What's new

Questions Shout! Factory Answers On Facebook About Stalled Holy Grail Shows (1 Viewer)

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
I recently went on Shout! Factory's Facebook Page to ask them a couple of questions on some stalled "Holy Grail" Shows being released on DVD. I specifically asked about "One Day At A Time" and "The Drew Carey Show". But I did see someone else asked about the Cloris Leachman sitcom "Phyllis" and I tagged onto the question and asked about the 5th Season of "Rhoda". Like it or not, here was Shout! Factory's answers:

QUESTION to Shout! Factory:

Any chance will be seeing a complete series set of "One Day At A Time" this holiday season? Since you have already released "All In The Family", "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman", "The Jeffersons" and "Maude", I believe this is one of the last popular Norman Lear series you haven't released yet.

ANSWER From Shout! Factory:

No chance of that, sorry.

Any chance of the MTM series "Phyllis" being released on DVD? Along with the 5th and last season of "Rhoda"?

No plans for those that I'm aware of, sorry.

Any word that you will get the rights to "The Drew Carey Show" and release a complete series box set?

No word, but it's on our radar for sure.

Now I do realize that "The Drew Carey Show" is a Warner Brother's property, but I had asked last week about "Knots Landing" (which is also a Warner Brothers property) to Shout! Factory (which was also a "no - go" from them as well). However, Warner Brothers has license the rights to Shout! Factory for other shows such as "Welcome Back Kotter" (just last year) and a 90's comedy starring SNL player Norm McDonald, "Norm". Both shows received complete series sets. That's why I asked Shout! Factory about "The Drew Carey Show", which I felt a "little" hopeful that they have an eye for this show.

I was not surprised by the answers for "Phyllis" and "Rhoda". However, the biggest surprise (and disappointment) was the answer for "One Day At A Time". I thought for sure with all the other Norman Lear shows released around the holidays as complete series sets, "One Day At A Time" would be the next one.....apparently it is not!!!

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
While I tend to lean more on the pessimistic side, especially when it comes to Shout Factory, I'm not completely giving up on them eventually reconsidering and doing something with One Day at a Time. For a long time, they said no to the possibility of any sort of Maude release. And now the complete set is on my shelf in between the All in the Family and Mary Hartman complete sets. So while it seems bleak at the moment, I'm still holding out some hope. (Until then, at least I have my Antenna TV recordings.)

Has anyone asked them about Forever Fernwood?

Hasslein

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I was recording One Day at a Time until antenna TV started their credit crunch. Numerous people have complained on their facebook page, but they aren't listening. I was really hoping shout would release it, there aren't that many music segments. Maybe Don't Go Breakin' My Heart is really expensive and the dealbreaker...

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
What's Shout waiting for on Rhoda, Valerie not going to be around forever, especially with her recent episode, so if anything I'd be working on a complete series ASAP

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I was recording One Day at a Time until antenna TV started their credit crunch. Numerous people have complained on their facebook page, but they aren't listening. I was really hoping shout would release it, there aren't that many music segments. Maybe Don't Go Breakin' My Heart is really expensive and the dealbreaker...
Yeah, the Elton John song (and everything in the various musical episodes) might be the big stumbling block. Though even the non-musical episodes have potential issues. I think Grandma sang part of a Sinatra song in one episode. And in another, Schneider was dancing around the apartment singing "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head". I'm sure there are others, too.

mrz7

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott Zuncic
Dave Lawrence said:
While I tend to lean more on the pessimistic side, especially when it comes to Shout Factory, I'm not completely giving up on them eventually reconsidering and doing something with One Day at a Time. For a long time, they said no to the possibility of any sort of Maude release. And now the complete set is on my shelf in between the All in the Family and Mary Hartman complete sets. So while it seems bleak at the moment, I'm still holding out some hope. (Until then, at least I have my Antenna TV recordings.)

Has anyone asked them about Forever Fernwood?

Dave, I believe I saw a question that was just asked about "Forever Fernwood" today on Shout Factory's Facebook page.....but Shout! has not answered the question yet. If and when they do, I will try to remember to post it here on this topic. :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I wouldn't even bother wasting my time asking them about "Ironside" and "Marcus Welby, MD".

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I wouldn't even bother wasting my time asking them about "Ironside" and "Marcus Welby, MD".
Yeah, they're buried alongside Room 222 in Shout Factory's graveyard of unfinished TV releases.

(At least with Ironside, I was able to get the Region 4 versions of the remaining seasons. No such luck with the other shows Shout has given up on.)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Dave Lawrence said:
Yeah, they're buried alongside Room 222 in Shout Factory's graveyard of unfinished TV releases.

(At least with Ironside, I was able to get the Region 4 versions of the remaining seasons. No such luck with the other shows Shout has given up on.)
And Shout, let us never forget, has probably the longest list of unfinished shows on DVD of any label there is (I also forgot to mention "Fantasy Island")

I have decent enough boots of "Ironside" S5-8 and my 1993 recording of the reunion movie (which is why I'm not wasting money on an R4 set) but that title will always rankle me for how they misled fans about it for years.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I asked them about ODAAT about a month ago and got a similar response. Sadly Shout is probably our only hope for this series (although it also seems like a decent fit for VEI) so hopefully they change their mind in the future as they did with Maude.

Good news on Drew Carey though. Hopefully they can make it work. I really don't expect them to ever revisit their older stalled titles like Welby, 222, or Police Story, but the stalled newer Sony stuff like Fantasy Island and Different Strokes kinda surprise me that they don't try to complete the runs. I was really hoping they might do something with SIlver Spoons or Fall Guy.

I guess the question is, if we know what they aren't working on, what is their next move serieswise?

Guesses?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Titles Shout didn't finish that they were doing one season at a time:

-Different Strokes
-Fantasy Island
-Ironside
-Marcus Welby, M.D.
-The Paper Chase
-Peyton Place
-Police Story
-Police Woman
-Rhoda
-The Rookies
-Room 222
-Webster

Amidst all the things they have done with finished titles and complete series sets, that's still an abandoned output that exceeds every other studio label I know of. Universal for instance has by my count only three vintage stalled titles not licensed out to any other label (McCloud, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Amazing Stories. There is a rumor that some label might finish Baa Baa Black Sheep/Black Sheep Squadron)

stuartfanning

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stuart Fanning
The Paper Chase was the big disappointment for me. Just the short seasons 3 & 4 remain unreleased. 17 episodes I think. Why bother start releasing a series like The Paper Chase if you do intent to finish it?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
darkrock17 said:
No one asked about Green Acres?
No, but I asked them about The Beverly Hillbillies about a month ago. Here's my question to them:

Okay, guys, it appears CBS Home Entertainment has let us down yet again on The Beverly Hillbillies and Petticoat Junction, axing a planned October release for both. I'd love it, as would many others, if you'd step up to the plate and finish what CBS can't for some reason!

Here's their response:

Shout! Factory We'll dust off our cleats!

So, take that for what it's worth obviously, but if they do pick up the other two rural shows, perhaps they'll pick up all 3 Henning properties.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
stuartfanning said:
The Paper Chase was the big disappointment for me. Just the short seasons 3 & 4 remain unreleased. 17 episodes I think. Why bother start releasing a series like The Paper Chase if you do intent to finish it?

Some people would beg to differ, by saying that the CBS episodes were better, and that the show, at least as far as those people are concerned, is complete.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
Jack P said:
Titles Shout didn't finish that they were doing one season at a time:

-Different Strokes
-Fantasy Island
-Ironside
-Marcus Welby, M.D.
-The Paper Chase
-Peyton Place
-Police Story
-Police Woman
-Rhoda
-The Rookies
-Room 222
-Webster

Amidst all the things they have done with finished titles and complete series sets, that's still an abandoned output that exceeds every other studio label I know of. Universal for instance has by my count only three vintage stalled titles not licensed out to any other label (McCloud, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Amazing Stories. There is a rumor that some label might finish Baa Baa Black Sheep/Black Sheep Squadron)

Add Mr Belvedere to the list on unfinished Shout! titles.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Jack P said:
I'm still trying to figure out why Shout/Timeless chose to waste a lot of money and time on a reissue of "I Spy" that wasn't needed.
Because, IMO, Image had put too many episodes on a disc (6 per disc, IIRC), and the Shout!/Timeless release had it down to a more manageable 5 per disc, which I thought was far more sensible.

TV_Fan said:
Add Mr Belvedere to the list on unfinished Shout! titles.
Also, L.A. Law.

JMas

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Mason
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Some people would beg to differ, by saying that the CBS episodes were better, and that the show, at least as far as those people are concerned, is complete.

Weren't those Season 1 episodes of The Paper Chase from CBS cut on the DVDs?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks