What's new

Is My Pioneer PDP-5070HD Fried? (1 Viewer)

BluHT

Agent
Real Name
D Manning
So, I returned home this evening to find my Pioneer PDP-5070HD fifty-inch plasma display, which I've owned since January of 2007, mysteriously turned on. It was displaying a blank screen and hearing static. It was definitely off when I left for work this morning.

Just to make sure it was okay, I tuned it to a cable channel. Within fewer than five minutes, the TV went blank, clicking itself into standby mode for a few seconds, then clicked back on. It kept doing that erratically for a while. I unplugged it and all the other components my home theater system, then plugged everything back in and tried the TV again, but the problem persists whether it is tuned to any channel or receiver source and even even when it's not tuned to anything. It keeps flipping between being powered fully on (with a picture) and being in standby mode (blank screen).

Has anyone heard of anything like this occurring before? What could have caused this? Some odd power surge? (I've had the unit for over eight years and nothing like that ever happened. All my other HT components (receiver, PlayStation, blu-ray player, speakers, etc. seem to be okay.) What, if anything, can I do to fix this issue? Or is my only option to replace the display?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

What a shame. That’s an excellent TV, I have one myself, and another 50” Pioneer plasma in my bedroom. I’ve yet to see the LCD or LED TV that could compare to these beauties. I hope they’ll last me until OLED becomes an economical option.

Personally I’d look into getting it repaired, unless the cost is just too much or if you’re lusting for a newfangled smart TV (and you can live with the reduced picture quality). From what I see in Sound and Vision’s reviews, it’s going to cost more than $5000 to get anything current that comes close to the Pioneer’s picture quality. So looking at it from that perspective, even if the repair cost something ridiculous like $2000, you’d still be ahead.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Sounds like a lost cause. Try and find a penny vt or zt series plasma from last year perhaps. They were very close in picture to the Kuros. I think Ron bought one too last year.

I've got a 5020 that's still ticking fortunately but that's what I'd do if it croaked tomorrow.

Otherwise oiled.

Users who are viewing this thread