What's new

'American Ultra' Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
In short:

From Universal Soldier to Captain America: The First Avenger, the US government has a long history of trying to create super soldiers. But what if they tried turning a pot-smoking slacker into a one-man army? Well that's exactly what happens to Jesse Eisenberg in American Ultra. As a hapless loser named Mike Howell, Eisenberg plays an anxiety-prone stoner with no recollection of his time spent in the top-secret Ultra program. But when he finds himself the target of a CIA death squad, he must rely on his elite training to defend both himself and his girlfriend, Phoebe (Kristen Stewart). Naturally, bloodshed and mayhem ensues, but what's surprising is how much screen time this genre-warping film devotes to fleshing out Mike and Phoebe's relationship. Even with the rest of the supporting cast mostly chewing the scenery, there's a genuine weight to Eisenberg and Stewart's performances. And that makes American Ultra more than just your run-of-the-mill stoner action-comedy. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to be baked to enjoy it.

Click here to read my full review.

Film rating: 4 out of 5

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to read your enthusiastic review. It's one of my most anticipated films of 2015, and so I was disappointed to see it sitting at only 46 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw this the other night and thought it was good for what it was - it's only about 90 minutes, filled with some good b-movie fun, doesn't try to do too much or be about too much, and doesn't overstay it's welcome. I didn't find it to be particularly memorable, but it was a fun night of the movies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought this disc at Target today and immediately viewed it. Loved it! I was nervous with this blind buy, but I like Eisenberg. However, I was never a big fan of Kristen Stewart, but this film has changed my opinion of her. A great spoof of the Bourne-like films with plenty of humor and over-the-top violence.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Stewart was also so good in Clouds of Sils Maria that the French gave her a Cesar for Best Supporting Actress, an honor never bestowed before to a non-French actress. Room for thought. On the other hand, the French also love Jerry Lewis...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks