What's new

Will Bringing Up Baby get a blu-ray release? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
A long time favorite of mine after having enjoyed the blu for Only Angels Have Wings so much would love to see this (and His Girl Friday) get blu-ray releases.

Bringing Up Baby.jpg

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
+1 for Bringing Up Baby and His Girl Friday on Blu.

Hopefully WB will be able to restore the few lines of dialogue missing from Bringing Up Baby. Googled it but can´t find any online info. As I remember it, only one or two sentences are missing (though they can apparently be heard on VHS releases of the film).

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Bringing Up Baby is a film that just always makes me laugh and really features great performances from Grant and Hepburn...and the rest of the cast is quite good too. I have had the DVD for years and honestly what is on it is a little rough so I wonder if the reason they have not released it on blu-ray is there is some work to be done on it first.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Reggie W said:
Bringing Up Baby is a film that just always makes me laugh and really features great performances from Grant and Hepburn...

I love the movie but find my enjoyment of it at any particular time is definitely mood-dependent. Sometimes I think it's the funniest thing in the world and yet, at other times, I would enjoy nothing more than seeing Kate's character at the bottom of the ocean with a brick tied around her neck. I have a similar ambivalence toward ARSENIC AND OLD LACE but BABY is still a favorite and a movie I genuinely like (MOST of the time, anyway...)

I'd love a blu-ray of it, too!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
darkrock17 said:
I'd love to have this screwball classic in my collection, but I doubt WB would give this a wide release and it would come from Archives instead. Criterion would give this film the treatment it deserves as well as the other 30's-40's classics as well.
If THE WOMEN can get a wide release, I don't see why BRINGING UP BABY could not. However, I'd be thrilled to see it turn up as a Warner Archive BluRay.

As far as the film itself, I love it, but the frantic pace does start wearing me out about ten minutes before it actually ends.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I have watched an HD master for this, as I guess it was prepared for streaming, but it doesn't look great. My guess is that it needs significant restoration for a Blu release. But, hey, we've seen some other RKO titles transformed (HUNCHBACK '39, CITIZEN KANE) so there is always hope.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
classicmovieguy said:
This all comes down to how viable the elements would be for a HD release. Remembering this is an RKO title and that library is problematic in many ways.
I have to assume that's been a big problem with this film. I would love to see Warner release it along with The Philadelphia Story onto BD. My favorite screwball comedy is His Girl Friday so I'm hoping Sony will get this out on BD in the near future.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I've found the absence of this classic from blu-ray rather hard to understand. I wonder if it might have something to do with WHV's Katherine Hepburn DVD collection being notoriously one of their poorer sellers late in the DVD era. I looked back at Mr. Harris's post on upcoming blus from WHV and WA (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/333087-a-few-words-about%E2%84%A2-warner-bros-home-video-the-wb-archive-collection-in-blu-ray/), and Hepburn (or Cary Grant) was not mentioned. Hopefully, things will change.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
Robert Crawford said:
I have to assume that's been a big problem with this film. I would love to see Warner release it along with The Philadelphia Story onto BD. My favorite screwball comedy is His Girl Friday so I'm hoping Sony will get this out on BD in the near future.
They can keep firing out the Cary Grant movies on Blu-Ray and I'll keep replacing my DVD's. Come on Warner and Sony (and whoever has "Topper" these days); modest little Olive, with their modest little series of Cary Grant Blu-Rays (each title the best-ever home video version), is making you look bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks