What's new

Movies and TV on Digital Download or EST but not on Disc (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
I wanted to start this topic since I continue to see many TV and Films on Digital Sell Thru that are not currently on Disc in Region 1 (USA). If there is already a topic like this in this section, I apologize.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Smurfs Seasons 3-9 (never on Region 1 Disc but itunes and Amazon)

Many of the 1960s Paramount Titles (on itunes and Amazon)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Patrick Donahue said:
Not on Blu-ray or not on disc of any kind?
Yes movies and TV that have never been on a physical "Digital" format but are available as a EST or download. I mentioned Smurfs (These havent been available in Region 1). Someone also mentioned Paramount catalogue from the 1960s that are now on itunes which havent been on disc before. Im wondering if there are more out there?

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
You're not going to find a lot of movies that are available on EST but have never been released on DVD. Most of the movies that have never been released on DVD that are available on digital, are streaming only (for example, the Paramount Republic catalog on Amazon Prime). That's because they are the bottom of the barrel.

Of course there are quite a few EST movies available that have never been released on Blu-ray. But DVD is another story. The only movies that haven't been released are the ones not worth buying (for the most part).

It might be more practical coming up with a list of HD movies on EST that haven't been released on Blu-ray. The closest one I could find is a VUDU disc-to-digital list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RSjytgDMHy3ZvOBotkKFY8g-WBYwRQ9jGI9uM-xY1Go/pub?output=html

Of course that list is far from complete (here is the full menu of VUDU movies, but it's not in list form). But there are probably thousands of HD movies that haven't made it to Blu-ray yet. DVD? not so many.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bruceames said:
You're not going to find a lot of movies that are available on EST but have never been released on DVD. Most of the movies that have never been released on DVD that are available on digital, are streaming only (for example, the Paramount Republic catalog on Amazon Prime). That's because they are the bottom of the barrel.

Of course there are quite a few EST movies available that have never been released on Blu-ray. But DVD is another story. The only movies that haven't been released are the ones not worth buying (for the most part).

It might be more practical coming up with a list of HD movies on EST that haven't been released on Blu-ray. The closest one I could find is a VUDU disc-to-digital list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RSjytgDMHy3ZvOBotkKFY8g-WBYwRQ9jGI9uM-xY1Go/pub?output=html

Of course that list is far from complete (here is the full menu of VUDU movies, but it's not in list form). But there are probably thousands of HD movies that haven't made it to Blu-ray yet. DVD? not so many.
Bruce are the Paramount titles available to purchade via est on amazon?

P

Patrick Donahue

Yeah, I just couldn't think of anything that hadn't been released on at least DVD. EST movies that hadn't been released on Blu would actually be a very valuable list, but too many to list... unfortunately...

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
So...

Pure
Marfa Girl
Everyone Else

Are bottom of the barrell????

Has Filmmovement put everything they distribute on an actual disc?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
By "Bottom of the Barrel", is it in terms of:

- market demand ?

- critical acclaim + awards ?

- etc .... ?

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
jcroy said:
By "Bottom of the Barrel", is it in terms of:

- market demand ?

- critical acclaim + awards ?

- etc .... ?

Meaning B movies. They are not viable to release on DVD, but they make good padding for a la carte streaming content.

That's the biggest advantage of digital distribution. Just about everything can be made accessible.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
bruceames said:
Meaning B movies. They are not viable to release on DVD, but they make good padding for a la carte streaming content.

That's the biggest advantage of digital distribution. Just about everything can be made accessible.
I agree but hope that the accessible part means we get these as EST as well. I would think eventually we would.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Although all 70 Episodes of THE MUNSTERS have been available on DVD for about a decade now, the following 3 Season One Episodes are available without any Music Replacement only via U.S. Amazon's Digital Downloads:

1. Episode 12: The Sleeping Cutie - Includes original night of broadcast "Someday, My Prince Will Come" instrumental music, which can be heard a few times during the episode. Sound alike replacement music is used on all DVD versions!

2. Episode 22: Dance With Me, Herman - Includes original music, as "played" on the Munster Family Phonograph. This is replaced on the DVD issues.

3. Episode 26: Far Out Munsters - Original night of broadcast music, that once again, involves music played on the Munster's Phonograph, with exceptionally zany results! Notable in that the original "Just A Little" which Eddie Munster cheerfully identifies as being by The Standells (Who were the Guest Stars!), is actually a Beau Brummels recording! While in my opinion, the aforementioned gag isn't ruined by the substituted period sounding instrumental music, it still ISN'T original night of broadcast, as presented on the DVD sets!

For me, the most galling aspect is that, being outside of U.S. territory, I cannot access the U.S. Amazon Digital Download service in order to view these Episodes as originally broadcast! Ah, well! :(

CHEERS! :)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Tony Bensley said:
Although all 70 Episodes of THE MUNSTERS have been available on DVD for about a decade now, the following 3 Season One Episodes are available without any Music Replacement only via U.S. Amazon's Digital Downloads:

1. Episode 12: The Sleeping Cutie - Includes original night of broadcast "Someday, My Prince Will Come" instrumental music, which can be heard a few times during the episode. Sound alike replacement music is used on all DVD versions!

2. Episode 22: Dance With Me, Herman - Includes original music, as "played" on the Munster Family Phonograph. This is replaced on the DVD issues.

3. Episode 26: Far Out Munsters - Original night of broadcast music, that once again, involves music played on the Munster's Phonograph, with exceptionally zany results! Notable in that the original "Just A Little" which Eddie Munster cheerfully identifies as being by The Standells (Who were the Guest Stars!), is actually a Beau Brummels recording! While in my opinion, the aforementioned gag isn't ruined by the substituted period sounding instrumental music, it still ISN'T original night of broadcast, as presented on the DVD sets!

For me, the most galling aspect is that, being outside of U.S. territory, I cannot access the U.S. Amazon Digital Download service in order to view these Episodes as originally broadcast! Ah, well! :(

CHEERS! :)
Tom I was not aware of this and Im a big Munsters fan! Im going to have to revisit the series again! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks