseas license to Columbia was up at the end of 2001 (that deal prevented Uni from making a dime on foreign sales of their DVDs). So then Legend was gonna be 2002, and many still say that.
But recently, I forget where (maybe here on HTF), a list was leaked of all the supposed Uni titles coming out this year. I take that list with a grain of salt (BTTF was on it, and that might be true - I *hope* it is - but I'll only believe that once I hold it in my own two hands!). Legend was not on the list.
If you use HTF's search function, you might find some old threads about some of the stuff I just wrote. It's only a minor "want" for me, so I'm not keeping up with it as much as some others are.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Regarding Blade Runner, I believe that the current plan is that the DVD will be in production through at least March. If I were betting I'd go with a Q4 release.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Further to my post above, R2 Project has now confirmed that the imminent UK release of "Legend" is NOT the 2-disc Special Edition:
http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?se...articleId=3324
It's sadly typical of a UK distributor to release a basic edition of a movie in the full knowledge that a remastered and/or special edition is already in preparation. The same thing has already happened with UK editions of Citizen Kane, Leon, Princess Bride, O Brother Where Art Thou, Evolution and many, many other titles.

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
Well,at least the R2 version of LEGEND will tide some of us over until the Universal one comes out.

Interestingly there's no mention in the info of what cut Fox is releasing.Both versions have played on UK TV but I take it the Goldsmith scored version,which is on video,will be the one.Yeah!!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Bits has word that Ridley Scott has recently said in a radio interview that Blade Runner will be a 3 DVD set. I'm hoping this equates to a multiple version presentation with the original overdubbed version, his new cut and something else. The "director's cut" is already available, so I'm not sure I need that one again. Bring it on!

As for Legend...*sigh*

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
With this epic wait, I am hopeful the new Blade Runner SE is going to itself be epic. I can hardly wait.

And to support Jeff's cause, I am looking forward to picking up Legend as well.

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I can't wait for the Blade Runner SE. With three discs you'd figure there would be both versions of the film a la Brazil but we'll have to wait and see.

Patrick

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I am greatly looking forward to both these releases. As far as Blade Runner goes, if they're doing it right, they can take all the time they need. With Legend...well, I'm sure they have their reasons. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but doesn't Fox own Legend in Europe? If so, I don't see why the Universal/Columbia business would matter. I may be wrong, though.

At any rate, should be good when they come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks