What's new

Will This Work? (1 Viewer)

DynoDon

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
I just bought a pair of Infinity Primus 363 speakers at Fry's for $99 each. I was using a 20 year old pair of Pioneer CS-G403 with a 15 inch woofer. The Infinitys actually pressurize the small room better and are much clearer. The drums on Brubeck's Take Five sound like a drum-not just boom boom. If you don't have a large room, I doubt if you can beat these when Fry's has them on sale.

I've decided not to use an Oppo 105 as a preamp. I'm thinking about hooking it into a Outlaw 2150 receiver. I only need 2.1 and the Oppo will downmix the 5.1 to stereo. The radio, tone controls and phono section are an advantage over the Oppo as preamp. The Outlaw should power the Infinitys well in a small room. This option offers more flexibility than using the Oppo into a power amp directly.

Am I missing anything?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
What you're missing is you're using $2000 worth of electronics whith a $200 pair of speakers :) . BTW, now that I think about it, I'm using the equivalent of $1700 worth of electronics with a $169 pair of speakers so... :blush: .

No reason you can't hook the stereo analog outputs to the CD input on the Outlaw and then the L/R Multi-Channel analog outputs to the L/R Multi-Channel inputs on th Outlaw. Using the M/C in's and out's the Outlaw will act just like a stand-alone amplifier (with a volume control).

I like the idea of digital inputs on the Oppo so you can take advantage of those Sabre DACS.

DynoDon

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris
Actually the speakers list for $748/pr on the Infinity website. I am cuurently using a 10 year old Sherwood that is far from high current or great for 4 ohm loads. I am also using a cheap Sony dvd player. I expect better things out of the Outlaw and Oppo.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The 363's have selling for $200-$250 a pair for about three years or so now. Those, along with the Pioneer Andrew Jones models and maybe the Polk Monitor series have been excellent values for quite a while now.

I'd make every effort to take advantage of the Sabre Dacs in the OPPO by using the digital inputs if you can. They're a big reason for the price difference from the $500 103.

BTW, if your handy with a spanner there are some diy mods that can be made to the 363's, and other Primus models, explained on the internet that reportedly make a real difference. Things like cabinet stiffening, soldering possibly loose connections and additional acoustic stuffing. Do a quick search :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks