What's new

Receiver stopped giving HDMI signal (1 Viewer)

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
All of a sudden my Yamaha HTR-4066 surround sound system does not relay the HDMI signal from my Directv receiver to the TV. When I turn on the Yamaha receiver, a message briefly appears, stating "Version error."

If I bypass the Yamaha receiver, connecting the Directv receiver directly to my Samsung TV, I am able to watch TV OK with sound, albeit without surround sound.

I did not change any cable connections. The Directv receiver "out" is plugged into the HDMI2 "in" port of the Yamaha receiver, and the HDMI "out" is connected to the HDMI1 "in" port on the TV, which is selected by remote control. I tried every possible button on the Yamaha remote (HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. and AVI1, AVI2, etc). Selecting HDMI1 used to work. Thinking a port might have become defective, I also tried using the HDMI1 and HDMI3 out ports on the Yamaha to feed a signal to the TV, which shows the message, "No signal...".

I'm wondering if Directv updated its software and now the Yamaha receiver no longer recognizes the TV signal, hence the "Version error" notification. Would the Yamaha HTR-4066 firmware need an update to work? Any ideas of what I might solve the problem?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Does the 4066 have a "signal info" display? Does it have onscreen menus, what results if you only do that?

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
Yes, the 4066 has a screen, which I looked at pressing every button on the control face; since no signal is being sent to the TV. I had no success, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

Yamaha offers a firmware update but states to firstly check the existing version. Typical, sooooooo typical of manuals, carefully following the steps add to my frustration. Press "Settings" on remote then select Network to obtain the firmware version. That just initiates the speaker setup. Grrr!

I have a DVD player connected to an input on the 4066 and that sends a signal to the TV fine. Anything else I can try?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Have you looked at p. 96 of the manual? Version error indicates a firmware update failure. Try updating the firmware as per p. 84.

BTW the 4066 has no "HDMI 3 OUT."

By screen, I mean on-screen display. P. 68 of the manual

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
Yikes! Rarely finding manuals helpful, I didn't look there. Thanks for the lead. I'll get onto it right away.

I was told by a motherboard manufacturer once that there is a 15% chance failure during a firmware update, so maybe that explains why the Yamaha manual instructs you not to perform an update "unless it's necessary." Since I can't determine the existing firmware version, I see no option but to go ahead and try the steps on p.84.

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
No question, the Yamaha manual is written by a sociopath: he or she typically skipped important steps. There is no excuse for that behavior. But after fiddling with the options, I managed to "successfully" update the firmware to the latest version (1.26), according to the receiver's display.

I used the thumb drive method to update. But I still get the "Version error" message. The steps to determine the currently loaded firmware do not work, so I cannot confirm if indeed the firmware was updated. Anything else I can try?

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
I've seen much worse manuals....

You may need to use warranty service, or return to the place of purchase if you can. Sounds like it's 'bricked." I've had a BD player do that with a firmware update (Samsung).

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Silly question.

Have you unplugged the power to the receiver and let it sit for 10 minutes or whatever then plug power back up to see if it resets something that might have had a little hiccup??

I've done this with oter A/V equipment with some success.

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
I'll try disconnecting the power and let the capacitors drain.

Directv did update its software on its receiver, so I'm guessing that the Yamaha receiver is no longer able to pass a signal on to the TV because Directv's update is not backward compatible.

Directv sent me a "new" (refurbished) receiver and the identical problem persists. Therefore I'm persuaded the issue is related to the the software update. When I connect the satellite receiver directly to the TV, everything works; but in bypassing the Yamaha HTR-4066, I don't have the quality of surround sound.

Having flashed the firmware on the HTR-4066 using a USB thumb drive (supposedly "successfully"), and not able to confirm the latest version (1.26) installed, I'll try the firmware update via the network. If that fails, I'll cancel Directv.

I must say the kind responses at this forum have helped me stay married: I'm not cussing or going ballistic in front of my sensitive wife while contending with this aggravating problem.

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
Nevermind, you said the dvd works fine.

Switch to the dvd, select OPTION SIGNAL INFO (p. 64), then switch to the DirecTV. What does the display show?

Added...

Rereading your description, it sure does sound like a DirecTV issue. Have you called them?

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
Sorry for being such a novice, but I don't know what you mean by "switch to DVD and select Option Signal Info," I did manage to follow the steps on p.64 of the manual, which brings up either "TV Scene 1" or "HDMI1" when pressing the Enter/Select button: it toggles back and forth between these two.

Meanwhile, on the TV screen, the message "No signal" remains, no matter whether I select the available option of HDMI1 or Componenet. So I cannot select "Directv" as instructed on p.64 as no menu appears on the TV. The Yamaha HTR-4066 simple does send any signal to the TV, which is a Samsung 55 UHD UN55HU8500F.

I updated the firmware again and the HTR-4066 again displayed "successful update." But I cannot confirm if indeed the update was successful as instructed by the Yamaha documentation.

I tried every HDMI input (there are five) as well as five AV inputs. There is no Component Video output on the HTR-4066, which, in my book, makes the receiver disappointing. But serves me right for expecting that option to be standard.

Directv sent me a replacement receiver but the problem remains. I told them that since the Ditrectv receiver updated its software, it is no longer compatible with my home theater system. I said that if they cannot roll back the update, I will cancel my subscription. They are sending a tech out on Monday at no charge.

The second TV in another room works OK, showing all the Directv stations, Netflix, YouTube, etc. But it's not connected to a surround sound system.

Gee this is frustrating. Thank you all for your patience with me.

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
The Directv technician came out and said the Yamaha receiver is defective. He tried a variety of HDMI cables, hooking up a DVD player then a laptop to the HTR-4066: neither of the devices recognized the HTR-4066.

I mailed a warranty claim to the vendor, Accessories4Less.com which promptly responded, stating that the cause of the problem is a cheap HDMI cable. I don't know how they determined the three HDMI cable I have plus the several used by the Directv technician are all not good enough. They work with other devices. If the cable I used is the cause, why did the system work for months? And why do all the cables we used work with other devices?

My DVD player is connected to the TV with a component cable. But I do have another that has a HDMI out (didn't recognize the HTR-4066 either). Everything I try works if I bypass the HTR-4066.

I'll ask Best Buy if they will issue a refund if the the most expensive cable they carry fails to solve my problem. But I get the sense that Accessories4Less will not accept anything less than me buying a cable from them.

I also request Yamaha to honor the warranty. I got a message cornforming they received the request and will respond in 24 to 48 hours. That was a week ago and northing since then.

ChromeJob, I tried the Option button but "No Signal" floats about on the TV screen. The HTR-4066 continues to display "Version Error" then "Access Error."

ChromeJob

Second Unit
Real Name
David S.
That sure seems conclusive. If A4L is really adamant about it being a cable issue -- is the response coming with a name of the support rep? -- I would buy a cable from them AFTER getting an assurance that if the brand new cable you buy doesnt resolve it, they give a full refund and return shipping for the AVR and the cable.

But…

How long have you had the AVR? If for months, I don't see how A4L is responsible for a return. It's a manufacturer warranty issue. Most vendors don't do warranty returns after 30, 60, 90 days (Costco and a few others being exceptions). Check A4L's site for their return policy. Complaining "my AVR worked for several months and now doesn't" is wasted effort if they only offer a 30-day money back warranty (like most).

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
I bought a $75 HDMI cable from Best Buy with the understanding I could return it if my system still failed, since Mark at Accessories4Less was certain that I was using an inferior cable. The gold-plated cable made no difference, so I got a refund.

"John" at Yamaha was very helpful in sending me an RMA and a return shipping label, after I explained all that I tried in detail. So it cost me nothing to have the 22 lb receiver shipped back to Yamaha. I was told the receiver would be repaired or replaced with a refurbished one. Yamaha honored the one year warranty. I doubt very much I'll ever buy a refurbished product again.

Djard

Grip
Real Name
Gerard
Issue resolved. Yamaha shipped back the receiver that now accepts a HDMI signal. The DirectTV box was also found to be coincidentally defective. All is working fine. I was a little disappointed with Accessories4Less from which I bought the Yamaha system: they insisted the cause of my problem I described was a cheap cable (without knowing what kind of cable I was using). Oh well, we all make mistakes. Thanks to all who offered help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks