What's new

W.C. Fields Comedy Essentials Collection - 18 films! (1 Viewer)

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
917p7MM%2B4wL._SY679_.jpg

W.C. Fields Comedy Essentials Collection is up for pre-order at Amazon for October 13 - 18 films on 5 discs. Found list of titles elsewhere on the web -

• Million Dollar Legs (1932)
  • If I Had a Million (1932) – First time on DVD in region 1
  • International House (1933)
  • Tillie and Gus (1933) - upgrade from MOD release
  • Alice in Wonderland (1933)
  • Six of a Kind (1934)
  • Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch (1934) - upgrade from MOD release
  • You're Telling Me! (1934)
  • The Old Fashioned Way (1934)
  • It's a Gift (1934)
  • Mississippi (1935)
  • Man on the Flying Trapeze (1935)
  • Poppy (1936)
  • The Big Broadcast of 1938 (1938)
  • You Can't Cheat an Honest Man (1939)
  • My Little Chickadee (1940)
  • The Bank Dick (1940)
  • Never Give a Sucker an Even Break (1941)
Follow the Boys (1944) which was included in 17-film UK release W.C. Fields: The Movie Collection is still missing in region 1.

Listed as extra on disc 5 - Wayne and Shuster Take an Affectionate Look at W.C. Fields (1965)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Wow nice. Not the biggest WC fields fan despite being a huge classic comedy fan but I will spring for a set like this for a good price. I had 7 of these on laserdisc and enjoyed them. Most of the others I have not seen but have always wanted to.

Now if only Universal would do something like this for the Olsen and Johnson and Ritz Brothers films they own.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I don't think I enjoy W.C. Fields enough to buy a boxset of films like this. It's good to see Universal bundling up these films in decent, SINGLE-SIDED disc sets. Maybe they will also release a better Deanna Durbin set to replace their flimsy 'Sweetheart Pack'.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
He was originally a Paramount star and then later a Universal star. Universal owns the rights to all of these so its a Universal set.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Five discs. Amazon pre-order price 99.98. I already have them all, so I'll probably pass unless there's a huge drop in price.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
$100 is quite expensive indeed. Odd considering Universal was doing quite well with their 8 and 10-film collections for roughly $10-15 each. Why does this demand $100, unless the packaging itself absolutely kicks ass--and I have a feeling it will be nowhere near as good as either the old collections or the UK set. Especially considering that absolutely no additional work on the transfers have been done for this set. Should have had a list price of $39.99 at most.

Speaking of the UK set, it is still a steal compared to this set. The odd difference is that it is missing Mrs Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch while this set is missing Follow the Boys. He is a relatively minor supporting character in both.

I would only recommend someone paying for this if they don't already own several of these. This is coming from a huge Fields fan.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I wonder if there is any chance at all of this set making it to bluray?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They probably have multiple movies on each disc. I have the ten movies on three disc set that came out a few years ago - no flippers, but most of the movies are only 60 or 70 minutes so there are 3-4 movies per disc.

Tough call for me about whether to get this - I've got 13 of the 18 titles here but am a big fan. I don't really want to double dip for SD DVD versions but I'm not holding my breath on HD releases either. And I know I have the best of the movies already. Might just be a wait and see and for the right price I'll jump.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Movie Maven said:
18 films on 5 discs....MMMMMMMM....do I smell flippers?
Universal are no longer doing flippers. Safe to say that. They've been reissuing a lot of their older flipper sets in new single-sided disc sets.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm interested... but only at a $30 price or less, especially considering 10 of the included films can be purchased in a Universal set for under $15 every day (which I purchased at WM for $10).

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
I'm a huge W.C. Fields fan. Bought the two sets that came out several years ago that only had 5 movies per set. Don't have 8 that are in this set, so will probably buy it.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Since I own the two 5 movie sets , I still need 8 of these movies . If this eventually comes out on Blu-ray, it would justify rebuying the films to get the new titles plus upgraded quality. But , a Blu-ray release seems like a longshot for these films

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
classicmovieguy said:
I don't think I enjoy W.C. Fields enough to buy a boxset of films like this. It's good to see Universal bundling up these films in decent, SINGLE-SIDED disc sets. Maybe they will also release a better Deanna Durbin set to replace their flimsy 'Sweetheart Pack'.
If Universal would release Deanna Durbin's One Hundred Men and a Girl and His Butler's Sister, i would be very happy!

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
I hope Universal will someday release pressed, non flip versions of the Bela Lugosi and Mae West Collections. Although, does one really need yet another copy of “My Little Chickadee”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks