What's new

How to get more audio outputs on Samsung receiver (1 Viewer)

Johanna Wheeler Athas

Auditioning
Real Name
Jo
Hi everyone,

We just got a new Samsung HT-j5500w/za smart Blu-Ray home theater system. We haven't set it up yet (will do so after our house is finished being remodeled), but we noticed that it only has one HDMI audio output, which we will obviously connect our DirecTV receiver to. However, we would also like to have our two game consoles connected to the surround sound if at all possible, at the very least one of them. Is there some sort of HDMI audio hub that we can buy to connect to the Samsung theater to give us more ports for more devices, or are we pretty much just stuck with the one port? It's not a huge problem for us if that is the case, but we were just kind of hoping to be able to hook more than one device up to the surround sound. Any advice is appreciated!

Johanna Wheeler Athas

Auditioning
Real Name
Jo
schan1269 said:
You don't connect anything HDMI to that HTiB, other than a television.
And this would allow us to have surround sound from our DirecTV? That is what we have now with our older Samsung home theater system that this will be replacing. I'm not too sure how this one is hooked up since it was done a long time ago and has never been moved. I'd have to get behind our entertainment center to look, which I really don't feel like doing right now! All I know is that when our current Samsung receiver is set to aux mode, we get surround sound from our satellite TV service.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That is exactly how this one will work.

It only has 1 optical input. You need more than 1, buy an optical switch($10 on Amazon).

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
... but we noticed that it only has one HDMI audio output, which we will obviously connect our DirecTV receiver to.

I highly recommend a real receiver instead of the Samsung HTIB - but you don't connect the DirectTV to the receiver's HDMI output, you connect it to an input. And if you want to also connect other devices, you'll need a receiver (or HTIB) with multiple HDMI inputs.

(I checked and your Samsung doesn't have any HDMI inputs either, just an optical input; which is usually used to conenct the TV to get sound from any TV apps or an antenna run directly to the TV.)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Al.Anderson said:
I highly recommend a real receiver instead of the Samsung HTIB - but you don't connect the DirectTV to the receiver's HDMI output, you connect it to an input. And if you want to also connect other devices, you'll need a receiver (or HTIB) with multiple HDMI inputs.

(I checked and your Samsung doesn't have any HDMI inputs either, just an optical input; which is usually used to conenct the TV to get sound from any TV apps or an antenna run directly to the TV.)
I agree. The workaround that's been suggested will be a nightmare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks