What's new

Sub for LSR305 (1 Viewer)

jaykarnik

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Karnik
I purchased a pair of the JBL LSR305 a few weeks back... and I really love what they are...

But the bass which they produce is absolutely minimal so I am looking for a Sub which will take care of the lower end of the spectrum. The clarity of mids and highs is really great.

I am looking for something with a budget of 300$ at max.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

PS: How does the NXG's NX-BAS-500 stack up against the JBL LSR310s?

jaykarnik

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Karnik
schan1269 said:
200w 10" vs 300w 12"(been awhile since I looked up the NXG)...

Which do you think wins?

No idea what that comment is supposed to mean?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
When it comes to subwoofers, power and size actually do matter. The larger the cone diameter, the more air it is capable of pushing, and high volume at low frequencies requires a lot of power.

Those two factors alone, are never reason enough to choose one subwoofer over another - you need to consider overall frequency response and how it matches/blends with your mains, but if you're looking for high impact, chest-thumping bass, you need to go big and go powerful.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bass is all about moving air. The larger the diameter of the speaker, the more air it can move (all other things being equal). Wattage sometimes comes into play but you have to look at the enclosure design as well. Sealed subs are smaller and less efficient which means they need a larger amp to reach the same SPL as a more efficient model. Ported subs are larger and more efficient near the tuning frequency. Most of the time, they don't require a large amp.

In this case, Sam is trying to lead you into the conclusion that bigger is better when it comes to subs.

You provided information about your speakers but nothing about the room. Room plays the biggest factor in how a sub will work. If you are putting this in a 120 square foot bedroom and listen at moderate levels, then the 10" sub may be more than adequate. If you are putting this in a living room with an open floor plan to the kitchen and dining room then the 12" may not be big enough if you have very high expectations.

My media room is around 250 square feet with a 9 foot ceiling. If needed, I can shut the door and seal it off from the rest of the house. For most, a quality 12" sub would suffice but I'm not most. I want to feel the T-Rex when he is walking in the jungle. I want to feel explosions in action movies. Nothing in the retail market could match my goals and still be in my budget so I built my own subs. I run a pair these 15" monsters - https://web.archive.org/web/20070623145031/http://www.tcsounds.com/tc3000.htm and power them with a pro amp that pushes 800w to each. I also use a digital parametric EQ to flatten my in-room response to + or - 3db from 17hz to 120hz. When it cools off, I'm upgrading by adding more subs.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
At this price level, there is very little DSP.

Neither sub is going to rattle pictures off the wall 2 rooms away.

If you assume "all things being equal"(as in chosen driver in each is the same basic construction...with comparable efficiency spec)...

12" moves more air.

jaykarnik

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Karnik
My room size is 10x18x11 feet.

So is the NXG 12" good at 200 USD or are there some other options available?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Those are powered monitors, what are you driving them with?

The Dayton SUB-1200 gets a lot of acclaim. Likewise the BIC F12. If you spend a little more, you get into the $500 realm where subs like the SVS SB1000 and Hsu VTF-1 will blow away the Dayton and BIC.

The NXG got rave reviews, but lately there are many reports of QC issues, subs dying after a few months. The model has been discontinued, probably explaining its bargain price at Newegg.com. Roll the D20 for damage.... ;)

Two options : buy cheap now and upgrade sooner or later. Or invest a bit more in a future-proof sub. Your choice.

jaykarnik

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Karnik
Robert_J said:
At $500 you can get into some awesome DIY designs.

500$ is way out of my budget... Max I was thinking to push it to 350$ and get the companion LSR310S from JBL, But what i really want to know is whether it is worth paying the extra 150$ to get a sub which is 10 inch instead of 12 (Daytona/BIC/NXG) or is it just marketing hype?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
jaykarnik said:
500$ is way out of my budget... Max I was thinking to push it to 350$ and get the companion LSR310S from JBL, But what i really want to know is whether it is worth paying the extra 150$ to get a sub which is 10 inch instead of 12 (Daytona/BIC/NXG) or is it just marketing hype?
Depending on the brand, it's anything but "marketing hype," when you factor in reviews from people who listen to these things for a living. Sure, the diameter of the woofer matters, but so does the amp circuitry, the port (or lack of one), variable tuning options, etc. SVS' SB-1000 and PB-1000 and Hsu's VTF-1 aren't just better due to marketing.

E.g. someone said the NXG NX-BAS-500 was a great bargain (at the time of the review), stating it was surprising for a $300 sub to sound and perform comparably to $500 subs. Other reviewers claim that the SVS, Hsu subs are solid subs with performance and fidelity comparable to $1000 subs.

But if $500 is simply unrealistic for your situation, I think the BIC and the Dayton are good choices within your means. NXG ... well if $160 (current Newegg.com price) is throwaway money for you, you can take your chances.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
jaykarnik said:
Behringer NU1000 - $149

Alpine type R 12" sub - $180

1 sheet of MDF - $35

Use this design except cut the hole for a 12" - http://www.danmarx.org/audioinnovation/tcsounds.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks