What's new

Monty Python and the Holy Grail 40th Anniversary Castle Box Set (Blu-ray) coming in Octobe (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

feQLdOF.jpg

Now Available for Preorder

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Pity it isn't Castle Anthrax, because can you imagine the fun having a box with that word on it shipped anywhere at all, really? c/o Zoot, of course.

If questioned about it, you could always fall back on, "No, I am Zoot's identical twin sister, Dingo." That will go over big in the precinct as you're being booked.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
A box of band-aids to deal with those nasty scratches and flesh wounds?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
If questioned about it, you could always fall back on, "No, I am Zoot's identical twin sister, Dingo." That will go over big in the precinct as you're being booked.

Perhaps not as well as if you skipped ahead a a bit and said, "and after the spanking, the oral sex."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to tell you guys...

I have been enjoying a few good laughs reading these replies.

It just reminds me how "brilliant" this film is, and how it hasn't lost its impact 40 years later.

It is something that I throw into my Blu-ray player and watch every year or two religiously.

I don't think, personally, it's worth repurchasing at this point. No new transfer. However, I do think that the appeal of the packaging will make a great Christmas gift for anyone that doesn't already own this classic.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I finally watched this film based on the overwhelmingly positive things that were said about it. Guess I don't get what all of the praise was for, since it has all of three funny parts in the whole film. But then I was never a big fan of Monty Python's brand of "humour". My dad seemed to see a lot in it though in regards to the TV series.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Years ago, a co-worker had a small party at his house. His parents had come up from Georgia. Someone quoted a line of dialog from the "Holy Grail" movie and started everyone laughing. Everyone, that is, but our co-worker's parents. And of course we were speaking in an highly abbreviated comedy shorthand, where simply saying, "Bloody peasants!" was enough to invoke memories of whole scenes that some people in the room were not privvy to. Then we said how great the movie was and that everyone should see it and...

Well, we decided to settle the matter and put on the DVD.

And there we were, all laughing uproariously at every tiny thing, quoting dialog before it happened, acting out with silly, outrageous accents—you name it. Even quick, throwaway asides such as "Very small rocks!" had us in pieces. Even though some of us had heard the exact same joke, told in the exact same manner and under identical story circumstances, since 1973.

So I look over at this guy's parents and they are just sitting there, false smiles painted upon their quizzical faces.

Finally, his mom said, "How do we know this is funny?"

We had to settle our beer glasses and put the movie on pause so we could attempt to "explain" it to her. And of course we couldn't: "You had to be there, I suppose. Oh, you are here. Anyway..." Eventually that simple question turned us all inside-out, because we're all computer geeks and the next logical question for us became, "Well... how do we know this isn't funny?"

But her question became part of the Python canon for us. Ten years later, that phrase still pops up. Even the Python's jokes have children.

I guess you either get it, or... winter gives spring and summer a miss and goes straight on into autumn.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Edwin-S said:
I finally watched this film based on the overwhelmingly positive things that were said about it. Guess I don't get what all of the praise was for, since it has all of three funny parts in the whole film. But then I was never a big fan of Monty Python's brand of "humour". My dad seemed to see a lot in it though in regards to the TV series.
I can dig that. Watched MP in the UK when it was new on TV, we (temporarily transplanted Canadians) thought it was hilarious. Same with this movie, it was common for us teenagers to go see it in a theater (in Canada), with and without "stimulants" etc. Saw it a lot back then, have bought it on DVD 2-3 times and BD once (just because...).

I don't think this movie stands up that well now, time hasn't been kind. It sure ain't no Life of Brian. However, I can see some people getting into it in a nostalgic way, but not me. The times were great, but not everything in it was that great. In retrospect, that is. It's OK to move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks