What's new

The Gift (2015) (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I saw the trailer for this and figured it was going to be a typical standard thriller, but there was nothing else on I wanted to see so I decided to give it a go. Joel Edgerton has been doing some pretty interesting stuff anyway so I thought it might be worth it.

There is a real sense of unease that the film develops right from the start and what great is that the film constantly subverts your expectations all the way through. It is a shame the trailer suggest something that this is not, but then I suppose the pleasant surprise comes from how different this turned out to be. Sure there are a couple of really obvious jump scares but then they are used sparingly and even then, the film is really using them to suggest something and then subvert it into something more interesting

It is also a shame the trailer gives certain plot points away though the way they are used in the film is not at all what you expect. If you were put off a little by the trailer, which I was initially, then don't be. The only disappointment was the ambiguity and uncertainty that develops is resolved at the end when it probably didn't need to be - nothing wrong with the ending as such, just it seemed out of keeping with what had gone before.

4 out of 5

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I saw this excellent debut feature from director/writer/star Joel Edgerton on Friday, and I must say, I was thoroughly impressed.

Edgerton creates an atmosphere with rising levels of tension and threat, while simultaneously spinning a mystery that keeps the audience guessing. That he managed to write and direct his first feature, as well as turn in an incredible performance as a major character, is something to be celebrated.

I have seen some criticisms of overreliance on "jump scares", but this is preposterous. Jumps are used correctly, and are very few and far between in this film.

The marketing for this film in the USA has not been that great (apparently, Blumhouse changed the original title of "Weirdo" to the present one), and the trailers seem to both mislead and reveal too much at the same time.

This is a film where the less you know before you go in, the better. Best not to spoil more.

Please support the film and go see it in theaters, as it's well worth your time, and Mr. Edgerton really deserves it. In fact, I think I shall head back for a second viewing this week.

P.S. You should, of course, see any movie in theaters first, but for the curious:

New US distributor STX will, I assume, have to make deals for video, but the UK Blu-ray from Lionsgate is already available to pre-order, should a US option not appear:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Gift-Blu-ray/dp/B013JQ49TO/

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's a solid thriller. I'm not big on nitpicking but I do have to wonder why they live in a house that must cost at least a million bucks and they don't have any alarm system. That hardly derails the movie though.

And another topic,

(don't read before seeing the movie)

this movie has one of the most f-ed up forms of revenge I've ever seen.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was a solid drama-thriller, thought I think I got a little ahead of the story by the time the 3rd act rolled around. Not bad for a matinee viewing.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I was very impressed and agree with the OP's review. The film starts off a little weird, gets creepier, than tosses in two very nice twists. Never jumps the shark by getting ridiculous or spastic with unnecessary 'action'. Well acted, Jason Bateman is an extremely consistent performer. 25 years ago he was a little pudge clinging desperately to his sister's flash-pan fame coattails and after spending the 80s and 90s in TV he suddenly erupted during the 2000s to build a very respectable film career that has outlasted just about everyone of his generation.

The girl from Vicky-Cristina-Barcelona was spot-on in her part, as was the nemesis actor.

We enjoyed the film start to finish. 79/100

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
I thought it was a solid drama-thriller, thought I think I got a little ahead of the story by the time the 3rd act rolled around. Not bad for a matinee viewing.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Sounds about right. I knew almost literally nothing about "The Gift" before I saw it - I viewed no trailers and read no reviews. I knew it was a thriller with Jason Bateman and it'd gotten positive reviews - that was it.

I liked it but didn't love it. I thought it had some good twists and was enjoyable, but I wouldn't call it better than "pretty good"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks