What's new

Complete "Bewitched" & "Jeannie" coming from Mill Creek, October. (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron

Attachments

• Bewitched_Complete_MillCreek.jpg
    Bewitched_Complete_MillCreek.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 119
  • IDreamOfJeannie_Complete_MillCreek.jpg
    IDreamOfJeannie_Complete_MillCreek.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 184

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The quality on the individual season sets I have isn't too bad.

I'm not "feeling" the artwork on the 'Jeannie' set - the colours are a bit too warm and it's not the most flattering one of the two leads.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
classicmovieguy said:
The quality on the individual season sets I have isn't too bad.

I'm not "feeling" the artwork on the 'Jeannie' set - the colours are a bit too warm and it's not the most flattering one of the two leads.
Hi Byron!

I'm thinking you should likely stick with the season sets.

A couple of Christmases back, I bought my wife the BEWITCHED complete series spindle set, complete with the first two seasons colorized. In my opinion, it's a pity Mill Creek didn't see fit to at least stick with their originally intended Disc counts for both series sets, as I anticipate a lot of artifacting in these! At least, with colorized episodes, while it isn't a perfect solution, there is usually the option of turning down the color. Not so with artifacting! :rolleyes:

Ah well!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Byron!

I'm thinking you should likely stick with the season sets.

A couple of Christmases back, I bought my wife the BEWITCHED complete series spindle set, complete with the first two seasons colorized. In my opinion, it's a pity Mill Creek didn't see fit to at least stick with their originally intended Disc counts for both series sets, as I anticipate a lot of artifacting in these! At least, with colorized episodes, while it isn't a perfect solution, there is usually the option of turning down the color. Not so with artifacting! :rolleyes:

Ah well!

CHEERS! :)

Tony
I wish also that Mill Creek had kept the disc counts that they were going to. I think that the artifacting could be the result of Mill Creek's putting so many episodes on each disc. It baffles me why Mill Creek makes their releases like that-- fewer discs, and more episodes on each disc.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It shouldn't confuse you really, since it's all about the cost. The lower the disc count, the lower it costs to manufacture these.

That means they can drop the list price while maintaining their profit margin, furthering their goal of getting the last few DVD sales possible out of these two programs from individuals that didn't bite in earlier years at higher price points.

It also helps the double dippers. While they might be afraid of these being overly compressed (Although I've had good luck with Mill Creeks releases with a similar amount of content per disc), some diehard fans surely will be buying these just the same because they're claiming that they're presented as originally broadcasted.

The lower the price, the greater the chance of such folks investing in these despite already owning the early season sets.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
LeoA said:
It shouldn't confuse you really, since it's all about the cost. The lower the disc count, the lower it costs to manufacture these.

That means they can drop the list price while maintaining their profit margin, furthering their goal of getting the last few DVD sales possible out of this program from individuals that didn't bite in earlier years at higher price points.

It also helps the double dippers. While they might be afraid of these being overly compressed (Although I've had good luck with Mill Creeks releases with a similar amount of content per disc), some diehard fans surely will be buying these just the same because they're claiming they're presented as originally broadcasted.

The lower the price, the greater the chance of such folks investing in these despite already owning the early season sets.
That explains it very well!

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
The Jeannie pic is kind of an odd choice since there are so many others with Hagman in his Major Nelson uniform that would have been more flattering and more appropriate. I think it's kind of misleading for Mill Creek to advertise "original broadcast versions". To me, that would mean the original opening themes which were replaced in syndication decades ago. I really doubt they've gone back and reinstated those.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Kasey said:
The Jeannie pic is kind of an odd choice since there are so many others with Hagman in his Major Nelson uniform that would have been more flattering and more appropriate. I think it's kind of misleading for Mill Creek to advertise "original broadcast versions". To me, that would mean the original opening themes which were replaced in syndication decades ago. I really doubt they've gone back and reinstated those.

I was thinking the same thing. If I thought for a moment that these contained the sponsor specific openings etc I would buy it in a flash.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Kasey said:

KPmusmag said:
I was thinking the same thing. If I thought for a moment that these contained the sponsor specific openings etc I would buy it in a flash.

I agree. Would buy it in a second. But I'm confident it simply refers to the first (and second, in the case of Bewitched) seasons being in black & white.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Although didn't Mill Creek restore a few of the little things missing from the Sony sets? I seem to recall a few members here getting rather excited talking about them.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
classicmovieguy said:
Although didn't Mill Creek restore a few of the little things missing from the Sony sets? I seem to recall a few members here getting rather excited talking about them.
These were the "fixes" on Mill Creek's S3 set as posted by David:

Well, I'm pleased to announce that MillCreek came through in a pinch and has restored the "Part 2 Next Week" words over Samantha's worried face at the end of S.3's "My Friend Ben". They have also restored the episode recap at the beginning of "Samantha for the Defense." Unfortunately the ball of light when the tankard pops in is still missing but that's not too bothersome.

Paul Joseph Wyatt

Auditioning
One interesting aspect of the press release for the Jeannie set is the following wording:

"Enjoy all 139 episodes in their original broadcast presentation including the first season in black & white"

This would imply that all episodes were in their original presentation and that was in addition to the first season not being colourised, Maybe, just maybe we finally get the originally openings? Surely to rival the 2009 (now discounted set) from Sony this would be a smart marketing move to encourage "double dipping" for those who've bought the Sony set?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'd like to get these, but I'll wait until Shout Factory gets both series. The Bewitched cover is nice, but why they choose Sam from season 6 though? Good to see Aunt Clara on the cover along with Uncle Arthur as well. Jeanie's artwork I agree with everyone else, way better photos of them to choose from, they should also include Roger and Doctor Bellows too.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
What would Shout Factory ever want them for?

Most of the possible sales that are here have already happened. Mill Creek is just wringing out the last few that have been left on the table with this final round of budget releases.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
LeoA said:
What would Shout Factory ever want them for?

Most of the possible sales that are here have already happened. Mill Creek is just wringing out the last few that have been left on the table with this final round of budget releases.

Shout would give both of these series the full treatment they deserve. Mill Creek doesn't do features or remasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks