What's new

HDMI AND 4K (1 Viewer)

Jared Reich

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought a 4K TV. The Vizio M65-C1. I have an older blu ray player and a ps4. Will I need to buy new HDMI 2.0 cables for both of these devices to take advantage of the picture upgrades or will it not matter until 4K players come out?

Please let me know what I should do.

I asked this in another topic as well. Hoping for a quick response.

Thanks!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really haven't kept up on this. HDMI 1.3 is all I need at this point so hopefully I'm not giving out wrong information.

I believe there are still just 5 hdmi cables.

Standard.

Standard with Ethernet.

High Speed.

High Speed with Ethernet.

Automotive.

There's no such thing as an HDMI 1.3 cable or 1.4b or 1.anything. It's all marketing.

An HDMI High Speed should pass 4K :blink: and 3D :3dglasses: .

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Again, I hope what I've posted is at least partially true! :)

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
gene c said:
I really haven't kept up on this. HDMI 1.3 is all I need at this point so hopefully I'm not giving out wrong information.

I believe there are still just 5 hdmi cables.

Standard.

Standard with Ethernet.

High Speed.

High Speed with Ethernet.

Automotive.

There's no such thing as an HDMI 1.3 cable or 1.4b or 1.anything. It's all marketing.

An HDMI High Speed should pass 4K :blink: and 3D :3dglasses: .

http://www.hdmi.org/consumer/buying_guide.aspx

Again, I hope what I've posted is at least partially true! :)

Gene, back in Sept. 2007, when I bought my first HDTV, a 73 inch Mitsubishi Diamond Series DLP TV, HDMI 1.3 was a VERY REAL HDMI protocol. Many articles in Sound & Vision, WIDESCREEN REVIEW, and Home Theater, at that time, strongly cautioned that the new DTS HD Master Audio bit streams needed HDMI 1.3 cables to pass them from Blu-ray or HD-DVD players to compatible AVRs. That was true, and people who used HDMI 1.2 cables, or even earlier versions of HDMI, would find that their new Home Theater AVRs that were enabled to handle DTS HD Master Audio, would definitely not have their indicators light up to signal the reception of DTS HD Master Audio bit streams. But as soon as folks like me switched to the newly introduced HDMI 1.3 certified cables, to connect their players to any of the few AVR models in 2007 that could handle the DTS HD Master Audio format, suddenly their problems in trying to access the new sound format were solved.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The point I was trying to make is don't think there is such a thing as a 1.3 cable, or a 2.o cable. Only a Standard Speed cable and a High Speed cable. If the OP already has a High Speed cable, which he likely does, then he doesn't need to purchase a new cable just because it's labled/marketed as 2.0.

You probably went from a Standard Speed to a High Speed, not a 1.2 to a 1.3 cable. Again, that was just marketing. Just like cables that were labled as 120 HZ. No such thing. The 1.3 Protocal (in the devices) was different, not the cables.

Directly from the HDMI.ORG website...

"HDMI 2.0 does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (Category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth."

Mike Boone

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Michael
gene c said:
The point I was trying to make is don't think there is such a thing as a 1.3 cable, or a 2.o cable. Only a Standard Speed cable and a High Speed cable. If the OP already has a High Speed cable, which he likely does, then he doesn't need to purchase a new cable just because it's labled/marketed as 2.0.

You probably went from a Standard Speed to a High Speed, not a 1.2 to a 1.3 cable. Again, that was just marketing. Just like cables that were labled as 120 HZ. No such thing. The 1.3 Protocal (in the devices) was different, not the cables.

Directly from the HDMI.ORG website...

"HDMI 2.0 does not define new cables or new connectors. Current High Speed cables (Category 2 cables) are capable of carrying the increased bandwidth."

Gene, I think that you hit the nail on the head. The cables I ended up using were promoted as being compatible with the HDMI 1.3 protocol that was one of the capabilities of the 7.1 Channel Integra Model DTR-7.8 AVR that I bought in 2007. That unit was one of the early receivers to include HDMI switching. I was wrong in remembering the cables as being HDMI 1.3 cables, as they were just cables of a higher speed, as you indicated.

BTW, in just looking up the info on my old Integra, I see that the DTR-7.8 was listed as having HDMI inputs and an output that were defined as being version 1.3a which was the latest version of HDMI at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks